Search for content in message boards

Placé, Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, France CASS Surname

Placé, Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, France CASS Surname

SharonCrowley (View posts)
Posted: 20 Sep 2009 10:58PM GMT
Classification: Query
Seem to have a mystery here re a William Cass br 1815 and son James Michael Cass br 1838 both br England lived in Buffalo New York. Both were Master Mason, Stonecutters.

from The History of St. Paul’s Church, Buffalo NY 1817 to 1888 by Charles W. Evans.
“The cutting and laying of the stone is in charge of Mr. William S. Cass. Mr. Cass has had great experience
in English Cathedrals and Churches, superintending in 1835 the rehanging of Big Tom, of Lincoln; and he has built Gothic stone Churches at Haynton and at Easton,
in Lincolnshire.” The name CASS is inscribed in the stone spire of the addition. William S. is listed in the Buffalo City Directory from 1865 through 1876. The directory also has a listing for a firm William S. Cass & Co. in 1871 and a
listing for Cass & Sons in 1873. William S. is listed for the last time as Sexton at St. Paul’s Church in 1876.

For some reason when I go looking for their death dates which would be around the late 1870s I cannot find them... Neither one is buried with their wives in Buffalo New York cemetery...

There is a letter written by one of Wm's daughters that says about James Michael Cass... no mention of her fathers death tho

The letter closes, “ poor Jim dying away from all of us but
thank God he did not realize it was death.”

I was on Ancestry and found someone who is doing Wm Cass and has him dying in the following place

Placé, Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, France

Have sent a message to them asking how they knew this

Is there somewhere on line that might list the cemeterys there in Mayenne Pays de la Loire France that would have those buried there named?

This is the 2nd time I have encountered Placé, Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, France in relation to this Cass family.... Why?

Thank you for any help anyone can give me

Sharon swtx

Re: Placé, Mayenne, Pays de la Loire, France CASS Surname

morganhart2010 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Oct 2011 5:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Sharon,
I've just come across this "place" also with a relative who died in 1729 (though she was born in VA). She was a Muse, not a Cass. I thought maybe there may have been a religious reason for traveling there, but can find no sign of a relic or saint or anything in the area. Have not gone past her so also possible there was a relative, but majority of relatives in VA are from England, so not likely.

I suspect it may be a variation of the number of deaths in "Y, Somme Picardie France" - http://boards.ancestry.com/localities.weurope.france.picardi... of which I also had many. Perhaps people were typing in "Place" and instead up came "Placé, Mayenne...." (and if you type "Place, M" in location of death, "Placé, Mayenne..." is the only thing to appear.

Todd
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions