Search for content in message boards

Origin of the Chapin name

Origin of the Chapin name

Robert Chapin (View posts)
Posted: 8 Jan 2001 6:50PM GMT
A second thought. When I was in the Paington church I was asked to sign a log book containing the names of all the Chapins who had previously made this same pilgrimage. The person who had signed in just before me was named Roger Chapin and gave his address as a town in France, the name of which I don't recall.

This might further support that the name originated in France.

One other "fact",I've heard the name chapin stood for those who carved the wooden shoes worn in France and Belgium. Who knows!

CHAPIN

aredr (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2001 6:25PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jul 2001 7:37PM GMT
ALRIGHT ROBERT

"THANKS FOR YOUR SUSPORT !
HEY, I WAS WONDERING ......WHO ARE THE CHAPIN FAMILY THAT YOU CONNECT TO?
MY GRANDFATHERS NAME WAS "GEORGE HENRY CHAPIN.
HIS FATHER, NAME WAS BIRCH ZEBBLIN.
THEY LIVED FOR A TIME IN MINNESOTA.

THANKS sue

Chapin Name Origin

Sharon Chapin Toji (View posts)
Posted: 31 Mar 2001 10:19AM GMT
I remember reading once that the name origin was "Cheap Man," in other words a peddler who sold "cheap" goods. When I was little, I always hoped the name was somehow connected to Chopin, but have never read anything to indicate that it has a French origin.

Paignton Church

rthornton70 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2001 10:56AM GMT
Edited: 29 Nov 2003 6:53PM GMT
I am planning a trip sometime in the future to visit the Paignton Church and wanted some info on what kind of records the church has.

-I am interested in tracing the ancestors prior to Roger Chapin (Chopyn)(b. before 1540 d. 12/09/1590). He is the grandfather of Deacon Samuel.
-Does the church have those records?
-Also, is Deacon Samuel Chapin and his wife Cicely Penny Chapin buried there?

I found their 9th son and his wife's tombstone in Springfield, Mass and wanted a picture of Deacon Samuel and his wife's tombstone.

Ken Fox has a great website that talks about the early Chapins. www.theyliveagain.com

R. Thornton

Samuel Chapin

shermaleeo (View posts)
Posted: 10 May 2001 7:14PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 12:24AM GMT
I am very much interested in the Paignton Church, pictures and stories. I will never be able to make the trip there myself because of health problem. Do you have anything you can share with me. I'm more that willing to pay for them. My 9th great grand parents were Samuel and Cicely. I am decended from their daugter Catherine and her husband Nathaniel Bliss then down through the Bartholomews. My mother is a Bartholomew.
Thank you
Shermalee

Re: Samuel Chapin

DonnaMarie1102 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jun 2001 11:22PM GMT
Surnames: Bliss, Chapin, Higgins
Wondered if you could list the children of Catherine and Nathaniel to see if our lines connected. I have a Nathaniel and Catherine who had 4 children and I am descended from Samuel Bliss and Sarah Stebbins. PLease email me at Alw8zL8@bellsouth.net

Donna

shermaleeo (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jun 2001 12:29AM GMT
Hello Donna, I also from the line of Nathaniel Bliss and Catherine Chapin. My line goes from your Samuel Bliss's sister Mary Bliss who married Nathaniel Holcomb. Do I understand that you need the information on the four children? I do have that if you need it. Write me at my e-mail address and we can exchange that information if that is what you need. sochoa1212@aol.com

biddlecome (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jul 2004 4:29AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 19 May 2006 7:46AM GMT
Here's hoping you see this reply to your old post; I am descended from Nathaniel and Catherine's daughter, Margaret Bliss who married Nathaniel Foote. I'd love to have FGS info for Nathaniel & Catherine, as the only child I've had was my own ancestor, Margaret.

Shermalee Ochoa (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jul 2004 12:28AM GMT
Yes, I did get your message. I have quit abit of information. If you would like to write me at my e-mail address we can discuss what all you need and I can mail it to you.
Shermalee

Re: Origin of the Chapin name

rebecca (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2004 1:46AM GMT
my family line comes off from josiah i have been really trying to find out the same thing. i have also heard that the name comes from france and that it held in very high standing. i have been unable to find anything else to back this. i have been able to trace back to deacon samuels great grandparents but thats as far and all info says they to where born in england.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions