Search for content in message boards

Whitlow from Ala, Ga, and NC....

Whitlow from Ala, Ga, and NC....

angelaangela58 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Sep 2002 5:04PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Carroll ,Whitlow and etc.....
hi im looking for William whitlow b. abt. 1792 in NC. marrie Permelia Allen born abt 1806 in GA. had a child Joseph S. whitlow born abt. 1837.. in Ga. in the 1870 alabama census Joseph was married to Margaret and having two children.im thinking the names are William Thomas Whitlow born 1867 chambers county , ala. and George J. Whitlow born 1869 in chambers county co. Ala. Joseph also married Minerva Carroll born abt. 1841 in Chambers co. Ala. any info. on them would be great. im also researching Minerva Carroll. she is my ggreat aunt.im hoping someone will see this and put it all together for me.Minerva is my ggreatgrandfathers sister. his name is Samuel B. Carroll...

Re: Whitlow from Ala, Ga, and NC....

suberry (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2006 9:29PM GMT
Hello Angela,

My husband descends from James Henry WHITLOW, son of that same William (M.) WHITLOW, of Chambers Co., AL, & Malinda Ann MAXWELL - his wife prior to Permillia Hudson ALLEN. The WHITLOW - ALLEN marriage bond was in Clarke Co., GA. The WHITLOW - MAXWELL bod in Madison Co., KY. He lived for a time (1820 census and Deeds) in Overton Co., TN, nearby Malinda's MAXWELL relatives. I have 2 sons for Malinda MAXWELL and 10 children for Permilia Hudson ALLEN.

This William. WHITLOW was the son of John WHITLOW (Sr.) and Eleanor NOWELL, of Caswell Co., NC, and Clarke Co., GA. John & Eleanor lived in that part of Clarke County now within Oconee County boundaries. The WHITLOW property was inherited by an unmarried son, John Jr., whose estate division is worth studying. Eleanor Nowell died there, said to be buried on "Whitlow Hill".

Yes, there was a second marriage for Permilia Hudson ALLEN'S son, Joseph Samford WHITLOW. I remember seeing a maiden name somewhere but cannot lay hands on it just now. His second wife may have been the mother of all Joseph's children.

Several years ago, Woodrow Golden, of Five Points AL, tracked down a Bible I'd heard about and photo-copied the family record pages for me. Mr. Golden was descended from the other son of Malinda MAXWELL, John Wesley WHITLOW (m. Semina Ann SMITH). The Bible belongs to his first-cousin, a daughter of Rachel Francis (GOLDEN) BARBER. It was one of two Bibles her son found in the abandoned home of Ellen (WHITLOW) BARBER, sister to Woodrow Golden's grandmother, Emma (WHITLOW) GOLDEN.

The groupings of Whitlow grandchildren were set apart from other family groups by hand-drawn lines. On page 3, this set matches The children in Joseph Samford WHITLOW & Margaret's home (1880 Chambers Co. AL) ... with these exceptions:
1. William Thomas's birth is entered in the column opposite J. S.'s birth entry (page 2): "William Whitlow was born Dc the 23 1867 the first child of J. S. Whitlow".
2. the youngest son, Vinson, was recorded in the column opposite his brother George but very faded: " Vinson Whitlow was born _pril 2_ (28?) 1879.
3. The last entry in this group was for "Elizabeth (second name too faded to decipher, with Whitlow added at an angle from it) born Oct 2, 1835" Then, in the column opposite, very faint " died Aug 2_ (27?), 19__(from the stong down-stroke it could be 1921, 1924, 1927 or 1929?)." (Likely the second wife was Margaret Elizabeth, showing as Margaret E. in the census accounts.)

George junior was born (I read a lower-case j, but could be IIvniow)
June the 1 1869

Josefe Henry was
born August 28. 1870

Edwin Parker
was born April
the 28. 1872

Mary Jilor (Jiloe?)
was born October
the 10(?) 1875

Page one, first column:
William Whitlow was born June 10th 1793 +
was married first to
Malinda Maxwell the 21*
day of January 1819 was married
the second time to Perme
-lia H Allen who was
born May 4th 1806

second column opposite first line:
and died the 20th ofApr 1864

Note: *The date could be 2d and "second day" was intended.

Page two, first collumn:
9) Joseph S. Whitlow was
born July 10th 1837

I'm sorry to have to say I don't find Minerva Carroll in these pages. The hand writing for most the grandchildren's entries is very different from the original hand, which was strong and legible, Likely they were written after all but perhaps Vinson were born.

Good luck searching,
Susan

Parents for Minerva and Samuel Carroll?

suberry (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2006 9:32PM GMT
Do you have a family group sheet for this brother and sister?

Whitlow / Golden's of AL

Tiffany (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2006 8:23PM GMT
Surnames: Whitlow / Golden
Does anyone have information on the families of Columbus Whitlow and Mamie Lee Ray Golden? They had 2 daughters: Elsie Pearl Golden Hogan (my Great grandmother) and Lamerle Golden Dutton (my Great, Great Aunt) they were born in Camp Hill, AL (or Sand Mountain, AL) I believe.

sweetytweety4321 (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2006 3:08PM GMT
Surnames: Whitlow and Carroll
HI Susan,

Sometimes Minerva was called Margaret. I dont understand why. If this is the same person she was the daughter of Patrick Carroll and Jane A. Bell (Bill). This family didnt leave a good paper trail to follow. Patrick and jane were married in 1837 or 39 in chambers county alabama. but the only census i can find them in is the 1860. with all the children listed but one Samuel B. Carroll was born 1862. I know Patrick was killed in the Civil War. and 3 of his children lived with Janes brother and 2 sisters. I can Minerva married to Joseph Whitlow. But the other children i cannt find anything on. but i can find their children . Its like they all went into hiding. and their children came out of hiding. Good luck.

Thanks Angela

Re: Parents for Minerva and Samuel Carroll?

Posted: 31 Oct 2006 3:15PM GMT
Surnames: Carroll
HI Susan,

In the 1860 census it has the children as follows.

Patrick age 48 born Ireland
Jane age 35 born South Carolina
Minerva Age 19 born ala
Thomas Age 12 born ala
Alonzo age 10 born ala first name was christopher
James age 8 born ala
Mary age 7 born ala
Louisa age 4 born ala
Ellen age 1 born ala

County of Chambers Alabama

Hope this helps
Angela

Re: Whitlow / Golden's of AL

Posted: 31 Oct 2006 3:23PM GMT
Surnames: whitlow
Hi Tiffany,

I just looked for you and the only thing i can find is a obit. for one of Columbus Daughter. That died in Lagrange Ga. You might want to see if that helps you at all.

Re: Whitlow / Golden's of AL

Tiffany (View posts)
Posted: 1 Nov 2006 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Whitlow / Golden
Thanks for looking! Yes, that was my Great, great Aunt LeMerle Golden Dutton. Amazing that I can't find anything else on Columbus Whitlow!

suberry (View posts)
Posted: 27 Nov 2006 7:32PM GMT
Hello again, Angela,

I was pretty certain Elizabeth from the bible record was not the same as Minerva and your census abstract helps to show why - Minerva with her parents is age 19, in 1860, when Elizabeth b. 1835 would have been age 25 that year. If there is a death record for Minerva, I don't have it. Do you?

Thanks so much for adding detail to the extended family for us. Sorry I couldn't return the favor with something for you on Samuel B. Carroll. Good luck.

Susan

William C. Whitlow burial Thrasher Cemetery , Oconee Co., GA - Re: Whitlow from Ala, Ga, and NC.

lesleygunnellsramos (View posts)
Posted: 22 Apr 2011 7:29PM GMT
Surnames: WHITLOW
Hello,

I am trying to find Whitlow's who ended up in Chambers Co., AL. My Whitlow relations are: Ethel Lorena Whitlow 1880-1949 (m. Wiley Perry Jordan), Ethel's father James Asbury Whitlow b. ~1852-1890 (d. Lafayette, Chambers Co., AL), his father Junius Asbury (?) Whitlow. The Whitlow family appears to have been in Columbia Co., AR? In GA? in NC?

I think the below headstone reads William C. Whitlow (not G. as a middle initial). I did a Photoshop filter on the fairly nice photo (http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaoconee/cemeteries/Thrash..., and http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~gaoconee/cemeteries/Thrash...) of this headstone and the letter is a font with "a tail" on it which could be mistaken as a G.

Note that there is a William C. Whitlow on a 1900 census in Salem, Oconee Co., GA just a few miles from the Thrasher Cemetery sometimes called the Thrasher-Whitlow Cemetery in Oconee Co., GA. The 1900 census said William Whitlow's birth month was April, and the below says March. Seven years after the 1900 US Federal Census the below died.

William C. Whitlow
http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=45...

Birth: Mar. 8, 1847
Death: Feb. 24, 1907

Thrasher Cemetery
Oconee County
Georgia, USA

Created by: nnbedell
Record added: Dec 19, 2009
Find A Grave Memorial# 45616408

Other items of interest:

N33°43.348' W083°25.272
Thrasher Cemetery, Oconee Co., GA (near Salem, Oconee Co., GA)
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions