Search for content in message boards

Looking for half-sibling. Male, born in Binghamton NY late 1950's.

Looking for half-sibling. Male, born in Binghamton NY late 1950's.

TerryCWagner (View posts)
Posted: 17 Mar 2012 9:22PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Johnson, Bell
My mother gave birth to a baby boy sometime in the late 1950's - I would say around 1956-1958. Her name at the time was Grace Marie Johnson, although she may have used Bell (her maiden name). I only know the father's first name, Clayton. He was a Binghamton police officer. My mother was divorced from her first husband and believed her boyfriend to be unmarried. When she announced her pregnancy, expecting they would marry - he told her the truth and left her. She had the baby adopted out through a private attorney. For some reason she kept thinking they named him Craig or something like that. I was born a few years later after she married my father. My mother passed two years ago. I would very much like to see if I can find information on my brother. My mother was adopted at the age of 3 (although the entire birth family kept in touch), by a couple of which the father had been adopted as a child as well. Quite the legacy.

Re: Looking for half-sibling. Male, born in Binghamton NY late 1950's.

joan85032 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Mar 2012 5:06AM GMT
Hi, Did you sign up with NY state registry.?
Also sign up with www.isrr.org

and check and post on www.registry.adoption.com

Google Male adoptee Binghamton ny Father police officer see if anything comes up.

ttyl,
Joan of nyadoptees

Posted: 18 Mar 2012 2:03PM GMT
Thank you Joan - appreciate the leads!

joan85032 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2012 2:08AM GMT
Here is the link for the State registry. scroll down and see the sibling form, fill that out.

http://www.health.ny.gov/vital_records/adoption.htm

nolnacsj (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2012 7:32AM GMT
Edited: 20 Dec 2012 7:33AM GMT
Terry,

Are you sure that the child was a male? How old was your mother then? I ask because I am female and was born in Binghamton in 1956 to a mother who's name was supposedly Marie Jones. Private adoption. Marie Jones and (Grace) Marie Johnson is not that different, especially if someone was trying to hide their identity. Long shot I know but I thought I would ask.

I also recommend that you do a autosomal DNA test like the new DNA test they have here at Ancestry, or the one at 23andMe or FTDNA. Test with all three companies if you can. A lot of adoptees are doing this test. If your sibling has tested, they will come up as a match with you.

Good luck,

Judy

Posted: 20 Dec 2012 4:12PM GMT
Hi Judy,

From everything i know, it was a boy. But that isn't much. I actually had the exact date many years ago, but that was before I had my two youngest kids and put the search aside - now I don't know what happened to the papers I had. I had the hospital and date.
I'd like to do the DNA testing, but just can't afford it currently.
You are correct though, she may have been trying to hide her identity as she was very ashamed at the time.
After the New year I'll look into the pricing of those tests again - and well, you just never know!

nolnacsj (View posts)
Posted: 20 Dec 2012 6:30PM GMT
Terry,

Thank you for your reply. I was born in October, 1956, probably at Lourdes Hospital. Anyway, if you decide to do the DNA test, it will still be 99.00 at 23andMe. Ancestry is 129.00 with Ancestry subscription. FTDNA is 199.00 now on sale, and 289.00 after 12/30/12 unless you do it by doing the upload of your 23andMe results to FTDNA, then it is only 89.00 (recommended way to do it).

If you ever do the DNA test, please also join the AdoptionDNA group on Yahoo (free) where you can get help with your search and understanding your DNA test results.

Hopefully you can find the exact date of your siblings birth as you can search the large adoptee/birth family search and reunion sites by birth date. Also, as Joan said earlier in her post, you need to register with NY State as a sibling in case your sib registers there. Also register with ISRR.org.

Good luck and happy holidays,

Judy
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions