Search for content in message boards

Hopkins-Tucker House, Foster, RI, Providence County

Hopkins-Tucker House, Foster, RI, Providence County

ddtuck33 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2012 7:36PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Tucker, Hopkins
I recently came across this house. It was built in 1726 and was for sale as recently as 2 years ago. I haven't been able to find anymore information about it, however. Looking for any information on who originally built it or any history anyone might have.

Re: Hopkins-Tucker House, Foster, RI, Providence County

gopher56 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Sep 2012 2:11PM GMT
Hi, this might help:http://www.townoffoster.com That is Town Hall in Foster.Tom D

LadyJen23 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Sep 2012 12:06AM GMT
Surnames: Hopkins Tucker House Foster, RI

mindfoggs2 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2012 6:30PM GMT
Surnames: HOPKINS, TUCKER, GAIRLOCK
During the early part of the 1980's, the RI Historical Heritage & Preservation Commission did surveys of the antique & historically significant structures/sites in all 39 RI municipalities as well as some other surveys of specific neighborhoods and structures of a specific classification such as historic bridges.

The print versions have long ago gone out of print but each town's/city's survey book is in pdf form at the RIHHPC site.

http://www.preservation.ri.gov/survey/publications.php

Foster:
http://www.preservation.ri.gov/pdfs_zips_downloads/survey_pd...

I believe the property you're interested in is refered to as the Hopkins-Tucker-Gairlock House in the book. The inventory is organized by road and your property is found on Tucker Hollow Road, deacription starting on pg 78.

All the description says about the builder is that is was "a Hopkins, possibly Joseph". The Hopkins family, being one of RI's oldest, has numerous members as well as Hopkins to Hopkins marriages to challenge the researcher.

One would have to trace the property back from the current land evidence books back through the older deed books to possibly determine just who originally owned this property around the time of the home's construction.

Try looking at Google Books for town histories & privately published genealogies to possibly pick-up hints and leads about the house. Internet Archives will also have books of this sort available.

ddtuck33 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Sep 2012 8:14PM GMT
Thank you for the information, that will be helpful.

urbicoastal (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2012 6:16PM GMT
greetings
we are the homeowners
is there some information we can help you with?

ddtuck33 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2012 7:52PM GMT
Thanks for replying.

I'm looking for some information on the history of the house, who built it, lived in it, etc. I'm a descendent of the Tuckers who lived in this area during the 1700s.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions