Ropesville Cemetery recorded by Virginia and Faith Berry from Oct 2006 - June 30 2007
R. G. Caudle is not listed. You can contact Virginia Berry via email at above Rootsweb link.
Per Texas birth index daughter Marima Gayle Caudle was born 4 Mar 1938 in Hockley county mother was Opal Lee Holder. Gayle Marima / Marima Gayle Caudle married David Lionel Cleveland had five children.
Rena Gaylene Cleveland 22 Dec 65 Tarrant
Johnnie Samuel Cleveland 1 Feb 67 Tarrant
Pearl La Fern Cleveland 15 Feb 68 Tarrant married Scott D Wallerich 21 Oct 1988 Denton county
David Charles Cleveland 13 Jul 73 Tarrant
Susan Lee Cleveland 23 May 75 Dallas
An Opal Lee Holder and Samuel C Sellers had Sammy Gerald Sellars 18 May 41 Erath county and Donald Lee Sellars 18 Feb 1946 Palo Pinto.
R G and mother Mary were listed in Precinct 3 Erath county 1930 census. She was the informant and had remarried to a Whitlock when R G Caudle died and lived in Wichita Falls.
1930; Census Place: Precinct 6, Erath, Texas; Roll: 2326; Page: 9B; Enumeration District: 18; Image: 436.0.
Jess Holder 44 1886 TX
Hattie McCaulley Holder 42
Clide Holder 20 - Clyde Otho Holder born 30 Jan 1910 died 30 Jul 1976 Fort Worth, Tarrant
Garlin Holder 18
Fay Holder 16
Opal Holder 14 born abt 1916
Joe Holder 10
Jessie Holder 8
Sammy Gerald Sellers - Sheryl Renee Rancher - Jerry Don Sellers July 1967 Tarrant
Donald Lee Sellers - Janet Ann Williams - Stacie Shea Sellers 9 Dec 1970 Tarrant
Sam C Sellers born 22 Mar 1917 died 10 Nov 1987 76106 Fort Worth, Tarrant
Sam C Sellers born abt 1917 divorced Jessie B born abt 1915 the 13 Aug 1970 Tarrant county, they married 24 Dec 1953 had no children.
Unable to find Opal Lee Holder Sellers in SS Death index. If this is the same Opal Lee Holder who married R. G. Caudle it appears she divorced Sam Sellers after Donald Lee was born in 1946 to 1953.
ROPESVILLE, TEXAS. Ropesville is on U.S. Highway 62/82 and the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway, in the southeast corner of Hockley County. It was the first settlement of Hockley County, developed when the Spade Ranch opened for colonization in the early 1900s. Early homesteaders were led into the area by Jim Jarrott in 1901. Later, when the South Plains and Santa Fe Railroad Company ran a line from Lubbock to Seagraves, the company agreed to build stock pens, switches, a sectionhouse, and a depot on land donated by Isaac L. Ellwood of the Spade Ranch. The Spade cowboys who constructed rope corrals to hold cattle for shipment wanted to name the depot Ropes, but the name was rejected by the post office officials since it was similar to another Texas settlement called Ropers. The name Ropesville was submitted and accepted. The depot still displays the name Ropes and is now a permanent part of the Ranching Heritage Center in Lubbock. The actual townsite was laid out in 1917, the same year the Ropes school district was established. The first business was a general store opened by J. R. Evans, who also became the first postmaster when the post office was established in 1920. Eventually the Whitehorn Hotel and Cafe, a gin, and a theater followed. The First State Bank, the first bank in Hockley County, was organized on November 21, 1924. The first school, built in 1920, also served as a church. A high school was built in 1925. The First Baptist Church, the first church organized in the county (in 1921), was followed by the Methodist church, the Church of Christ, and the Church of the Nazarene. In 1926 editor Nyles Morris started the first newspaper, the Ropes Hustler. It became the Ropes Plainsman and was sold to the Plainsman of Lubbock around 1968. The Ropesville Resettlement Project began in 1934 in conjunction with Franklin D. Roosevelt's Federal Emergency Relief Administration. The project eventually encompassed more than 16,000 acres divided into eighty-one farms of 140 to 160 acres to grow cotton, sorghums, and other crops. In 1943 federal funds in support of the project were transferred to the war effort, and participating farmers were allowed to purchase the land they worked. Seventy-six farms resulted, ranging in size from 146 to 300 acres. Ropesville increased from a population of 500 and fifteen businesses in 1930 to a peak of 950 residents and forty-eight businesses in 1965. By the late 1980s it had a population of 500, nine businesses, and a post office. In 1990 the population was 494. The population was 517 in 2000.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Mary Alma Blankenship, The West Is for Us: The Reminiscences of Mary A. Blankenship, ed. Seymour V. Connor (Lubbock: West Texas Museum Association, 1958). Lillian Brasher, Hockley County (2 vols., Canyon, Texas: Staked Plains, 1976). Arthur Hecht, comp., Postal History in the Texas Panhandle (Canyon, Texas: Panhandle-Plains Historical Society, 1960). S. G. Reed, A History of the Texas Railroads (Houston: St. Clair, 1941; rpt., New York: Arno, 1981).