Search for content in message boards

Joseph S. & Julia Pullen Belcher of Franklin County, Virginia

Joseph S. & Julia Pullen Belcher of Franklin County, Virginia

lbelcher64 (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2012 1:15AM GMT
Classification: Query
Both lived in Snow Creek and later Rocky Mount. African American. Julia Pullen Belcher, born around 1858, daughter of Merrick and Perlina Pullen, said to be of American Indian ancestry as well. Joseph, born around 1852, was a farmer and preacher, son of Joseph and Nancy Belcher.

Joseph S. Belcher died in 1928. Julia died around 1942. They had acres of land on Route 3/South Main Street. They had many children including Nannie, William, Mary, Sarah, Lula, Perlina, Walter, Thomas, Florence, Joe. Their son Earnest remained in Rocky Mount and was a master carpenter known to build many structures around town. Earnest died in 1959 walking across 220 & hit by a car. He was married to Ella Patterson. Rocky Mount family residents have gone;perhaps someone remembers them.

Our family is making plans to have a reunion in Rocky Mount next year (2013). We are looking for information/ stories on our ancestors, or new family connections.

Thanks,
Lori Belcher

Re: Joseph S. & Julia Pullen Belcher of Franklin County, Virginia

shelleyatsuperpets (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2012 3:05AM GMT
In my book, Franklin County Cemeteries I find an Ernest Belcher ( no dates from tombstone) buried at Ernest Belcher Cemetery on left side of Business 220, 8/10 of a mile south of the Pigg River Bridge. That is all it says

there is a Julia F. Belcher b. June 24, 1839 and died Aug 6, 1923, buried James M Barbour cemetery, on 890 just above Snow Creek School, 2, no markers.There are 3 Williams, one buried by Julia, born Aug 27, 1903, died June 27, 1905.The other two Williams are buried in High Street Cemetery on High Street, Rocky Mount.
Thomas J. Belcher b. Mar 16, 1860 died Apr 10, 1952 buried in Benjamin F. Belcher Cemetery , south end of 619, goes across the mountains turn going south turn right 2 miles.
This is exactly what the book says, sorry no other info or other names mentioned. Hope it helps. You might try contacting the Franklin County Historical Society for more information.They have a website and email address, if you google it.
Good luck!

Posted: 4 May 2012 3:51AM GMT
I found Julia's obit in the Beckley Post-Herald, WV where son Thomas lived. If you would like it, please email me direct at:
shelleyatsuperpets@sbcglobal.net
It is dated May 1, 1942.

Shelley

lbelcher64 (View posts)
Posted: 4 May 2012 1:41PM GMT
Surnames: Belcher
Shelley,

I so appreciate your help (thus far). Your reply is appreciated. Amazingly, there was a white Julia F. Belcher in the Franklin County area as well! I already have the Beckley Post-Herald obit on Julia. This is so wonderful.

Lori

Posted: 5 May 2012 2:20AM GMT
Great, glad you already have it. I don't think I have ever researched a name of a person who didn't have someone else named for them.!! Good luck to you!
Shelley
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions