Search for content in message boards

James L. Smith Mansfield, Cattaraugus Co., NY

James L. Smith Mansfield, Cattaraugus Co., NY

DianeShepardJohnson (View posts)
Posted: 24 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 10:27PM GMT
Surnames: Smith, Robinson, Head, Brownell, Shepard, Branch, Thompson, Pett
My great great great grandfather was James L. Smith born about 1811/1812 in Otsego County, NY. James married Lois P. Robinson born 1815 in Otsego County, NY, the daughter of Jared and Martha (Head) Robinson. The Robinsons were from Hartwick, Otsego County, NY. James L. Smith moved to Maples, also known as Union Corners, in the Town of Mansfield, Cattaraugus County, NY about 1835 or 1836. Lois’ brother William H. Robinson lived nearby. I don’t know exactly when James L. Smith died but he was still living in 1874.

James L. Smith and Lois P. Robinson had the following children born in the Town of Mansfield, Cattaraugus County, NY: Jared R. Smith born 27 Apr 1838 (my great great grandfather, married Melissa E. Brownell), Chauncey (Chauncy) G. Smith born about 1839 (married Mary A. & had children Hattie M. Smith and James B. Smith), Arvilla L. Smith born about 1846, Theresa A. Smith born about 1848 (married James M. Branch), Mary Annett "Nettie" Smith born about 1850 (married Harvey M. Thompson, lived in the Town of Perry, Wyoming County, NY), and Pulaski D. Smith born about 1852/1853 (probably died young). James L. and Lois P. (Robinson) Smith probably had another child that died young.

Jared R. Smith (my great great grandfather) was born 27 Apr 1838 in the Town of Mansfield, Cattaraugus County, NY and died 31 Aug 1917 in Middlefield, Otsego County, New York, buried in Hartwick, Otsego County, NY. Jared R. Smith married Melissa E. Brownell and had the following children: Martha "Mattie" Smith born Apr 1864 (married Duane Henry Shepard), an infant daughter born and died in 1870, Ora Smith born about 1871/1872 (married Orville G. Pett), Sarah "Sate" Smith, and Lynn J. Smith born 16 Mar 1875.

I would like to know more about the Smith family and who James L. Smith’s parents were. I would also like to know where James L. and Lois P. (Robinson) Smith are buried, probably near Maples, Town of Mansfield, Cattaraugus County, NY.

James L. Smith

cathypearl (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 22 Jun 2001 12:55PM GMT
Surnames: Smith
I believe that James L. Smith is buried in the Mansfield Cemetery on Erdman Hill in the town of Mansfield. I will have to double check. Recently, while fixing a water problem, I found a headstone in my basement of a young child, about two years old. Research has led me to believe that it may be a young daughter of his. Please contact me at mortca@hotmail.com, and I will help you with what I can.

Cathy

Re: James L. Smith Mansfield, Cattaraugus Co., NY

Joyceunknown4247 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2001 9:45PM GMT
Edited: 12 Apr 2002 1:44PM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON, SMITH
James L. and Lois P. (ROBINSON) SMITH's daughter, Mary Annette SMITH, married Harvey Merrill THOMPSON. Harvey was the brother of my gg-grandfather, Earl W. THOMPSON. My family information states that James L. SMITH was b. in Herkimer, NY but it does not indicate his place of death or where he was buried. Although my research on the THOMPSON family has yielded the name of Harvey's father, William THOMPSON, I have been unable to find any additional information about the THOMPSON line prior to William. Have you discovered any information on the THOMPSON line while doing your research on the SMITHS which might hold a clue about William's parents or origin?

Re: James L. Smith Mansfield, Cattaraugus Co., NY

familytrace4fsk (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2012 1:47PM GMT
Edited: 22 Aug 2012 1:47PM GMT
Surnames: SMITH, JONES, LESTER
Looking for information on your Jared R. Smith.

I believe that he might have married Carrie Lester-Jones (?)-Smith (?). There is a Jared and Carrie together on the 1900 US in Middlefield, Ostego, New York, USA and Jared's Mother-in-Law is Alice A Lester - this can be Caroline L (Carrie) Lester-Jones (?)-Smith (?).

Thank you,
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions