Search for content in message boards

Mental Hospital/ Gaare

Mental Hospital/ Gaare

Corrine (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jul 2004 9:25PM GMT
I am searching for the Gaare family. There was Martin, Bernhard and Adolf. All came from Norway. Bernhard was supposedly in a mental hospital in abt 1943. Is there any way to find out if this could be true. Is it possible to get records for such hospitals in Sask. I don't know what hospital but his father wrote him a letter in 1943 and he said he was in a hospital and the reason was the "summertine heat". His father was writing in 1943 the Bernhard was a silent man and didn't make much noise. He married a Emma Pedersen but he may have married before to a girl by the name of Aslaug ??. I don't know how long he was in the hospital but it might have been for a number of years, late 1930's and 1940's.

Re: Mental Hospital/ Gaare

brean605 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2006 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Nov 2006 8:12PM GMT
Here's what I know about getting records from the Weyburn Psychiatric Hospital. No records will be released without the written permission of the person or their direct descendant. If a person died while in the care of the Hospital, they were buried in a special Section of Hillside Cemetery (South of Weyburn, on Hiway#35). During the 20's , 30's, and early 40's whole families stayed at the Hospital (as an alternative to getting Welfare). Often, only the children in a family would be housed at the hospital and given odd jobs to help pay for room & board. They weren't under Pyschiatric Care (per se). This is how the Province Helped. All certified patients, who were capable of doing a job, did so.
There were 2 Pyschiatric Hospitals in Saskatchewan; one at Weyburn (for the South), & at North Battleford (for the North). Both are closed.

jan webb (View posts)
Posted: 4 Aug 2006 11:14PM GMT
Edited: 9 Aug 2006 12:15AM GMT
Where would the records be for the North Battleford Hospital patients?

brean605 (View posts)
Posted: 5 Aug 2006 9:19PM GMT
Edited: 10 Nov 2006 8:12PM GMT
Jan. The same rules according to the release of information, apply to North Battleford Psychiatric Hospital as to the Weyburn one. You have to go to the Health Region where the Hospital was. North Battleford is in the Prairie North Health Region. Their website is www.pnrha.ca There is a contact e-mail address there. I found a history of the Saskatchewan Psychiatric Hospital at www.rpnas.com & a picture. Hope this helps. Bruce

japeterson158 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jan 2010 11:11PM GMT
Surnames: gaare
I have info.

tillotson_9 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Sep 2010 2:45AM GMT
Saskatchewan had two mental hospitals at that time, I believe.One in NORTH BATTLEFORD,SK which I believe may have been for the crimminaly insane and also a hospital in Weyburn SK. Both are still operating.

charles75_1 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Feb 2011 3:12PM GMT
I would assume he was in Weyburn since it was the main one at that time, although there was a smaller unit in Borth Battleford.
Charles
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions