Search for content in message boards

Hilliard Judge WILLIAMS and wife Martha

Hilliard Judge WILLIAMS and wife Martha

audianaq41 (View posts)
Posted: 26 May 2007 6:55AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WILLIAMS, CASTLEBERRY
Does anyone know of Hilliard Judge WILLIAMS and wife Martha?
Hilliard was born 1808 in Screven Co., per 1850Census, and eventually went to Sabine Co, Texas where he died 1894. He was married to a Martha born c1812-1813 also in Screven Co.
In 1820 Census there is a William WILLIAMS in Screven Co who had 2 sons age 10-16 (born bet 1804-1810) and Hilliard could be one of his sons. Does anyone know anything about family of William WILLIAMS?

In 1840 Hilliard and wife Martha were in Wilkinson Co GA:
1840 Census, Wilkinson Co GA
Hilliard J WILLIAMS 1 male under 5, 1 male bet 20-30, 1 fem under 5, 1 fem 20-30

In 1850 he was in Muscogee Co GA and the census shows his children:
1850 Census, Muscogee Co GA
H J Williams 42 Screven Co GA
Martha 38 Screven Co GA
David S age 16 Wilkinson Co GA>> my interest
Laura age 11 Wilkinson Co GA
John age 8 Muscogee Co GA
William 5 Muscogee Co GA
Mary 3 Muscogee Co GA

Later in 1870 and 1880 he and wife Martha were in Sabin Co Texas. He was shown as widower in 1880 Census, and I found him buried in a Williams Family Cemetery in Sabin Co in 1894 with CW info:
WILLIAMS, Hilliard Judge 1808 1894 Georgia Capt 1107 Militia Dist Confederate States Army
See http://www.rootsweb.com/~txsabine/burials/williams_cemetery....

Does anyone know where the Civil War District 1107 in GA was, where he was a Captain?

His son David S WILLIAMS, born in Wilkinson Co GA, located to Clay Co AL where he died 1923 in Ashland, Clay Co AL. He married Lavinia T CASTLEBERRY c1870 in Alabama.

1870 Census, Clay Co AL
D S Williams age 32, born GA, married in Feb (within theyear), farmer
L F Williams age 19, AL
David CASTLEBERRY age 16, works on farm, born AL

1900 Ashland, Clay Co AL
David S Williams 65 GA GA GA m30yrs, farmer
Luevenia F Williams 49 11/1850 AL NC TN m30 5 children 5 living
Carl a Williams 29 son 11/1870 AL GA AL no occupation shown ????
Howard T Williams 16 2/1884 son AL GA AL at school
James Castlebury 62 bro-in-law 12/1837 widower m24 AL NC TN farm labor
Henry Pope 14 servant black AL UNK UNK

They had a son Thomas Howard(shown as Howard T in 1900CR) WILLIAMS b 2/1884 who married my grandfather's sister, Mary Ella WILLIAMS, of Talladega Co AL. They located to Birmingham where they both died.

Am interested in Hilliard J WILLIAMS ancestors.

Thanks, anyone who has some information on Screven Co. WILLIAMS in early 1800s.

Diana in Pelham AL
A nee WILLIAMS

Re: Hilliard Judge WILLIAMS and wife Martha

MKimbro55 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:57PM GMT
I ran across this information today in my notes. Not sure where I got it.
Hillard Judge Williams b 1808 Screven Co, Ga. son of David and ??He had 2 siblings Daniel and 1/2 brother Lewis Sullivan Williams(his mother Sarah Moss) Hillard and Daniel married sisters, Martha and Mary Mobley.
H J and Martha's children:
1. David S Williams b 1834 Wilkerson Co, Ga,
2 Laura(Louisa) b Nov 23, 1839 Wilkerson Co, Ga
3.John Williams b 1842 Muscogee Co, Ga
4.William Williams b 1845 , Muscogee Co, Ga
5 Mary E"Molly" b 1849 muscogee Co Ga, married Henry Green Smith
Hilards 1/2 brother, Lewis married brothers's daughter, Frances E. L Wlilliams.
Both brothers went to Sabine Co. Tx but only 2 daughters went.

I hope this will give you some clues.

audianaq41 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2007 3:24AM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAMS, MOBLEY
Margaret......

It certainly does. Confirms what I had thought, but I didn't have Martha MOBLEY's last name. Thank you for this information........

So.....Hilliard was a son of a David WILLIAMS who must have married twice since he has Lewis S., a half brother, whose mother was Sarah MOSS. Who was older? David, Daniel or Lewis S.? Which brother was Frances E L Williams's father? I presume Daniel?

Does anyone know who David WILLIAMS's the other wife was? She would be mother of Hilliard and Daniel?

Since the 1850 Census showed that Martha was also born in Screven Co GA, does anyone have MOBLEY family ties there?

In one of the court records in Chattahoochie Co, there was a Thomas MOBLEY who witnessed a will in 1856 of Leroy WILLIAMS, and Hilliard was the executor......Thomas must be related to Marth and Mary MOBLEY.
Any idea how Leroy WILLIAMS is related? Maybe he is another brother of Hilliard?

p 284 of 'History of Chattahoochee County, Georgia', Rogers, N. K., Columbus, Ga.: Printed by Columbus Office Supply Co., 1933:
Hilliard J WILLIAMS was executor of estate of Leroy WILLIAMS, was named in will dated 3/22/1856 and probated 4/11/1864. Leroy's wife was Harriet. Witnesses were Burell WILLIAMS and Joel WILLIAMS, Thomas MOBLEY, and Thomas W . Howell, JP.

Thank you for replying with your notes. I will do some more checking in Screven Co since both MOBLEY and WILLIAMS there......

Diana in Pelham AL

MKimbro55 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jun 2007 11:31PM GMT
I know how I got this information. I was researching Burrel Williams. I have him married to Lavina Mobley.Under the Mobley Family:
James H Mobley , 46, Farmer,1850 Census of Burke Co.
Susannah 28, Wm L 14, Martha E 13, James A 18,Frances E 7.

Patience Mobley buys from Wm E Mealing ,of Muscogee Co, his one sixth part of tract of 338 acres given by Wm L Mobley in 1801 to Wm, Lavina, Eliz, Mary, James and Ellen Mobley for 100.00 Dec 17, 1828, Record Aug 10, 1837

Burrell Williams, Lt War of 1812 and settled in Dooly Co, Ga.

Re: Hilliard Judge WILLIAMS and wife Martha and Burrell

audiana (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2007 12:24AM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAMS, MOBLEY, ROBINSON
Burrell was mentioned in wills as a witness in 1850s in Chattahoochie Co GA, and on 1860Census in Cusetta:

Hilliard J. WILLIAMS is shown as Judge in Chattahoochee Co GA of Inferior Court 3/14/1856-1/14/1857 when the court was created on 2/13/1854 there. source: 'History of Chattahoochee County, Georgia', Rogers, N. K., Columbus, Ga.: Printed by Columbus Office Supply Co., 1933, p 252.

Hilliard J was executor of estate of Leroy WILLIAMS, in will dated 3/22/1856 and probated 4/11/1864. Leroy's wife was Harriet. Witnesses were Burell WILLIAMS and Joel WILLIAMS, Thomas Mobley, and Thomas W . Howell, JP.
p 284 of same above source.

6/1857 - He was appointed admin of estate of John F WILLIAMS, dec'd - Bond of $11,800.00 - with Lorenzo D WILLIAMS, Burrell WILLIAMS, Leroy WILLIAMS, Caleb Gallops, Burrell H Robinson, and Jacob H Clark Jr, security. - p 286

Jan 1860 term. Hilliard J WILLIAMS, Adms John ROBINSON, with L D WILLIAMS, Burrell WILLIAMS, Caleb Gallops, H C McCALL, and Jacob PARKER assess year's support for widow and children. Nancy ROBINSON, widow of John died 1/13/1860. p 289.

1860 Census, Cusetta PO, Chattahoochee Co GA, Dist 787:
H J Williams, farmer, age 52, GA
Martha age 47, GA
Mary age 13, GA, school
next door is:
L D WILLIAMS age 54 or 57, farmer, GA (Lorenzo D)
wife Mary age 45, and several children
then
Burrell WILLIAMS, age 45 or 48? GA, farmer, living alone

Burrell must have been a widower by 1860?

It seems that they were all brothers?
Hilliard J, Leroy, Lorenzo D, Burrell, and maybe Russell Williams? Who was JOhn F WILLIAMS that died in 1857?
I wonder if Nancy ROBINSON was a nee WILLIAMS, and a sister?

1850 Census, Muscogee Co GA
H J Williams 42 Screven Co GA
Martha 38 Screven Co GA
David S age 16 Wilkinson Co GA>>
Laura age 11 Wilkinson Co GA
John age 8 Muscogee Co GA
William 5 Muscogee Co GA
Mary 3 Muscogee Co GA
Russell age 38 Wilkinson Co GA
David 19 Dooly Co GA
Martha 19

Is Dooly Co near Chattahoochie?

Diana in AL

MKimbro55 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:21PM GMT
More information on your Williams.
Mr. Burrell WILLIAMS, a well-known and highly esteemed citizen of this county, died Wednesday evening from the effects of a blow received from Mr. McRAE with a fence rail, while they were engaged in a desperate encounter last Friday. This occurrence is a very sad one, and is deeply regretted by the people of this community."

[From the "Columbus, Georgia, Enquirer-Sun" newspaper, Friday, 31 MAR 1876, p. 3. Does anyone know where the Randall Creek community is or was? Is this the same man as (or kin to) Burrell WILLIAMS (b. ca. 1814 Wilkinson Co, GA), who had brothers Noah (b. ca. 1803), Lorenzo Dow (b. ca. 1803 Screven Co, GA?), Daniel (b. ca. 1807 Burke Co, GA?) and Hillard Judge (1808 Screven Co, GA?-1891 TX). These men are said to be sons of David S. WILLIAMS. Lorenzo Dow had a son named Burrell D. WILLIAMS (1845 Muscogee Co, GA-1919 Chattahoochee Co?, GA) - jml]

You can contact the owner of this information at retrofit@flash.net

MKimbro55 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Jun 2007 10:31PM GMT
Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service
Jump to Forum

Home: Surnames: Williams Family Genealogy Forum

WILLIAMS - GALLOPS link in NC/GA
Posted by: John Mallory Land Date: May 18, 2000 at 06:26:37
of 32030

I am seeking data on the following WILLIAMS family:

In June 1857, Hilliard J. WILLIAMS was appointed administrator of the estate of John F. WILLIAMS, deceased, with Lorenzo D. WILLIAMS, Burrell WILLIAMS, Caleb GALLOPS,
Burrell H. ROBINSON, Joel WILLIAMS, and Jacob H. CLARK, Jr. as securities.

Lorenzo Dow WILLIAMS (above) m. Mary CULBREATH and is said to have had seven
sons, including Noah WILLIAMS, John Wesley WILLIAMS, Reuben E. WILLIAMS, and Burrell D. WILLIAMS, who m. 1864 in Chattahoochee Co, GA, to Mary Elizabeth ROGERS, dau. of Burleson Pinckney & Sarah Ann (UNDERWOOD) ROGERS.

Also,the will of Leroy WILLIAMS (made 22 MAR 1856) was probated in Chattahoochee Co, GA 11 APR 1864, naming his wife Harriet WILLIAMS, executor Hilliard J. WILLIAMS, and witnessed by Thomas MOBLEY, Burrell WILLIAMS, Joel WILLIAMS, and Thomas W. HOWELL, J.P. [This is perhaps the same Harriet WILLIAMS, age 45 and b. in GA, who appears in the household of John and Martha Ann (WEATHERS) PATE on the 1860 census of Chattahoochee Co, GA.]

I wish to determine if this family is connected to individuals who are party to a deed dated 17 FEB 1827 and recorded in Book EE, p. 22, in Pitt Co, NC, in which grantor Sally (GALLOPS) WILLIAMS grants property to her niece Betsey BRYAN; her husband John
WILLIAMS; her brother Isaac GALLOPS and wife Nancy GALLOPS; and her sister Celia "Patsey" PATE and husband Jordan PATE. This may be the Jourdin PATE who resided in Jones Co, GA at that time and drew land in Muscogee Co, GA, in the 1827 land lottery.

Isaac GALLOPS m. 07 JAN 1841 in Muscogee Co, GA to Martha PATE. William GALLOPS m. 19 SEP 1859 in Chattahoochee Co, GA to Nancy WILLIAMS. I would be glad to share what information I have on these families and their kin. Thanks.

John Mallory Land
retrofit@flash.net

Also I found Ann Williams b 1842 , dau of Daniel Williams and Mary Moble,married a Gallops in San Augustine, Texas.
Hope this helps Margaret

audiana (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jun 2007 9:55AM GMT
Thanks Margaret.
I will contact retrofit!

Diana in AL

barbadosdiva (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2008 8:17PM GMT
Surnames: Williams
All,

Does anyone have any personal papers on Mr. Hilliard Judge Williams? From the 1870 census, I see that my great-great grandfather was living with him as a servant (as were his siblings, I am assuming that's who the other young adults were). I am just assuming they were once slaves in his home, and they stayed on with him after emancipation because they were so young. It also appears that one of the oldest children living with him at the time, Lucy, gave birth to 2 boys by the time of the 1880 census who were listed as mulatto. Given H.J. Williams age, I have doubts that they were his children, but who knows. Any information about H.J. and Martha's lives in Georgia or while they were in Sabine County would be helpful because it would help me to piece together what my family's life was like back then (I am the only person in my family with any information about these particular individuals). Thanks!

audianaq41 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Mar 2008 8:20AM GMT
Surnames: WILLIAMS, MOBLEY
I don't have any papers at all!

The 1870 Census showed 3 black children with Hillard and his wife in Sabine Co. TX, all born in GA. Are these any of your family?

Sabine Co TX 1870:
H J Williams age 63, GA farmer
Martha age 57, GA keeping house
Lucy WILLIAMS black servant age 16 GA
Rich WILLIAMS black servant age 12 GA
Lydia age 10 black servant 10 GA

In 1880 Census, Hilliard was alone. I guess Martha had died between 1870-1880:
1880 CR Sabine Co TX, precinct 4
Judge H WILLIAMS age 73 widower, GA GA GA farmer

He is buried in Williams Cemetery, Sabine Co TX with death year of 1894.
WILLIAMS, Hilliard Judge 1808 1894 Georgia Capt 1107 Militia Dist Confederate States Army

Would anyone know where Dist 1107 Militia unit, CSA was in GA? Would it have been in Chattahoochie Co GA? That is where he was living in 1860 before the war. He is in Sabine Co TX by 1870.

I wonder if his will/estate file would show any mention of your family?

Do you live in Sabine Co or know anyone there now? Someone could probably go to the Probate/Wills office where estate files are kept and review his file from 1894.

Good luck....
Diana in AL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions