Search for content in message boards

re: alexander ross caviness

re: alexander ross caviness

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Feb 2011 6:24AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: caviness,mcdonald
am seeking information on my grandfather alexander ross caviness. my dad said very little about his family history.he had married josephine percy mcdonald in about 1900 in goliad,tx.i would appreciate any information.

Re: re: alexander ross caviness

UNG2045C (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2011 6:23PM GMT
Surnames: Hulet, Cavaness
According to the censuses, Percy died ca 1916. 1920 census Alex is list as a wd. She probably died giving birth to Ida Lee. I'm researching the Hulet connection.

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2011 7:29PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Caviness,,Mcdonald,Weatherman,Pope,Palmieri
Hello,I am Carolyn Sue Caviness Mathews, the daughter of Elbert Henry Caviness.He was born at Goliad,Texas October 15,1909 to Alexander Ross Caviness and my grandmother Josephine Mcdonald Caviness. My mother overheard Aunt ethel c. Weatherman and aunt Ida Lee Snyder discussing their mother's death. They were talking about how their father kicked her in the abdomen and she died a few days later. I am in contact with my Aunt Ethel's remaining child,Sybil Pope of Sand Springs,Texas who verifies this fact. She,also, tells me that her mother revealed to her that he beat her viciously everyday. When Granmother was pregnant with their first child,Uncle Tom, he threw a possum through the front door onto her lap. I asked why didn't she go back to her family who lived there and were cultured people. It probably was the old"you made your bed ,now lie in it." We recently visited Longview,Texas to look up any history on that Caviness branch. I had been told by someone when I first moved here,Boy,hope your not from those down by Alpine,they sure are a mean bunch." Family traits die hard. My sister Geneva Palmieri,her mother was a Weatherman,mine was not,had often spoke of him as being known as the meanest man in town. She said that he was very kind toward her mother Wanda Ruth Weatherman Caviness Scownes. She was his caretaker at the end of his life.My father was mean,just not as mean. I am informing you of a little family history,because,if i don't,it will die. I work on whichever tree I find the most information on. I have been in contact on the computer with a cousin,Kenneth Mcdonald,from Grandmother Caviness family and some others. I feel the severe mean streak was only in the Caviness side. Sybil has never said she died after childbirth.May I send your e-mail to her daughter Robbie? I am not sure if she does any research,Sybil sometimes seems surprised by things I find. If Grandmother had died after having Aunt Ida,I know Ida would have shouted that fact from every rooftop she could.She never said that.I will keep looking. We plan to go down again to Goliad to do research,maybe(jokingly) did up some old bones Thank-you so very much for making my day,I always enjoy the search,but contact with others who have family knowledge to share means a lot. sincerely,Sue M.

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2011 7:30PM GMT
Classification: Biography
Surnames: Caviness,,Mcdonald,Weatherman,Pope,Palmieri
Hello,I am Carolyn Sue Caviness Mathews, the daughter of Elbert Henry Caviness.He was born at Goliad,Texas October 15,1909 to Alexander Ross Caviness and my grandmother Josephine Mcdonald Caviness. My mother overheard Aunt ethel c. Weatherman and aunt Ida Lee Snyder discussing their mother's death. They were talking about how their father kicked her in the abdomen and she died a few days later. I am in contact with my Aunt Ethel's remaining child,Sybil Pope of Sand Springs,Texas who verifies this fact. She,also, tells me that her mother revealed to her that he beat her viciously everyday. When Granmother was pregnant with their first child,Uncle Tom, he threw a possum through the front door onto her lap. I asked why didn't she go back to her family who lived there and were cultured people. It probably was the old"you made your bed ,now lie in it." We recently visited Longview,Texas to look up any history on that Caviness branch. I had been told by someone when I first moved here,Boy,hope your not from those down by Alpine,they sure are a mean bunch." Family traits die hard. My sister Geneva Palmieri,her mother was a Weatherman,mine was not,had often spoke of him as being known as the meanest man in town. She said that he was very kind toward her mother Wanda Ruth Weatherman Caviness Scownes. She was his caretaker at the end of his life.My father was mean,just not as mean. I am informing you of a little family history,because,if i don't,it will die. I work on whichever tree I find the most information on. I have been in contact on the computer with a cousin,Kenneth Mcdonald,from Grandmother Caviness family and some others. I feel the severe mean streak was only in the Caviness side. Sybil has never said she died after childbirth.May I send your e-mail to her daughter Robbie? I am not sure if she does any research,Sybil sometimes seems surprised by things I find. If Grandmother had died after having Aunt Ida,I know Ida would have shouted that fact from every rooftop she could.She never said that.I will keep looking. We plan to go down again to Goliad to do research,maybe(jokingly) did up some old bones Thank-you so very much for making my day,I always enjoy the search,but contact with others who have family knowledge to share means a lot. sincerely,Sue M.

Re: re: josephine p caviness

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2011 7:35PM GMT
Surnames: Caviness
Grandmother died april 18,1918. Dad was 9yrs old. Aunt Ethel became the woman of the house and raised her 4 children. sincerely, sue mathews

UNG2045C (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jul 2011 10:08PM GMT
Thank you Sue. I'm also related to Ken McDonald. That is quite a story on your family. Now I can add a little more to my family tree, thanks to you, and now I will add to my tree.
My name is Willie B. Smith Jr. and I live in Longmont, Colorado since moving to this state in 1969 from Texas. I have done research since about 1984 when I first discovered genealogy. Now that I'm retired, I only do research on the computer. Nice to meet you on ancestry.com.

Willie

Re: re: josephine p caviness

UNG2045C (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2011 1:25PM GMT
Surnames: McDonald, Tuton, Harding, Gilbert, Boatright
Sorry that I haven't been in contact before now but I have a recovering great grand-daughter from MRSA. I guess my folks in Goliad could have known your folks. My ggg grandfather was mayor of Goliad in the 1850's. His name was Alexander Boatright. I had a cousin who lived there but has since moved to the coast. Other family surnames of that area are Gilbert, Harding and Tuton. My Hulet connection is my gg grandmother, Mary Ellen Hulet, daughter of Flora Matilda. Mary married Louis Smith in Corpus Christi 1856. Percy, sister of Mary, married McConnell/McDonald.

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jul 2011 3:43PM GMT
Surnames: Caviness
re: percy's death
She died the day after he beat her and kicked her in the abdomen is what aunt Ida and aunt Ethel said. He beat her everyday is what Aunt Ethel told her daugthers Sybil told me. Since she died so quickly I'm sure that is what killed her. caviness was known to be a very mean man. He used a bullwhip on his children. Elbert Caviness,my father, told me that,and Aunt Ida verified it. And,likewise, we experienced abuse.I just met Kenneth MCDonald last weekend for first time.I can't understand why Josephine stayed with him.They lived right there,why didn't someone do something.I have been trying to find information on caviness,but hit a dry spell,so to say. sincerely, sue m.

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2011 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Mcdonald,caviness
Hi Willie, It's nice to meet you,too.Last week we stopped at Ken's in Bastrop. I enjoyed meeting someone from the "sane" side of the family.He has the same blue eyes as my dad and his brother,Tom. I find it so hard to believe that so many people have not passed on information on their families. My mom's sister who is still living,knows very little of her family's past.So,I am very excited to find anything out,even the bad.I have had a lot of people contact me on Caviness.I knew years ago that there was a Caviness book,but haven't found one. mom had visited with a man named Brookshire and he told her about it.Hope all is well with you. I will try to pass on any other tid-bits.Ken was such a great help. take care.
Sue M.

smathews45 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Aug 2011 1:44AM GMT
Surnames: Mcdonald,caviness
Hi Willie, It's nice to meet you,too.Last week we stopped at Ken's in Bastrop. I enjoyed meeting someone from the "sane" side of the family.He has the same blue eyes as my dad and his brother,Tom. I find it so hard to believe that so many people have not passed on information on their families. My mom's sister who is still living,knows very little of her family's past.So,I am very excited to find anything out,even the bad.I have had a lot of people contact me on Caviness.I knew years ago that there was a Caviness book,but haven't found one. mom had visited with a man named Brookshire and he told her about it.Hope all is well with you. I will try to pass on any other tid-bits.Ken was such a great help. take care.
Sue M.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions