Search for content in message boards

Elijah Howell, John Godfrey, John Ford, Charles Duncan & Pains, VA, NC, TN

Elijah Howell, John Godfrey, John Ford, Charles Duncan & Pains, VA, NC, TN

DonGodfrey74 (View posts)
Posted: 5 May 2002 4:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Jun 2002 12:07PM GMT
I'm looking for information on Elijah Howell who was in Burke Co, NC on the tax lists from 1802 to 1806.

In 1802, Elija was in Capt. Benjamin Auston's Company with Fords, Dunkins & Payns.

In 1803 Elijah Howel was Captain, with Duncans, Fords, Payns & John Godfree.

From 1803 to 1806, it was Captain Howel's Company with the same families.

In 1807, it was Capt. John Boyd's Company with Duncans, Godfrey, Paynes and Elijah Howell was not listed.

He may be the Elijah Howell who married Nancy Ford in 1791 in Buckingham Co, VA.

Elijah Howell, John Godfrey, John Ford, Charles Duncan and the Pain/Paynes appear to have came from Buckingham Co, VA to Burke Co, NC at about the same time, just before and just after 1800.

Elijah Howell of Burke Co, NC may be the same one who married Judy Maxey in 1813 in Knox Co, TN.

Judy Maxey was the daughter of Sampson & Elizabeth Godfrey Maxey. She was born in Buckingham Co, VA and moved to Knox Co, TN with her mother after her father died in 1810 in VA.

Elijah Howell was paid by the Knox Co, TN court in 1819/1820 to take care of an aged Mary Godfrey, who may be the grandmother of Judy Maxey Howell and the mother of Elizabeth Godfrey Maxey and John Godfrey of Burke Co, NC.

Elijah Howell was born about 1763, Elizabeth Godfrey Maxey was born about 1768 and John Godfrey was born about 1770, maybe all in Buckingham Co, VA.

Elijah Howell died in Feb 1850 in Knox Co, TN

I would appreciate any help with any of these families.

Thanks, Don Godfrey

Re: Elijah Howell, John Godfrey, John Ford, Charles Duncan & Pains, VA, NC, TN

DarleneHuey50 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2002 7:05PM GMT
Edited: 9 Jan 2004 6:56PM GMT
Don,
Plese email me. I have been tracking Elijah Howel/Howell as well. I found a court record in Knox Co. that ties the Knox Co Elijah Howel to the NC Elijah Howel. There are some names on the file that I don't recognize. Do you know if Elijah had any children with his first wife. I am a desendant of Duke Howel of Knox Co. He and Elijah are sharing the payment of the property tax on a farm about 1820. Duke would have been born about 1791 or 92. I feel very strongly that Elijah is his father. Did you know that Elijah also had property in McMinn Co., TN. I think Elijah, may have moved there later in his life. Do you know where he is burried. Duke Howel was married first to Elizabeth DeArmond and then to Mary Martha Lonas. I have several tid bits of information I am trying to piece together. Would love to compare information.

GodfreyDonald (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2002 3:29PM GMT
Darlene,
Elisha Howell was in the 1800 Burke Co, NC census, Elisha, age 26 to 45, one son, age under 10 and no females.
http://www.rootsweb.com/~cenfiles/nc/burke/1800/pg00720.txt
Don

Dianne Ferrell Neal (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2003 8:38PM GMT
I have an ancestor, TEMPERANCE HOWELL, b. abt. 1794, place may be NC or SC or TN. She wed MILTON GAMBLE in Williamson Co, TN on June 13, 1810. She named her only-known son, ELISHA HOWELL GAMBLE, b June 10, 1818 Williamson Co, TN
Does the Elisha Howell in Buncombe Co, NC census tie in to my TEMPERANCE HOWELL in any of your research?

amylou122 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Apr 2007 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: Howell, McNair, Vann
Don, Darlene & others,
Your information has helped piece some things together. Thank you. I'm particularly interested in Elijah Howell's McMinn Co. TN connection. William S. Howell lived practically next door to Duke Howell in the 1830 Knox Co. TN census. William S. was married to Myra McNair, from Polk Co. TN., sister to David McNair, defacto chief of the Cherokees (due to his marriage to Delilah Vann) Robert Henry Howell built David McNair's house in Polk Co. and Chief Vann's house in GA. Does anyone know the connection between Elijah, William S., Duke, and Robert Henry Howell?
Amy

aliciahearvey1 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2011 4:18AM GMT
Elijah Howell had one son with Nancy Ford that I know of, Rev. Tillman Howell. Rev. Tillman Howell married Martha Sudith and had a son in Itawamba, Mississippi in 1854. I am a descendant of Elijah Howell, I am trying to do some research, any additional information would be great!

Alicia Howell
Dallas, TX

theoyoast (View posts)
Posted: 2 Jul 2011 9:09PM GMT
Darlene - my husband is also descended from Duke Howell, thru his dau Harriet who m James Baustic Maloch, and their dau Margaret Jane, who m Frances 'Frank' Yoast. WOuld you be willing to exchange info? I've just been researching Duke,
believing he may be a full-blood Cherokee. Do you have any
ideas on his ancestry? Exciting to at least find a possible tie to Elijah.
theo

Thendersparkster (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2012 3:30AM GMT
I am also a descendant of Margaret Jane and Francis Yoast and have heard the stories about "Maggie's" sister alice being full blooded cherokee but no one wanted to say what Maggie was. Just made the Duke connection to maggie from a different site tonight. Would love to know what info has been found out about Duke! Please let me know.

Thank you.

theoyoast (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2012 7:11PM GMT
That is interesting news about Maggie's sister - I know nothing about her, except her b & d dates. evidently she never married.
Duke is rather elusive - he was m 1) to Elizabeth Dearmond (sometimes DeArmond), and she evidently d in childbirth 3/14/1827- the daughter Elizabeth was b 1827 (also 3/14?). I find no further record of her, altho granted not searched much. evidently taken by the Dearmonds to raise.
Duke m 10/16/1828 Mary Martha 'Polly' Lonas Yoast (2nd m for her also, first husband Peter Yoast d 1925 in horse accident leaving 2 ch.) Mary Lonas Yoast's parents were Henry & Sybilla Lonas.
I have Duke b c1799 in NC (might have been Eastern TN),
d 7/15/1844 Knox Co TN bur Kirby-Keyhill Cemetery, Knoxville. Peter & Mary are b in Lonas Cemetery, Knoxville.
I have ch Henry, Nancy (m Carnes, put stone up for Mother),
Sarah, Harriet Elizabeth (our forbear), Samuel & Mary. Samuel Thomas also went to Hickory Co MO - maybe with Harriet & husband James B. Maloch (there's an interesting story also.) I have been told (no proof) that Duke had a
tailor shop in Knoxville, was considered quite respectable & well to do. IF I were ever to get to Knoxville again, the Co records would be interesting to pursue. When I was
there in 1982 I was doing Yoast genealogy rather single minded. my email is tmyoast@yahoo.com if you want to share
further. how are you connected to the Yoasts. theo

Thendersparkster (View posts)
Posted: 28 Feb 2012 8:26PM GMT
Surnames: Yoast, Maloch, Howell, Henderson, Nicholas, Price
Very interesting information!!!

I am related by Margaret (Maggie) Maloch m. Francis Franklin Yost had Daughter Mary Alice Mollie Yoast m. Henry Allen Price had Daughter Golden Fern Price m. Otterbein David Hopping had Daughter Fern Marie Alice Hopping m. Malford Martin Nicholas had Daughter Gloria Marie Nicholas m. Thomas Albertus Hedserson had son Thomas Andrew Henderson. Andrew is me...

For years Hugh Yoast and Maggie Maloch were my moms roadblocks in her research of 40+ years... I just broke the Hugh barrier a couple of weeks ago with John and Francis Yoast.

But my greast grandmother Golden Fern "Granny" would not talk about where Maggie came from. Just that lil' tidbit about Alice and that Maggie also had a brother named "Lonetree"...

I have born - married - death dates on Francis and Hugh yoasts children if you would like them. Any more info you can supply me with these lines would be great!!! email me @ Thendersparkster@yahoo.com

Again thank you!!! This is getting me a lil' further back!!!

Andy.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions