Search for content in message boards

Early Settlers Vermilion County 1830 - 1849

Early Settlers Vermilion County 1830 - 1849

Carolyn Davis (View posts)
Posted: 10 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: DAVIS, SANDERS, CLIFTON, SPROLES, NICCUM, REED, RAMSAY, BROWN
The Davis Family of Benton County, Iowa (1850 - 1880)
Prior to Iowa:

Mary “Polly” Sproles (b. c. 1769) married William Clifton in York Township, Belmont Co., OH
1805. Mary had children from a previous marriage (one perhaps named Andrew
Sproles/Sproul/Spruill). Mary & William Clifton had (at least) the following children in Belmont
County: Levina Jane Clifton, b. 1808; William Clifton, b. 1810 (married Jane BROWN of
Belmont Co., OH.

My Gr-Grandparents:
Levina Jane Clifton married David P. Davis (b. 1800) in York Township, Belmont County, OH
in 1824. They had the following children many of whom were married in Vermilion County, IL:

John Alexander Davis b. 1825 married Stacy A. Sanders
Mary Davis b.c. 1826 James A. Reed
Elizabeth Davis b. 1827 Spencer Brown
Andrew Davis b. 1830 Christina Niccum
Samuel Davis b. 1832 Elizabeth Ann Ritchey
William Davis b. 1834 Mary Niccum
Susan Jane Davis b. 1836 John Ritchie
James C. Davis b. 1839 Lucy Jane Orvis
Rebecca Davis b. 1840 Daniel Hites
Sarah Davis b. 1844 Levi Ramsay
Catherine Davis b. 1845 “ Joseph Hites
Martha Davis b. 1849 “ (died infancy)

This family moved from Belmont County, OH (by 1828 or 1829) and are found in Vermilion
County, IL by 1830. I Believe they may have migrated with the Brown, Reed, and Ramsay
families of Belmont County, OH.

This family seemed to be affiliated with the United Brethren Church (Dunkards).
By 1850 most of the Davis families above were living in Black Hawk or Benton Counties, IA
with the exception of Mary Davis-Reed. Eventually, she and James Reed ended up in Missouri.
By 1870 many of the above had left Benton and Black Hawk Counties -- Some went to
Minnesota others to Kansas, some to Butler County, IA.

Sprouls family

EricSprouls (View posts)
Posted: 23 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 4:10AM GMT
Polly (Mary) Sproles (Sprowls, Sprouls) married (I believe) William Sprowls in PA in abt 1794. They had at least 4 children -- Andrew, James, Mary and Elizabeth. William died in Belmont County (probably) about 1803. All of his children married in Belmont and at least James and Andrew moved to Vermilion Co., IL in late 1827. Andrew md. a Brown also. He moved to Stephenson Co., IL after 1840. James stayed in Vermilion County and is the ancestor of the Sprouls family still living in the county. I have all the details if you wish to know them. Please email me. I would like to know if you have any other information on Mary, such as a clue of her maiden name?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions