Search for content in message boards

MASSILLON STATE HOSPITAL

MASSILLON STATE HOSPITAL

AnnaLeBlanc11 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Oct 2006 6:12AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ROSE, MASSON, MCBRIDE
Can anyone tell me the nature of the Massillon State Hospital in the mid 1940's? My Grandfather's oldest Brother,John Ryder Rose, died there 23 Aug 1943, age 79. Apparently his wife, Hilda E. Masson ROSE was a patient there at the time of John's death. I'd like to know if i was purely a psych facility, or if it was also a hospital of last resort for people limited resources.

Re: MASSILLON STATE HOSPITAL

Joyce Dever (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 6:50AM GMT
Surnames: LUCAS: GOLDEN: SISSON: MONCRIEF
Hi Anna; My grandfather died in Massillon State Hospital in 1953. I believe it was by this time an insane asylum. However, i also believe that it may have been like so many other state hospitals..repositories for the insane, poor people..and people with no other options. Most OH state hospitals gathered in one sick person..and seems their whole family was there as well. That did not happen with my grandfather, but did happen in WV with another relative..entire families living in state hospitals. When you look on the census sheets under one of these hospitals you can see just how many families were there esp in the late 1800's. Hope this helps some. Be safe & take care.

Anna LeBlanc (View posts)
Posted: 16 Oct 2006 2:36PM GMT
Surnames: ROSE, MASSON, MCBRIDE
Thanks Joyce,
When my grandfather's brother died at Massillon State Hospital he was 79. I figure his wife was nearly that age. Either one of them could have had senile dementia, and with one of them in the hospital there was no one at home to care for the other.
Thanks for helping me out with this.

Joyce Dever (View posts)
Posted: 18 Oct 2006 3:05PM GMT
Surnames: LUCAS
YVW Anna. My Grandfather died there in the mid 1950's, he was, from what I understand quite insane by that time. He had "Central Nervous System Lues" we call it systemic syphillis today. He had been a patient there for more than 25 years. Seems a very lonely and sad way to go. He was the Grandpa no one ever talked about..so he must have been an embarassment to the family. Take care & be safe.

Jimmy M. Sisson (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2007 1:50PM GMT
Surnames: MUNCY,SISSON
Hi Anna; I had grand-aunt@Massillon State.She was,I think,Maude(SMITH)MUNCY; wife of my gr-uncle Henry Merrit MUNCY.He died 1940 in Akron,OH but she was'nt mentioned in his obit.I remember visiting her w/my parents a few times in 50's.It was very sad & depressing place to a youngster.My Dad & Grandmother stopped visiting supposedly when Doctor said visits disturbed her too much.But,my Dad made point of she being Aunt by marriage.I would like to know what happened to her though. Thanks,Jimmy M. Sisson - sisson42@aol.com

DMoochie (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2007 1:56AM GMT
Surnames: Heisler, buchtel, larson,
Regarding MSH, I do remember that hospital, and it was mainly for people that had a nervous and physical break down. My sister in law was sent there in the 1950s. I do remember my parents saying that it was basically for that purpose> I hope this helps in some way.

sandraault (View posts)
Posted: 30 Mar 2007 2:09AM GMT
Before the 50's it was TB hospital. In the 90's it was for alcohol and drug abuse.

804sstein (View posts)
Posted: 30 Sep 2009 2:24AM GMT
Surnames: Stein, Brown
My grandfather was institutionalized there in 1928 for schizophrenia precox, a diagnosis that no longer exists. Basically, my grandfather was probably psychotic. he was there until he was deemed no longer a threat to the society. He was then transfered to a nursing home, where he lived out the rest of his days.

Massilon State Hospital was built in 1892 and has always been used to instituionalize the insane. It was one of the first asylums based on the 'cottage' principle. We see it used now with adolescents in group homes.

jseni1952 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Oct 2009 2:46AM GMT
Surnames: Rose
Anna, I am hoping that you get this posting. I know your posting was in 2006. I have some information about John and Hilda Rose.
My email jseni1952@yahoo.com

MeganZloty (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jan 2010 8:19PM GMT
Thank you for posting this information. I was researching my step-grandfather's family and came across a possible brother of his in Massillon in the 1920 census. The family lived in Cleveland. The only family member left with any memory remembers something vague about a possible brother born in 1891 but who then disappeared from family records. The name is not that common so it is possible. Does anyone know if there are hospital records available somehow from those early days?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions