Search for content in message boards

Trail of Tears

Trail of Tears

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2011 11:47AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harris, Featherbed, Ward
My grandmother, Emma Featherbed's family came from Muncie Indiana ( Pottawatomie tribe) and she married Jeremiah Harris. Her last name somehow became Ward before she married Jeremiah. If anyone heard of the name Featherbed, I would really like that information.

Re: Trail of Tears

grt2motoh2 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2011 2:29PM GMT
Surnames: Harris,Parker, Grayer
Emma Leone Parker Ward,

Check out this line of information I have been working on. I have found info that Emma's mother was Lillie Smith (Ontario Census). She married a Nathan Ward, Oct 1881 in St. Joseph, Indiana. This was her first husband. She then married William Parker in 1889, in St. Joseph, Indiana.
I am very interested in the Featherbed line also. How was Emma's name Featherbed? Am I off track?
Check out the Harris family tree (Amherstburg, On., Canada).

Edward Johnson (Grayer)

Re: Trail of Tears

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2011 3:09PM GMT
Surnames: Trail of Tears - Featherbed
Wow!!! Thank you so much. You are not off-track, She used Ward, and Parker as her last name. We are not sure how her name was Featherbed, we just remember our father telling us when we were young that her Indian surname was Featherbed and my father passed away in 1959. Also some of our cousins confirmed the same, so I was trying to investigate. I am so grateful for the information that you relayed to me, because we had reached a blockade. If I hear or find out any more information, I will forward it to you.

Re: Trail of Tears Featherbed

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2011 7:54PM GMT
Surnames: ward, parker, harris
As much as I wanted to think you were right-on, it appears my grandmother, Emma Ward, was born in 1865 which would have been 16 years before Emma and Nathan were married, which would mean her mother would have had to have been born around or before 1850. Now I dont know if it would have been possible for Emma's parents to have lived together for 15 years before they were actually married by a priest, but it does raise the question.

grt2motoh2 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2011 12:24AM GMT
This is getting very interesting. Lilly Smith, Emma's mother, married Nathan Ward. Emma Parker Ward was born Jan 8 1881. The 1865 birth date was a transcription error from the 1911 Ontario Census.
This was pointed out by another researcher of the Harris family (Anthony Rachal - AJRII89). On the 1911 Ontario Census page, when you magnify the original image, not the transcript, it lists: Harris, Jerry born July 1867, his wife, Emma, born January 1881 and their children, Charles, David, Ernest, Chester, and Sylvere. They are listed living in the household of Mary Taylor. This is Jeremiah's or Jerry's mother, Mary Pearl, (She married a second husband, Otto Taylor).
Whoever transcribed the data from the original listed Emma as born in 1865.
The 1881 birth date is further supported by info from the 1901 Ontario Census. It has spelling errors and lists Jarry Harris born 1866, age 34 living with his wife Amy Harris born Jan. 8,1880 (actually 1881) age 21 and their children Frank and David. When you scroll down to the next household it lists William Parker living with his wife Lilly Parker(born May 1, 1861). This is Lilly Smith who married Nathan Ward (her first husband) and later married William Parker.
I know this is a bit confusing but check it out. Search Jeremiah Harris born July 1866, Colchester South, Essex, Ontario, Canada and you should come up with the 1911 Ontario Census.
My connection to the Harris family is through Caroline Melinda Harris. She married my Great Grandfather, John Franklin Chavis.

Thank you for assisting.

EMJ

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2011 2:01AM GMT
Surnames: Trail of Tears Featherbed
The only thing about her birthday is I know that my grandmother Emma, died around 1966 and she was over 100 years old when she passed. We were very close to her. And yes I agree, it is getting very interesting.

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2011 2:39AM GMT
Surnames: harris, ward, parker
It looks like you are right. I thought for sure she was over 100. I am checking with someone else who lived with her and will get back to you.

grt2motoh2 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Aug 2011 3:19PM GMT
More confirmation of birth year of Emma. On the site "Family Search.org" there is a marriage certificate for Jeremiah Harris. It states "Jerimiah" sp. error....married Emma Ward in Ypsilanti Mich., Aug 20, 1898. The brides age is listed as 17 years old. All of the other data matches Jeremiah's parents if you go to the original document "Michigan Marriages-1868 to 1925". In a few cases they spell Harris as Harice on this site. The James Harris family lived in Washtenaw, Michigan probably because Mary Ann Pearl's family had moved there in the early to mid 1800s. James Harris actually died in Ypsilanti,Washtenaw, Mich July 2, 1884. You can find his death certificate on "Family Search"....they misspelled his last name as Harriss.

Hope this info helps.

EMJ

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Aug 2011 2:32PM GMT
I just want to once again thank you for your help. My niece confirmed Emma's birthdate. She also was elated to find out Emma's mother's name. Be blessed!

Re: Featherbed

ejamison59 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Sep 2011 1:55PM GMT
Surnames: Featherbed, Harris, Ward, Parker
Hello! I am yet trying to research my Grandmother's (Emma, Ward, Parker, Harris) family. That information you gave me was valuable. It looks like she could have been raised by Lillie Smith because on her marriage license, Emma indicated that her parents' names were unknown. I wanted to know what interest did you have in researching Featherbed. Maybe there is some connection here.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions