Search for content in message boards

Fanny New & Stockton Dodson

Fanny New

meh97 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 2 Oct 2001 1:47AM GMT
Ronna: I responded to your Cumberland query, check it out and let me know if it rings a bell.

Fanny New & Stockton Dodson

Ronna New (View posts)
Posted: 10 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Dodson
any information on stockton dodson who was seeing a miss fanny new around wayne county and cumberland

Granny Fanny

meh97 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 2 Oct 2001 1:47AM GMT
Surnames: NEW, SPEARS, CHUMBLEY, GOSSETT, GODSEY, HUGHES
Richard: haven't talked for a long time. I also have the book Precious Memories, and it does have a lot of information. Found mine at the Monticello Library. Do you know if there are any other books available on the NEW family? Thanks for your help in the past.

Granny Fanny New

Col.Richard D.Powels (View posts)
Posted: 11 Dec 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Hammond, Morrow, Dick, Hite, Gholson
Ronna,
From "Precious Memories" by Alene New
Hunble Beginnings
An Unusual Woman
Granny Fanny New

In the hills of Wayne Co., there once lived a legend. They called her Granny Fanny New. She was five feet two inches tall with black hair and brown eyes. People say she was very pretty. She was my great-great grandmother on my mothers side and my gread-great great grandmother on my fathers side!

Much talk of Granny Fanny has been handed down from one generation to another.

Granny Fanny is reported to have been a good mother and a good person. Although she was never married she turned out some the finest citizens in Wayne Co....four sons...

Even though she didn't have a lot of money Granny Fanny raised those children and considering how hard the times were back then, especially for women, it would have been much easier for her to have just given them up.

But, not Granny Fanny New...she never took the easy way out.

Fanny lived on Fanny Branch, It is located in Wayne Co.,Kentucky, near a sharp bend in the Big South Fork River near Lower Turkey Creek.

Fanny knew a young man named Stockton Dodson who lived nearby, by whom she had at least four sons and two daughters. Stockton's wife was Nancy, who at some point in time left him...they were divorced in 1835.

Levi, Fanny's oldest son, was born in 1822 and died 1870: John Wesley was the second son. He was born in 1824, died in 1905. The third son, James "Preacher Jimmy" was born in 1826 and died in 1908. The last son William Riley,was born in 1831 and died in 1904

Granny Fanny also had a couple girls: Armilda Drucilla who was born in 1827, died in 1899 and Mary born about 1837, who married a Black and moved to Texas.

It is said Fanny lived under a cliff, and that Stockton passed by every day on his way to and from his griss-mill and logging operation on Sinking Creek. They say he brought a sack of cornmeal to Fanny and the children every day. Also one cold winter he reputedly, came and boarded up the front of the cliff to "help keep the children from freezing to death."

After his divorce, it appears Stocton didn't stay around to help Fanny with their children, nor did he fulfil his duties to his children by Nancy.

Stockton left Wayne Co. and was never heard of in these parts again. Some say Fanny left with him. Some say she lived with him for a short while at the Natural Arch in Pulaski Co. She was absent from the census in 1850 but in the 1860-70 reappeared in the cenus.

Fanny's father was John New, a Revolutionary War Veteran, who was born in Virginia in 1757 and died in 1823, Her mother, Lucinda Godsey, was born in Virginia in 1763. They were married in Albermarle Co. Va in 1778. When the bride was just fourteen years old. John and Lucinda may have moved to possibly Giles Co. Tenn. after Fanny's birth in 1802, but Fanny was born in Virginia. Other possible New ancestors from Tennessee were William and Pleasant New.

Fanny know how to read and write, and taught her children well. Levi raised a large family on Cooper Creek. across the River in what is now McCreary Co. James and Wesley were well known as two of the finest preachers around, and it is known that William Riley was very active in the Church.

There is lots of information here on the New's

Col.Richard D. Powels

Re: Granny Fanny New

cdeccleston (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jul 2001 12:17AM GMT
Edited: 17 Apr 2005 5:13AM GMT
Thank you for this excerpt, and it is very special. I had heard part of this story when I visited Wayne co. in 1995. Is this book available for purchase? I am interested in Granny Fanny because she is the sister to my Henry New (gr-gr-grandfather, I think).

Re: Granny Fanny

shelnew70 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2012 4:41PM GMT
Surnames: New
Hello...my great great grandfather is William Riley New. He married Peggy Godsey. They moved to Truscott, Texas, where he drove horses back and forth from KY to TX. I have photos of Riley, Peggy, death certificates, the Truscott Cemetery and other buildings in Truscott. William and Peggy had a son Isaac Samuel New and he married Alcie Keith (they were from Wayne and McCreary Counties, KY. There is a Sammie New Cemetery where several of my aunts, uncles, cousin and grandparents are buried. I am the daughter of Leo New. There were 15 children. I would to find the book Precious Memories as well. I was in contact with Alene New and had printed off our family tree...the pages of my family are missing. Please feel me to contact. I can family the photos. Michele (Shel) New-Ritter

Re: Granny Fanny

knappgenealogy (View posts)
Posted: 6 Dec 2012 7:08PM GMT
I have just begun researching the New family for my wife. Her 3rd Great Grand Father is James William New son of Fanny New and Stockton Dodson and Brother to William Riley New. I would love to have any information you are willing to share i'm afraid i may not have much but we can compare if you would like. You can email me at Joshua.L.Knapp@gmail.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions