Search for content in message boards

Menallen Meeting Minutes 1748-1765

Menallen Meeting Minutes 1748-1765

lynwf (View posts)
Posted: 1 Aug 2008 9:33PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McElwee, Muckelwee, Wickersham
I'm looking for anyone who might have access to birth and death records for Menallen Meeting Minutes, 1748-1765. I have notes from York County Heritage Trust which says:

Charles Mucklewee of the Menallen Meeting was received 10/12/1765 by
the Warrington Monthly Meeting. Hannah and Sarah McElwee were received
10/11/1766 by the Warrington Monthly meeting. A Sarah McElwee married a
Farra before 8/10/1793. Samuel McAlwee was single in Warrington in
Charles Muckelwee and Hannah Muckelwee were witness at the marriage of
William Wickersham and Mary Nevet on the 27th day of the 11th month
1766 at the Warrington Monthly Meeting.

Any help appreciated,or contact me direct at:
lfarrah@sbcglobal.net

Re: Menallen Meeting Minutes 1748-1765

Melrod12 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2008 9:29PM GMT
The book "Menallen Minutes, Marriages and Miscellany" by Margaret B. Walmer only covers the years 1780-1890. Have you tried the Adams County Historical Society, they might have the years you're after. The LDS (Mormon) collection in Utah has the minutes on microfishe, that can be loaned to your local Family History Library.

What is it specificly you are looking for?

lynwf (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2008 10:13PM GMT
From the information provided by York County I feel Charles' wife may have died in that time frame. Also, I'm seeking a possible birth date for Sarah, his daughter, and any other family information. There was a Charles MacElwee that married Ann Wickersham in 1747 in Chester County and I'm looking to see if this is the same Charles.

Melrod12 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2008 12:29AM GMT
I don't think Quaker records are going to be much help to you. I looked in the Wm. W. Hinshaws abstracts of Pennsylvania Quaker records, that I have on hand, in Chester Co., Kennett MM, London Grove MM, Goshen MM & Concord MM, none have the name listed in their indexes, in any variation. I think I found a mention in New Garden MM records under, "MCKLEWEE." As follows:

"7-28-1753 Ann gct Warrington MM"

Same meeting under "Wickersham" I found the following, word for word:

"1-28-1747 Ann Mucklove (form Wickersham) - also given as Ann Wickersham, alias Mucklove - dis for mou."

This is all there is. Charles is never mentioned. Other then these two minutes I didn't find the name Mcelwee or variation anywhere else. I also have the first 100 pages of the abstracts of Warrington MM records by Gilbert Cope (1877) and I looked for months before and after 7th mo. 1753 and there is no mention of Ann or anything else possibly connected. Once Ann was "disowned" kicked out of the Society of Friends in 1747, all records of her should have stopped. Why a certificate was issued in 1753 is puzzling. Anyway, you might be wasting your time searching Quaker records.

lynwf (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2008 12:43AM GMT
Thanks so much for the information. I just don't understand how she was kicked out and then Charles transfers form Menallen to Warrington in 1765. Is it possible he joined and she was reinstated by 1753? This is pretty thin at best but still worth looking into.

Melrod12 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Aug 2008 8:03PM GMT
Do you mind if I ask what your source is for the meeting minutes you have? Mcelwee is not listed in any indexes I have, except for what I posted prior. It is possible for someone to be disowned and later reinstated, usually after a minimum of 6 months, sometimes years.

lynwf (View posts)
Posted: 10 Aug 2008 8:37PM GMT
The information posted in my first post was that the information came from a York County Heritage trust family file. I am guessing they came from Warrington MM as that is where Charles was transferring to. He lived in York County the remainder of his life. I have copies of property settlement records for him listing four surviving children, one of which, Samuel is buried at Warrington. I also have court records from Chester County saying that Ann Wickersham married a Charles MacElwee. This is in relation to her fathers' property settlement, John Wickersham. I know there was another Charles MacElwee in Franklin County on the 1790 census. However, Charles in York County had property adjoining John Nesbitt, who married another of John Wickershams' daughters, Hannah. A lot of the first names are the same and I am just looking for the proof of the connection in church records. I know how families moved as a group when relocating. I also know I'm not the first one searching for this missing link.

Melrod12 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Aug 2008 6:31PM GMT
This is strange, besides the 100 pages I have of Warrington MM records, by Cope, I have the sister book to Menallen, by Margaret B. Walmer, "100 Years at Warrington" and "McElwee" is not in the index.

I have a post of Warrington cemetery inscriptions (I should have looked at this first) and I show two McElwee's buried there, Samuel & Joanna, who I'm assuming are husband and wife. Check it out.

http://www.interment.net/data/us/pa/york/warrington.htm

The work done by Cope, 1877 and Margeret B. Walmer, 1989 are pretty much the predominant sourses for Warrington MM records.

You do realize that a "family file" is work done by someone, not necessarily a professional researcher, then they contributed the work to York County Heritage Trust.

YCHT does not verify or confirm the accuracy of the work, they just accept it. All material from such a source has to be checked and confirmed.

Have you found the probate file for Charles, ie: will and/or estate file. I have land records for Warrington township and there are several McElwee's including Samuel & Charles. If you're interested I'll scan them and email them to you.

lynwf (View posts)
Posted: 12 Aug 2008 9:50PM GMT
I do not have an estate file on Charles. However, I do have a property transaction saying Charles died intestate with surviving children, James, Sarah Farra, formerly McElwee, Samuel and Rebeka. In this transaction the property is sold to James by the other three.
I have Dr. Hivelys' books on original land grants in Dover and Warrington Townships. Charles applied in 1767 or 1768 (I don't have to book with me) and it says it has been settled 12 to 15 years. If you have something different please scan them for me. My e-mail address is: lfarrah@sbcglobal.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions