Search for content in message boards

Sir Francis, Edward, and William Swann

Sir Francis, Edward, and William Swann

gloryb8 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jan 2004 12:03PM GMT
Hi,

I am totally confused. I believe I'm in the Edward Swann/Susanna Heath line. I see that records show Edward is the son of William Swann. William was born in the 1580's. Francis Swann and Dorothy Boys are listed as his parents but it's not possible. They were children when William was born if the dates are right. They can't be Edward's parents as they were dead before he was born.

Some lineages show William as the son of Samuel who was the son of a Sir Francis. Interestingly the William in each case is listed as being married to different women (Edward's parents specifically). The first says Judith Austin and the second says Judith Greene (same woman?).

And here's the best part---William could not have been the son of Dorothy Boys (not only because she was a child when he was born) but because he later married her.

Are William and Francis brothers? Who is Samuel? I also find a Henry as the father of Francis. Two Sir Francis Swanns?

This has me stuck. Any help would be immensely appreciated!

Gloria

Re: Sir Francis, Edward, and William Swann

Larry Swann (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2004 3:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Hi Gloria,
I read your posting and it appears we're related. Edward Swann(SR) and Susanna Heath were my 6th Great Grandparents Edward Swann's parents were Sir Wm Swann JR adn Judith Greene. I have been having problems documenting Sir Wm's parentage. Judith Green's parents were Richard Greene, b 1560 and Margery Showell, b 1560 and married 1586. I found a site that shows Wm Swann SR, b 1550 and Ann Deering as the possible parents of Sir Wm JR. But there is no proof to date as far as I know.

Samuel Swann JR , b 1720 was the son if Samuel Sr, b 1676. Samuel Sr was the son of Edwards Swann Sr, b 1630 and Susanna Heath, b 1632. Samuel Swann Sr's wife was Ann Burch, b 1695 in Charles Co, Md.

William Swann JR had 6 children( Edward, Thomas, Mathew, Samuel, James and John) His second son, Thomas (married Mary Mansfield) and had 4 children (Mary, Twins Francis and Thomas and finally Sarah). This information was pulled from Roots Web if this is any help to you. The wife and I are still searching to find out who Sir Wm Swann JR's father is. If you would like to exchange information I would be happy to cooperate and send you what I have. Good luck

Larry Swann
lswann4587@aol.com

Gloria (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2004 6:45PM GMT
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. In fact, the more work I do on this the more confused I get. I've tracked my Swan(n)s back to the early 1800's and it seems this is a blue collar branch entirely. My Swan(n)s were brick masons in Baltimore. The family was supposed to be related to Gov Thomas Swann, and that's possible, as the family goes back to VA at the time of the governor's birth. My guess is very distant cousins!

I have a lot of Swan(n)--mostly Swan--names in Baltimore and I'd be glad to share the info I have. What I'm trying to find out is about the parentage of my great-great-grandfather. My great-grandmother was Catherine(Katherine) Swan(n) who married Edward T Randall in the late 1800's. Her parents were John Swan(n) and Mary Eberhart. John is probably the grandson of Ann Swan of VA. One census has him listed as having a mother from England. He and his brother Richard were brick masons.

If anyone has this information and thinks they might know the names of John's parents I'd be very thankful---and lots of Swans from Baltimore will "fly" your way! Thanks cousins!

Gloria

Larry Swann (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2004 9:04PM GMT
Hello Again,

Yes, the Swan(n) line can be very confusing. I have a Katherine Swann in my line. She was the Daughter of John Dyson Swann, my 2nd GFFmarried Sarah Sally Barber in 1848. All I have on Katherine is her death, sometime before 1848. John Dyson Swann was born in Maryland in 1848, d bef Sept 16,1848 in Oak Ridge, Cape Girardeau, County, Mo. ( This is my line which probably settled in Missouri on a SpainishLand Grant. John D''s Father was Charles Swann Sr (MY 3rd GGF) born in Maryland in 1755, d. in NC after 1820 Married but Wife name unknown.Charles Swann Sr's Father was Samuel Swann Jr, (My 4th FFG) born in MD abt 1720 and died there in 1807, Married to Catherine Dent, date unknown, Son of Samuel A Swann Sr (My 5th GGF) born MD 1676 and died May 1743 in Charles County MD, husband of Ann Burch, born 1695 in Md and died after 1743.Samuel Sr was the Son of Edward Swann Sr (My 6th GGF) and Susannah Heath, Born abt 1632, Died unknown.

I'm not from the same line as Gov Thomas Swann of MD. My family moved to Missouri and settled in Perryville, mo on the Mississippi River just south of St Louis. If what i've providd is of any interest please advise me and i'll send details. Good hunting...

Larry Swann

bps145 (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2004 5:58AM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2005 7:37PM GMT
Dear Larry

I do not like to put people off - but there is absolutely no evidence that Edward Swan of Maryland (d. ca 1707) is related to William Swan of Virginia (d. 1638) - unless you count the DNA evidence that Lena Swann Cusce produced in 2001. I have worked with Lena on the Swan(n) Families of Kent, and before that for some considerable time on my own.

I believe William Swan (d. 1638) can be identified with William Swan who was baptised at Shipbourne in Kent. This family has no obvious connection into the Swan Families of Wye/Nonington (to which Sir Francis Swan, d. 1622 belongs) or to the Swan families of Southfleet/Northfleet - of which William Swan was knighted by Charles II in 1660.

I'm afraid too much internet and continued propagation of half-truths. I can send the evidence if you want (large file).

Brian P. Swann
Camberley, UK

bps145 (View posts)
Posted: 16 May 2004 6:06AM GMT
Edited: 27 Dec 2005 7:37PM GMT
I understand your confusion.

Mostly it arises from continued propagation of myths via the Internet - and use of the former Swan website run by Jeff Swann.

I believe that Edward Swan of Maryland (d. ca 1707) is not related to William Swan of Virginia (d. 1638). I do believe you can identify William Swan of Virginia with a William Swan baptised at Shipbourne, Kent, in 1587. This family has no connection with the Swan family of Lydd/Wye/Nonington in Kent (from which comes Sir Francis Swann, d. 1622 - who had an eldest son, Edward Swann - still living in 1667 in England) or the Swan Family of Southfleet/Northfleet in Kent - of whom William Swan was knighted by Charles II in 1660.

There is a possibility that the line of William Swan of Shipbourne may ultimately link into the Southfleet/Northfleet family - but this will be exceptionally difficult to prove using what available sources there in England for the sixteenth century.

I can share some of the evidence - but be warned they will he large files.

Brian Swann

Gloria (View posts)
Posted: 27 Jun 2004 10:15AM GMT
Hi,

Do you happen to know if this Wm Swan family of VA is one that had descendants migrating to MD in the early 19th century? I have a family of this type and each time I go back further I think I will make a connection with a known family but it just gets more confusing.

I am the great-great grandaughter of John Swan of Baltimore and I believe he had a grandmother, Ann. Ann was from VA. If you know of a connection I'd be most appreciative.

Gloria

email4caesar (View posts)
Posted: 21 Jun 2010 8:08PM GMT
Surnames: Swan(n)
I too am trying to figure this out... from Richard Swann (1786-1852) to Charles Swann (1755-1798) to Samuel Swann (1710-1807) to Samuel Swann (1676-1743) to Edward Swann (1630-1693) to William Swann... If this is incorrect someone please let me know. I'm trying to find out the real lineage and trusting some of the lineages online has been very confusing indeed. Thanks!

Timothy Swann

BrianSwann360 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2010 9:50PM GMT
Dear Tim

I recognise this is confusing. Mainly it is many and varied folk propagating previous semi-correct research.

Very briefly the origins of Edward Swan of Maryland remains unknown in England.

Sir Francis Swann of Denton Court in Kent died in 1622 and did have an eldest son called Edward Swann. However there is clear evidence he was living in 1667 at the Charterhouse Hospital in London - and so cannot be the Edward Swan of Maryland, who was there by 1653/4.

William Swan of Swann's Point, Virginia, was born in 1587 and died in 1638. I like to think I have identified his origins in Kent to my satisfaction. I think he was baptised at Shipbourne in Kent in that year. As such he may be very distantly related to the Swan(n) families of Northfleet and Southfleet in Kent - whom all previous family historians have tried to force him to fit into - principally because of the coat-of-arms on Colonel Thomas Swann's tombstone of 1680 at Swann's Point in Virginia are those of the Southfleet and Northfleet families. However his baptism of 1587 is not in the parish registers. There is one bit of evidence to suggest that the Shipbourne Swan family moved there from a village much closer to Southfleet - but probably back in about the 1520s. If you want chapter and verse on all this - I need an email address.

Trust this helps

Brian

Marian Cranford (View posts)
Posted: 24 Jun 2010 2:11AM GMT
Brian, I would really appreciate the evidence you speak of re: William Swann. My email is: ezduzitok@charter.net. I do have a lot room on my computer - I'm retired, and this is my entertainment replacing movies and such.

My husband was descended from the Virginia Swanns - I have papers, etc., and now my daughters and some of my grandchildren are interested. It is one of my "things" to be as accurate as possible in references, so what you talk of would be a real help.

Again, thanks so much for your information, and for thinking of sending such to us Swann kin, including in-laws.

Marian, Birmingham AL
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions