Search for content in message boards

Peskett/Zavitz

Peskett/Zavitz

Gerald Peskett (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2009 9:39PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Peskett Zavitz

I am researching all Peskett families, and have repeatedly come to a brick wall when it comes to Ellen Kate Peskett wife of Mathias Benjamin Zavitz. I was wonder if anyone can find anything on her? I have found a couple of family trees online that list her as Ellen Kate Green, who was married to a William Peskett (can't find a marriage certifcate). Anything that might confirm or deny that she was previously married would be great. Perhaps a marriage certificate to Mathias. The only reference to an Ellen Kate Peskett I can find is a birth listing in 1873 and a census record of her in 1881, but staying with an uncle, nothing after that.

In 1907 an Ellen Kate Peskett came with daughter Stella aboard the ship Dominion from England to Canada. Also aboard that ship were three Peskett boys Edward Stanley, William John and Charles Robert all listed with the Barnardoes group (home children). These children are also listed with the Zavitz family in 1911 which would indicate that they are hers although she is listed as Nellie. Her age on the ship's record could be 33 or 38 so it is possible she is the Ellen Kate born in 1873, although 1911 census records list her as being born in 1854

If you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Re: Peskett/Zavitz

satch42179 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2009 5:43AM GMT
Marriages: Ancestry.ca

Ellen Peskett, 22, widow, d/o Kelmet Peskett & Nancy Wingham, married Mathias B Zavitz, cannot read age, s/o George Zavitz & Elina/Eliza J, cannot read last name,witn; Mrs J H McBain & Mrs Edna Wade both of Welland, Welland, #021642. 18 Feb 1909.

I think the entry of her parent's names must be wrong. Maybe it is her late husband's parents that was given.

Charles Robert Peskett, 23, painter,b London England, s/o Wm John PESKETT & Ellen Kate Grant, married Lillian Hoggar, 21, domestic, b Fulham England, d/oBenjamin Hoggar & Carolina Ellen Blake, witn: Levi Barwel & Stella Julia Peskett both of Welland, 7 June 1924, Niagara Falls,Welland County, Registration # 021232.

There's another name to add to your collection for Ellen Kate.

Estella Julia Peskett, 19, b London England, s/o William Peskett & Ellen Kate Grant, married Adrian Mitchener, chauffeur, 23, b Buffalo NY, witn: Chas Robt & Lillian Peskett of Welland, 23 aug 1924. #021123,Welland.

Birth from FreeBMD
Stella Julia I E Peskett, registered birth Mar quarter 1905, West Ham .

An Edward Stanley Peskett, registered birth Dec quarter 1898, Pancras.

A Wililam John Peskett, registered birth Dec uarter 1896, Pancras.

Charles Robert Peskett, registered birth Mar quarter 1901,Pancras.

Death::

Ellen Kate Zavitz, 53, b 6 Apr 1874 England, d/o ....Grant,no mother given, both b England, Informant: C Peskett, son, of Welland, burial: Woodlawn, 2 Feb 1928 of
peritonitis from a perforated ulcer.

So it would seem that her maiden name was Grant.

An Ellen Kate Grant got married June quarter 1896, St Saviour.

On looking at 1911 census Ellen/Nellie has had 2 children and that wouldn't have happened if she was born in 1854. I think she was b 1874 and is 37 now. On her marriage it gives her age as clearly 22. That was obviously a mistake.

I am sending this now before I lose it. I will look on the England 1901 census and see what I can find later on.

Gerald Peskett (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2009 4:52PM GMT
Thank you so much for the information it's just what I was hoping for.

As for the parents of Ellen might in be Kennett(h) instead as I have no one by the name of Kelmet? Is it possible to forward the marriage records to me?

I checked the marriage listings and there is no Peskett married in same location and quarter as a Ellen Kate Grant. Or any Grant. Hmmmm

As for the 1901 census I've only found one William Peskett with wife Ellen in Climping, Sussex and I don't believe they are the right couple.

I have also seen a Hector Cecil Peskett b. 1902 attached to Ellen Kate. Might you be able to find anything on him? All I've found is in the SSI and death indexes in California in 1995.

Many thanks for your time.

Gerald Peskett

satch42179 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2009 11:18PM GMT
On FreeBMD http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
there is a Hector Cecil Peskett, registered March quarter 1902 at Edmonton.
I don't know if this is in the same area as Pancras & West Ham where the other children are registered.
I can't find anything else on him but I don't have access to US records.

The FreeBMD is only an index but gives the parish, page of entry, etc if you want to order the registration to find out parents for sure.

Here is Ellen on 1901 census St Peters, St Pancras, London
69 Harrison Street.
PESKETT
Ellen, boarder,married, 26, b Chatham, Kent
William J, boarder, 4, b St Pancras, London
Edward S, boarder, 3, St Pancras, London
Charles R, boarder, 3 mos, St Pancras, London

They are living with a Julia Sanson, 46, widow, b Scotland.
Interestingly enough, in the column for deaf & dumb, blind, lunatic or feeble minded, there is a tick beside Ellen's name. This puts her birth at about 1875 which is more consistent with some of the other information re her age.

Do you agree that her maiden name was Grant?

On 1881 census www.familysearch.org there are two Ellen/Nellie Grants b 1874 in Kent that may be your Ellen.

1891 census St Paul Depford, London Ancestry.ca

Ellen Grant, 18, machinist, b Depford Kent
Charlotte Grant, 50, machnist, b as above
living with a George Swindell.
That is the only Ellen Grant b Kent on 1891 census. She is on 1881 census with a Charlotte Grant and some siblings.

Cannot look up much about William John Peskett as there is not time frame for him. Do not see any deaths for him on FreeBMD but it is a volunteer sight so keep checking back. There are no deaths on FreeBMD from 1900-1906 yet. He would have died around 1905 [Stella's birth year] unless he isn't her father.

Re - no Peskitt being married the same time as Ellen Kate Grant could be because it hasn't been transcribed as yet. The indexes are in alphabetical order. I used to transcribe for FreeBMD and am trying to remember how to get to the original records. If I figure it out I will look up and see if William Peskitt is on the same page as Ellen Kate Grant. Can't promise anything!

satch42179 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Feb 2009 11:21PM GMT
Send me your email address to
satch42@bigpond.net.au

I will send you a copy of marriage registrations off Ancestry.ca

dorrob381 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jan 2010 8:38PM GMT
Surnames: peskett