Search for content in message boards

Murder in Atchison County

Murder in Atchison County

JoyceCoonrod34 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2004 3:05AM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 16 Feb 2005 3:05AM GMT
Would like to find any info on the murder of James Gilmore on September -08, 1892 .I have part of a letter written by someone in the City Police office or County Sheriffs office. I would think it may have been in the local paper if they had one. Thanks Joyce

Re: Murder in Atchison County

Dave Goldy (View posts)
Posted: 8 Oct 2004 7:08PM GMT
Joyce

The Kansas State Historical Society has microfilms of the Atchison newspapers from that time period available for interlibrary loan.

Search at this link......

http://www.kshs.org/library/news.htm

Good Luck

Dave Goldy
Overland Park, KS

Posted: 9 Oct 2004 2:52AM GMT
Dave,
Thanks i tried your suggestion and there were no hits. The letter has the heading with office of county sheriff. M.E. Larkiin, sheriff- John P. Colgan, under sheriff, B.F. Messimer. bailiff.
Have another letter with the heading Unity Camp -JNO. B.Clark, Clerk.I will keep trying. Again Thanks Joyce

sarah (View posts)
Posted: 9 Oct 2004 10:53AM GMT
If you search by date, there are several newspapers from Atchison in 1892, but they are not indexed by names of people or topics. You can order them to your local library by interlibrary loan, or search them at the state library. Sarah

Dave Goldy (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2004 11:42PM GMT
Joyce

Sarah is correct you are only searchng for a micorfilm number and a newspaper by date. the best way to search is to enter the county and start and end dates. Then the results will list all papers publihed in the county for the dates specified. Then you need to pick the paper published closest to your town of interest. In 1892 the city of Atchison, county seat, had two dalies being published. These are probably the newspapers you want to order and search. You may need to look several days after the murder took place to find articles of interest.

Hope this helps

Dave Goldy
Overland Park

Jennifer (View posts)
Posted: 11 Oct 2004 2:07AM GMT
Surnames: Gilmore
Joyce,
I am off work tomorrow and will see what I can find at the Atchison Public Library in the Kansas Room. I am also looking for other information for myself and will respond as soon as possible tomorrow evening

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 2:07AM GMT
Thanks to Dave and Sarah,
I will follow up as you advised. Joyce

Posted: 11 Oct 2004 2:50AM GMT
Thank s for any help you can give. Joyce

Jennifer (View posts)
Posted: 12 Oct 2004 2:29AM GMT
Classification: Lookup
Surnames: Gilmore
I was at the Library today and the Film was available for your inquiry but the copier was down, due to the fact the library is moving this resource room. Hopefully I can get copies to you soon.

I did take notes though after reading the articles I found out of 2 different newspapers The Atchison Daily Globe and Atchison Daily Patriot over 3 days, September 8, 9 &10th.

Mr. James W. Gilmore, age 61 was shot and killed by C. B Turner, at about 9 a.m. in the City of Atchison, KS September 8, 1892.

His killer was known to him as it was his neice's husband.
Mrs. Turner's mother, Mrs. Elmira Brown of Luray, MO was Mr. Gilmore's sister.

The trouble started when Mr. Gilmore supposedly hit Mr.
Turner in the mouth, and Mr Turner then shot him in the head and shoulder using 4 shots and then hit him in the head with a .38 calibur revolver. Mrs Turner and her two daughters, ages 16 and 14, were in other parts of the house when the shots rang out from the dining room.

Mr. Gilmore had a wife in Chicago and 5 grown children. It was noted the Mr. Gilmore was a soldier of the Civil and Mexican Wars and recived a $24. month pension. He was buried September 10th by the G.A.R. (not sure what or where that is exactly.)

Mrs. Turner and her daughters moved to Atchison from Keokuk, IA with "Uncle Jim" the middle of July 1892. He helped her set up housekeeping. Mr. Turner arrived in August and Mr. Gilmore then left returning the night before his murder.

The Police took Mr. Turner into custody and released him to the County Sheriff's Department. According to Sheriff Larkin Mr Turner will go before Justice Talbott on September 17th, after a Coroner's Inquest determined that Mr. Turner should be charged with Felonious killing.

Mrs Turner has three sons also. Cornelius, Will and Charley. One of the boys was in an Asylum in St. Joseph, MO.

I hope this is good enough information for the time being.

Posted: 12 Oct 2004 2:53AM GMT
Jennifer,
This is great. Thank you so much for takeing notes. I really appreciate what you are doing for me and if i can do something for you from this end let me know. Joyce
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions