Search for content in message boards

Middletons in New Orleans

Middletons in New Orleans

rebornblessed (View posts)
Posted: 3 Feb 2007 5:23PM GMT
Classification: Query
Would anyone with information on the Middletons in New Orleans, please contact me?
Thanks
RHB

Re: Middletons in New Orleans

Jan Dye (View posts)
Posted: 23 Nov 2007 12:50AM GMT
I am from New Orleans. I also have Middletons in my tree.
Contact me.
Jan Dye

annepalmore (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2008 3:08PM GMT
Jan, did you have a response to your Middletons in NOLA?
I, too, have a Middleton connection through New Orleans and have come to a dead end. Please email if you have information.
Anne Palmore

rebornblessed (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2008 3:17PM GMT
I have had one response to my original query which is a definite link to "my" Middletons.... which is a rather narrow scope. Our Middletons came to the US in the late 1800's from England. There was only the one family. The original immigrant was Reuben Middleton who was an artist and painted scenic backdrops for opera and stage performances. The Gretna school teacher and artist, Norma Middleton, was his daughter. [I'm still trying to find one of Norma's paintings to buy.] But Norma and her 7/8 siblings are the only Middletons in NOLA/Gretna that I personally connect with. It could be that others who respond to this might need to consult with each other.
However, if you think there is a connection to my Middletons, please contact me off message board:
listadministratorevans@earthlink.net

Jan Dye (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2008 4:58PM GMT
Anne,
My connection to the Middletons is through Dan Fred Middleton who married Caroline Rouprich in 1876. Caroline Rouprich's sister, Elizabeth, was my great grandmother.
Caroline and Dan/Fred had a daughter, Caroline, who married James Morgan. I was acquainted with one of their children.
Contact me if any of this helps. I'll share what I have.
Jan

annepalmore (View posts)
Posted: 31 Aug 2008 9:35PM GMT
Jan, thank you for the response. My Middleton connection is Wm Gilbert Middleton. A far fetched story of yellow fever and a quarantined New Orleans. The three Middleton children, Sarah, Joseph and Annie Laurie were placed in an orphanage. My great grandmother, the youngest child, was given to a family from Texas. It was after her marriage in 1860 that she learned of her sister Sarah (Huey). Thanks for reponding. I fear I'm at a dead end.

SharanKathleen (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2009 8:44AM GMT
Surnames: Middleton, Rouprich, Morgan
I am a descendent of a brother of Dan Fred's, Ruben Middleton. I recently found Dan Fred and his wife Caroline. In 1880 Caroline was living with her parents and two children, Catherine (Kate) and Fred, and infant. And I wondered what happened to Dan Fred. Do you have any information about him and/or his brothers, Ruben (Reuben) and Frederick? I also seem to remember my Mother speaking about "Caroline Morgan".
-Sharan

Jan Dye (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2009 2:58PM GMT
Sharan,
I just made a trip to the Jefferson Parish library in Metairie and checked out the marriage register. Dan and Caroline Rouprich were married in 1876, with Reuben Middleton one of the witnesses. For some reason, baptismal records for thier children were included: Katherine in 1877, "Frederick Antoine" in 1880, Pierre Robert in 1882, and Caroline, who married James Morgan, in 1884.
I recently looked at Caroline Morgan's obit, which said she was a native of Argenta, Arkansas.
I found a tree online at Ancesty posted by the Kerwin family, (descendants of Caroline Morgan Kerwin) which listed a death date for Dan Fred as 1888 in Argenta, Arkansas. It also showed Dan Fred's parents were Napoleon Middleton and Mary Ann McCloskey.
I hope this helps.
Jan

SharanKathleen (View posts)
Posted: 21 Dec 2009 12:26AM GMT
Surnames: Middleton, McCloskey, Morgan
Oh, Jan, I am just amazed, thank you for this....Ruben/Reuben is my mother's grandfather. Mother said that Ruben's father was Napoleon Middleton, of England, and his mother was Anna McCloskey, born in Ireland but I was never sure if that was correct. Argenta, Arkansas opens up a whole new area of research. By the way, I came across a 1918 Registration Card (Draft card?) for Frederick A. Middleton which indicated that he was living with his mother Caroline Middleton in Jefferson Parish, and that he was a Judge in the 28th Judicial District Court. So his mother must not have remarried. Do you know if Frederick ever married? I have found reference to a Mr. and Mrs. F.A. Middleton in the society pages of the Times Picayune through News In History . com. Thanks again...I'll check out the Kerwin site and please keep in touch.
-Sharan

Jan Dye (View posts)
Posted: 22 Dec 2009 7:11AM GMT
Sharan,
Caroline Rouprich Middleton was my great grandmother's sister. The Rouprich family lived in McDonoghville, an area which is now part of Gretna,LA. I think all the old families of McDonoghville intermarried and became related somehow.
I haven't found anyone with information about Dan Fred. I assumed he was connected to Reuben and Albion Middleton, but I had no confirmation until I connected with you.
The Middleton's are a side branch in my research, but Dan Fred became an elusive challenge.
I'm out of town at the moment, but when I get back to New Orleans I gather what I have and send it to you. Do you live nearby?
Jan
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions