Search for content in message boards

Robert/Michael & Benjamin Campbell

Robert/Michael & Benjamin Campbell

elizabethwhite80 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2004 10:50PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 22 Sep 2006 7:45PM GMT
Surnames: CAMPBELL/CHURCHILL,ESTEY
Need clarification on Michael Campbell's parents. I have Michaels birthdate as Aug 28, 1808 in Queensbury Parish, York Co., N.B. I understand that Carleton is now the area where they lived. Michael married Mary Ann Churchill on Oct 24, 1833 in Wakefield Twp, Carleton Co., N.B. Mary Ann Churchill's parents are Benjamin Churchill and Elizabeth Everett. I do not have Elizabeth Everetts parents. Their first child is Benjamin Campbell born Dec 15, 1834 and married Frances Jane Estey on Feb 7, 1857. Benjamin & Frances Jane moved to Washburn Twp, Aroostook Co., Maine and I have them in the 1900 Census. Benjamin was 65 yrs old, Frances Jane was 66 years, Anne M (dau) was 40 yrs and single and Michael (father) was 92 years old and widowed. It listed 1896 as his year of immigration and Benjamin immigrated in 1882. I would like to have proof that Michael's birth. I list Nov 15, 1901 as Michael Campbells' death in Washburn, Aroostook Co., Maine and Mary Ann (Churchill) Campbell's death as Sep 3, 1895 in Washburn, Aroostook Co., Maine. Would appreciate proof that Robert Campbell was Michael's father and where did Robert come from? Do you have a list of Robert's family?
Anxious to hear from you.
Elizabeth White

Re: Robert/Michael & Benjamin Campbell

Susan Wyllie (View posts)
Posted: 15 Apr 2004 1:29PM GMT
Surnames: Campbell, Churchill
1851 census - Wakefield, Carleton Co., NB

Michael Campbell, 41, b. NB, Farmer, proprietor
Mary Ann, wife, 36, b. NB
Benjamin, 17, b. NB
George, 14, b. NB
Thomas, 11, b. NB
Elizabeth, 12, b. NB
William, 7, b. NB
Jane, 3, b. NB
Hannah Anne, 1, b. NB
Robert Campbell, 65, b. NB, Father
Rebecca Brannan, 20, b. NB, Hireling
Mary Jane Clarke, 44, b. NB, Widow
Charles Clarke, 5, b. NB, son

Benjamin Churchill, 61, b. NB, Farmer, proprietor
Elizabeth, wife, 57, b. NB
William, 21, b. NB
Jarvis, 19, b. NB
Sarah Esther, 16, b. NB
W. D. Coleman, 35, b. NB, boarder, baptist minister
Phebe Milberry, 21, b. NB, Servant

1871 census - Wakefield, Carleton Co., NB

Michael Campbell, 62, b. NB, baptist, Scottish, Farmer
Mary A., wife, 54, b. NB, baptist
Sarah Jane, 21, b. NB, baptist
James Todd, 19, b. NB, baptist
John C., 15, b. NB, baptist
Robert Campbell, 83, b. NB, baptist

Benjamin Campbell, 39, b. NB, baptist, Scottish, Farmer
Frances J., wife, 38, b. NB, baptist, English
Anne M., 13, b. NB, baptist
Jarvis B., 11, b. NB, baptist
Loretta J., 9, b. NB, baptist
Frances A., 5, b. NB, baptist

LDS International Genealogical Index says Michael's parents are Robert Campbell and Mary or Polly McNally.

Posted: 16 Apr 2004 12:23AM GMT
Hi Susan: You are prompt in answering and I very much appreciate it. From your reply to Marlene Lawrence dated Aus 16, 2003 listing the will of Tamberlin Campbell, I take it that Tamberlin is the father of Robert, and Robert is the father of Michael.....Right? Also, I came across a Tamerlane Campbell born Aug 10, 1782 in N.B. He married Elizabeth (Eliza) Shea on Nov 30, 1804 in Woodstock, N.B. Elizabeth Shea was born abt 1784 in Fredrickton, N.B.. Tamerlane's father was Tamerlane Campbell, born abt 1740 in Scotland and married Hester Cunnabell born abt 1750 in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Tamerlane & Elizabeth's daus Annie b Oct 14, 1810, md Sep17, 1827 John Shaw, born 1803 in Wakefield, NB.. Another dau, Lydia b 1808 or 1809 in Wakefield, Carleton md James B. Shaw (brother of John Shaw) Sep 17, 1827 in Wakefield. James was born abt 1803 in Wakefield.

chesterarthur34 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2005 2:03PM GMT
Edited: 15 Feb 2006 2:36PM GMT
In my family tree from Canada, consisiting mostly of Sharps, there is a Tamerlane Campbell. Let's see--Alexander Sharp married Hester, the eldest child and daughter of Captain Tamerlane Campbell, in 1785 in or near the City of St. John. She was sixteen. Tamerlane served in the French and Indian and Revolutionary wars, probably of the 40th or 42nd regiment of black watch. The "cunnabell Geneaology" says that Tamerlane had married a Miss Cunnabell. Tamerlane and Hester had seven children----Hetser, sarah, Elizabeth, John, Tamerlane, Alexander, and Robert or Edward. There's a whole lot more. Could I sned you a copy of my records?

Posted: 15 May 2005 2:10PM GMT
Surnames: campbell
I am not sure if I am doing this right, so I will write this again. We have an ancestor Alexander Sharp who married in 1785 Hester, the oldest child of Captain Tamerlane Campbell. She was 16. Tamerlane served in the French and Indian War and the Revolutionary War Aparently he helped defend Quebec as a loyalist. Their children were Hester, Sarah, Elizabeth, John, Tamerlane, Alexander, and Robert or Edward. There is a whole lot more I could send by snail-mail if you like.

Posted: 16 May 2005 11:47PM GMT
Surnames: CAMPBELL, CUNNABELL, McNALLY, CHURCHILL, ESTEY
Hi John: Thank you for responding to my Query. Yes, I have Capt. Tamerlane (I have Tamberlane), born abt 1740 in Scotland and md. Hester Cunnabell (no date). Hester was the dau of Preserved Cunnable & Hester Wisdom. Tamerlane Campbell died before Feb 1821 in Northampton,
York Co., New Brunswick. He lived in Falmouth, Nova Scotia and later in York Co., N.B. His will was proved Feb 8, 1821.
You list 7 children. I have listed 9 but not positive about all 9.
They are: 1) Hester b. 1768/69 md 1785 Alexander Sharp
who died 1795 and she md 2) Anthony Baker II. 2) Elizabeth
b. abt 1770 md abt 1790 John Brown; 3) Sarah b abt 1776
probably in Falmouth, Hants Co., N.S., md Arden Dickinson and d. Feb 3, 1867 (91 yrs) in Lower Brighton, Carleton Co., N.B.; 4) John b Feb 7, 1780 (no other info); 5) Tamerlane II
b. Aug 10, 1782, md 1) Nov 30, 1804 Elizabeth Shea (had 2
daus Lydia b 1809 & Elizabeth b 1810), md 2) Jan 1816 Elizabeth Snow.; 6) Robert b Aug 11, 1786m md Mary Esther
McNally dau of Michael McNally (Robert is my line); 7)Benjamin b 1790 md Elizabeth (not sure of this); 8) Edward (I'm not sure whether Edward is a son or Robert's name was Edward Robert or vice versa but all I found was Robert's name); 9) Alexander - no other info on him. Yes, I would be happy to receive any of your records and I would be happy to send any I have that you don't. Looking forward to hearing from you. Do you live in Canada?

Elizabeth

Posted: 17 May 2005 1:30AM GMT
Surnames: CUNNABELL, WISDOM, McNALLY, CHURCHILL, EVERETT, ESTEY, RING, KITCHEN
Hi John: In reply to your second message, Yes, I would be very pleased to receive, snail-mail, the info you have on the Campbells. I think the other two sons I list for Tamerline & Hester are Benjamin and Edward.

The Cunnable Line

Besides the Cunnable's it is now listed as Connable. I have I. John Cunnable who came to Boston in 1673 from London, England.; II. Samuel Cunnable b. in Boston, MA.: III.
Preserved Cunnable who md Hester Wisdom; IV. Hester Cunnabell md Tamerlane Campbell.

The Campbell Line:

I. Tamerlane Campbell md Hester Cunnabell
dau of Preserved Cunnabell & Hester Wisdom
II. Robert Campbell md Mary Esther McNally
dau of Michael McNally
III. Michael Campbell md Mary Ann Churchill
dau of Benjamin Churchill & Elizabeth Everett
IV. Benjamin Campbell md Frances Jane Estey
dau of Nemiah Estey & Mary J. Ring
V. Ada Frances or
Frances Ada Campbell md 1) Beverly Crouse
son of Jeremiah Crouse & Esther Christie
md 2) John Randolph Kitchen
son of Samuel Smith Kitchen & Frances Jane
Churchill
Both lines are in Nova Scotia & New Brunswick. Many lines
originated in New England.

Do you have Tamberline Campbell's Will? This can be found in "Early N..B. Probate Records - 1785-1818" Pg 67, by
R. Wallace Hale

The Will of Tamberlin Campbell Parish of Northampton, York Co., N.B. He was a Joiner (occupation) Will dated Dec 22, 1818; proved Feb 8, 1821.
Wife Hester, one cow. Three sons: John, Tamberline Jr. & Alexander.. Lots 77 & 78 east of Phillips Creek in Northampton, with a reserve of 10 pounds to be paid to my daughter Sarah Dickinson. Son Robert Campbell, my joiner tools & 4 notes of hand signed by him May 10, 1814. Son Edward Campbell, Lot 77 west of Phillips Creek with a reserve note of 10 pounds each to my daughters Hester Baker & Elizabeth Brown. Grandson Tamberlane Campbell, a minor, son to Edward Campbell Lot 78 west of Phillips Creek. Anthony Baker sole executor. Witnesses: Samuel Cook, James Sharp & Adam Boyle Sharp. Codicil: dated Jan 14, 1819 gives livestock to grandson Tamberlin Campbell, minor. Witnesses: James Sharp, Adam B. Sharp & Harriot Baker.
Note: While the name appears variously as Tamberlane, Tamberlain, etc, it is invariably signed Tamberlin" on documents.

The above is my mother-in-laws line.

Hope this will help.

Gratefully, Elizabeth

The Campbell Line is as follows:

Posted: 17 May 2005 12:49PM GMT
Just got your message, though I am still new to this. I hope this reply gets through. We have a lot of Sharp ancestors, as well as Tamerlane Campbell. I can mail you several pages on this, though it would have to be your snail-mail address. I am still looking also for contemporary Sharps. Mum and a cousin or two still are in Massachusetts and Vermont. We hope to visit Woodtsock NB this summer and visit an old(possible abandoned) Sharp farm and the the Sunder house. John Lockwood chesterarthur34@hotmail.com Did you know of Pvt. Alison Sharp, killed at Passchendaele? Mum wrote an article on him. Several Sharps, including Grandma Sally Sharpe and great-uncle Redvers Shapr moved to Massachusetts in the 1920s. Apt. 119 3040 Idaho Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20016

Posted: 17 May 2005 1:13PM GMT
An earlier message of mine seems to have vanished into the electronic ether, so I will repeat here that although I live in Washington, D.C. I do have a few relatives, such as Mum, in Massachusetts. We hope to visit Woodstock NB this summer and look up an old family house or two. I also have data on the Sharps too, as well as Tamerlane Campbell.---Mum even wrote an article on pvt. Alison Sharpe, after whom she is named, who died at Passchendaele October 26, 1917--the very day that Field Marshall Haig sent in the Canadian army in another of his useless offensives. John Lockwood chesterarthur34@hotmail.com Apt. 119 3040 Idaho Avenue, N.W. Washington, D.C. 20016 I work as a Ranger in the National Park Service--in fact, I am to give a lecture on the Washington Monument at the Interior Builidng this afternoon. I also do a bit of free-lance writing on the side---I guess it runs in the family----usually on the Civil War and local D.C. history.

Posted: 24 May 2005 1:54AM GMT
Surnames: CAMPBELL, CUNNABELL, McNALLY, CHURCHILL, ESTEY
Hi John: Tamerlane & Hester (Cunnabell) Campbell's dau Hester md 1) 1785 Alexander Sharp (died 1795); md 2) Anthony Baker II. My line is from Robert who md Mary Esther McNally. ( I have recently acquired info on the McNally line). Michael b Aug 28, 1808, md 1833 Mary Ann C
hurchill and Benjamin b 1834 md 1857 Frances Jane Estey.
If you take pictures, especially of Tamerlane & Hester's home, or Robert & Mary Esther's home would love to see them. I'm not sure why, but in the 1851 Census of Wakefield, Carleton Co., Robert (father) is living with son, Michael & Mary Ann Churchill and, Mary Esther (mother) is living next door to Michael with son Whitfield or Frederic Whitfield Campbell. Elizabeth Too much togetherness???
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions