Search for content in message boards

Magdy (Magdij) Family Search

Magdy (Magdij) Family Search

Terry Magdy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Magdy, Magdij
Searching for any occurance of Magdy or possibly Magdij surname. Polish origins, possibly Galicia region.

Re: Magdy (Magdij) Family Search

MarcinSwitalski (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2001 1:40PM GMT
Edited: 26 Oct 2001 1:45PM GMT
My name is Marcin Świtalski. My mother is Magdij. My grandpa is from Galicja.

angryanddangerous (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2004 10:52AM GMT
Hi, my name is Emily Magdij.
I don't think I've got any connections to Poland though - I'm Ukranian.

Terry Magdy (View posts)
Posted: 24 Dec 2004 12:39PM GMT
Surnames: Magdy, Magdij, Wolkowski
Hi Emily,
Good to hear from you. This was an old message, since then I have come to learn that the area where my family is from is near the Ukrainian (Southeast) side of Poland. It was known as Galicia at the time during the Austro-Hungarian Empire (late 1800s). The town's name is Kowalowka. What part of the Ukraine are you from ?

I have made one contact with a relative of a Magdij in Poland and another as far away as Argentina. It is funny, the lady I met from Argentina contacted me around Christmas 2 years ago! I live in Nova Scotia, Canada. My Grandfather came over in 1903 through Hamburg.

I would be interested if you know of the origins of the name Magdij as many of us researching believe it was of Hungarian origin. Love to hear from you and would like to know more about your family origins, you never know we may make a connection somewhere. I will also introduce you to my other contacts.

Robert Jerin (View posts)
Posted: 26 Dec 2004 3:34AM GMT
MAGDIJ is of Ruthenian (aka Rusyn, Carpatho-Rusyn, Lemko) origin.

http://www.lemko.org/index.html

http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/whoarerusyns.htm

There are 2 entries found in Ellis Is records for MAGDIJ (one mis-transcribed as MAGDEJ) both declaring race as Ruthenian. They are both listing their place of origin as Korostowice, Austria

Robert

Emily Magdij (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2005 4:25PM GMT
Hey again.

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner, only I don't check my emails too often. I get lots of spam.

I have no idea about the origins of my family other than the fact they come from the Ukraine. My father mentioned something about my grandfather/great-grandfather having to go fight for the Nazis in WW2 and being dragged away from his own family to do so. hen he didn't go back because h had married and feared that if he was extradited (or however you spell it) he would be gassed on return.

However, my dad was drunk at the time so I'm not sure of the reliability of this.

Also, you said many of you. I thought that I was one of the only ones because of the websites I pulled up when I searched, most of which were in Ukraine. So its comforting to know I'm not the only one.

Emily.

Posted: 7 Jan 2005 4:28PM GMT
Thats interesting!

I don't recognise any of those names for the race. But then again I am only thirteen and I can't be expected to know everything!

Emily

Robert Jerin (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jan 2005 11:13PM GMT
Emily,

That is great that you are interested in your family history. And frankly most people wouldn't recognize those races or as we would say today... ethnic groups.

That group is usually of Byzantine Catholic faith. Here is a link to a web page that gives some information on that group:

http://www.carpathorusynsociety.org/whoarerusyns.htm

By the way most adults in the US have probably not heard of them! So you will have something on most people... when you read about this group!

Robert

Terry Magdy (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2005 4:00AM GMT
Surnames: Magdy, Magdij
Emily,
There quite a number of Magdy's living in Canada. I am in Nova Scotia, many of my relatives are in Toronto and some more distant cousins are out west in Saskatchewan

My great-grandparents came from Kowalowka, Poland in what was then Galicia, an area which is now occupied by Poland and the Ukraine. The "y" in Magdy is an english translation of the "ij" in Magdij.

I got this info from the Hamburg Emmigration websit, the port from which the emmigrated from, this is a good spot to look.

Pass # Surname First Name State of Origin Birth Date Destination Attendant
799977 Magdy Anna Österreich 1897/1898 Halifax, Kanada
799971 Magdy Antoni Österreich 1858/1859 Halifax, Kanada

I did not find any magdij on this site but did find a few on the Ellis Island Site http://www.ellisislandrecords.org/default.asp

Have a look around and good luck in your search.

Posted: 9 Jan 2005 8:28PM GMT
Lol, thanks!

Emily
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions