Search for content in message boards

Dempsey Rivers and his wife Nancy McDuffie

Dempsey Rivers and his wife Nancy McDuffie

Charlie (View posts)
Posted: 17 Dec 2002 8:44PM GMT
Classification: Query
Looking for information on Dempsey Rivers an early pioneer of Chattooga County, his wife Nancy McDuffie and his brother Michael Rivers. Thanks, Charlie

Re: Dempsey Rivers and his wife Nancy McDuffie

bcavin112 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2008 8:06PM GMT
My name is Beth Cavin. Dempsey Rivers and Nancy McDuffie are my great-great-great grandparents. Dempsey was born Dec. 13, 1997 in Cheraw District SC and died April 13, 1870 in Chattooga Co. Georgia. He was married to Nancy M. McDuffie in 1818 in SC. Nancy's mother was Flora McFarland who was married to a Mr. McDuffie. Her children were Nancy(m.Dempsey Rivers), Elizabeth(m.Coleman Ford), and Mary(or Polly)(m. David Rosser). Flora was married second to a Mr. Wilson. My Dempsey Rivers is the son of William Rivers who we believe to be the William Jr. in the William Rivers/Temple Dempsey line though we cannot document it. In 1936 my gguncle C.D. Rivers received a letter from a Mrs. Robert Rivers of Chesterfield SC in which she indicated that the children of William Rivers/Temple Dempsey were:
I.Mark b. abt. 1735
m. Miss Brown
Children: 1- Betsey b1784 d1844
m. 1804 William Rivers(1st cousin)
m. 2nd Betsey ?
Children: 1- Matthew
2- Mark
3- Luke
4- John
m. 3rd Katie Parker
Children: 1- Sam - m. Annie Parker, went to GA
2- Flora- unmarried
3- Mark - went to MO
4- Sarah- unmarried
5- Martha- married Mr. Moore in GA
6- Wesley- married in GA

II. William Jr. - b.1737

III. Frederick - b.1739 d.1810, m. Sarah Purvis b. abt.1745
d. 1814

This Mrs. Robert Rivers had full records of Frederick Rivers. She wrote that she had visited two relatives, a Mrs. Thurman,89, and a Mr. Rivers,90, who firmly believed that family tradition plus facts would show our Dempsey Rivers to have been the son of William Rivers Jr.

I do know that our Dempsey Rivers had a brother named Michael Rivers(not listed is Mrs. Robert Rivers letter) who migrated to Dekalb Co. GA in 1826 with Dempsey from SC. 1830 Dekalb Co. census lists Michael and Dempsey living side by side amid several families of Thurmans. The Thurman and Rivers families have intermarried frequently through the years. Michael and Dempsey moved to Chattooga County GA in 1832. An 1840 Chattooga Co. census again lists them side by side. Michael and his wife Angela lived for a while on Dempsey's farm, Riversdale. Family history says that after a few years in Chattooga Co. Michael felt the area was becoming too populated and so moved on. We have no record of where.
Our family history tells of a Nellie Rivers who married Benjiman Thurman Jr. and Sallie Rivers who married Ben Little. We believed these two to have been sisters of Michael and Dempsey.

Dempsey Rivers and Nancy McDuffie's children:
1 - William b.1822-1824 died in infancy
1 - Eliza b.1820 m.Richard Stanton
3 - Elizabeth(Betty) b.1822 or 1824 d.1855 m. Hales Rice
4 - Mary Alice b.1826 d.1910 m.Joseph kellett
5 - Nancy b.1828 d.1906 m.Norman Ford
6 - Sarah b.1830d.1909 m.John White Thurman(his 2nd wife)
7 - Dempsey James b. 1832 m.Ann Shirling
8 - John Wesley b.1834 d.1913 m.Eliza Jane Thurman(this is
my gggrandfather)
9 - Martha b.1836 d.1855
10 - Jane b. 1838 d. 1855

John Wesley Rivers Children:
Clovis Dempsey Rivers
Octavia Elizibeth Rivers
Martha Jane(or Ann) Rivers
Cordelia Vashti Rivers
John Jay Rivers
Lillie Rivers(my ggrandmother)
Hillary Herbert Rivers
James Gordon Rivers

I have some more info. on marraiges, family stories,etc. I live on the land that Dempsey Rivers settled in 1832 in what was then Floyd Co. GA. It is now Chattooga Co. GA(formed in 1838). Chattooga Co. was formed from parts of Walker and Floyd counties.
I don't know if this has helped you any and you may not even get this since the post I am replying to is so old. Let me know if this helped and I would be interested in any family history that you have which is relevant to this line.
Thanks, Beth

powerfulpuffin (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2010 4:58PM GMT
Surnames: rivers, shirling, schley
Wow - what an amazing summary of Dempsey and his line!

I'm related through Dempsey James (Dempsey's son) wife - Ann Shirling. After Dempsey died (don't have any firm details on this...around 1879), she remarried Jacob Schley in Lowndes County, AL. This couple would have been my GGGrandparents. They raised Dempsey & Ann's children - James W. and Mark Anthony, and had 3 of their own. P.V. (seemed to die young), Maud (my GGrandmother, b. 1885), and Frank (b. 1881). No sign of Ann or Jacob after Maud's birth. Maud was living in 1900 with cousins in Birmingham, and Frank stayed on in the Lowndes County area. My Aunt recalls Maud (died in 1969) referring to herself as an orphan.

Does anyone have information about this line?

thanks,

bill

CharliePurvis40 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2010 8:42PM GMT
Beth & Bill,

I have researched the RIVERS of CHESTERFIELD COUNTY, SC for almost 40 years. I have an extensive database and primary source document file on these families. I have also researched your DEMPSEY RIVERS LINE EXTENSIVELY. However, I HAVE NOT been able to tie them to a specific WILLIAM RIVERS. Based on the 1800 CENSUS you are right in your assessment that the ONLY WILLIAMS RIVERS listed in the 1800 CENSUS is William b. 25 Feb 1776; d.7 June 1855. This is the William Rivers married to Betsey Rivers.
However, I DO NOT believe that Dempsey & Michael are sons of William & Betsey RIVERS.
For instances, the biography of Dempsey RIVERS found in "CHATTOOGA: The Story of a County and its People", pages 1120-1123, by Robert S. Baker" states that he was born in DEC 1797. This to my knowledge is the ONLY Known listing of DEMPSEY RIVERS BIRTH. BETSEY RIVERS, William wife was born in 1784 based on census data. I DO NOT Believe she had her 1st child at age 13.
Another reason is that I show that William & Betsey 1st child (John B. RIVERS) was born in 1811 and that they were probably Married around 1809 or 1810.
The DEATH INFO I have for John B. Rivers is:
DEATH: Death (3 June 1859) recorded in Mark Rivers Family Bible. Copies of Bible pages in possession of Charles L. Purvis. 1860 Mortality Schedule, page 7. June 1859. Typhoid Fever. Age 46. Mortality Schedule 1860, Chesterfield County, South Carolina Federal Census by James C. Pigg, self-published 1995.

Charlie
I can be contacted at Gmail.com use CPurvis1 for the address.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions