Louise Hamilton (View posts)
Posted: 7 Sep 2002 12:26AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Hamilton, Brady
James F. Hamilton (1785--10-10-1848)
married 6-10-1811 in Woodville, MS
died in St. Francisville, LA

wife Harriet M. Morris

children Elvira, James, George, Margaret, Willis L. Sarah, Harriet Jane, Francis Ann, John, Henry, and Mary.

Willis L. Hamilton (7-4-1820--5-4-1893)
married 5-25-1850 in St. Francisville, LA
born and died in St. Francisville, LA

wife Minerva Ann Brady (9-28-1826--8-17-1903)

children Clara, Walter, James Vance, Willis Alexander, Emma, William Edger, Fred Ogden, Franklin, Ida, Lawson, Rosa, and Julia

Fred Ogden Hamilton (4-20-1866--3-12-1941)
Willis Alexander Hamilton (8-24-1856--3-11-1943)

Fred Ogden and Willis Alexander are both buried in Grace Church Cemetery in St. Francisville, LA

Thank You!

Louise

Re: James Hamilton and descendents

@@GEKEY@worldnet.att.net (View posts)
Posted: 16 Aug 2004 8:45PM GMT
Edited: 9 Feb 2005 7:40PM GMT
Surnames: JACKSON POLK DENT WRIGHT DAVIS
my greatgrandfather Henry Polk born 1820 in Mississippis had a slavey owner named Willis\Wm Hamilton, in West Feliciana Parish befor the Civil War, after the War this Hamilton gave my greatgrandfather about 63 acres of land, in which mygreat greatgrandfather called the Polk land he died in 1904 . I am trying to find the slave records which I was told that the Hamilton family still have.Because this Hamilton started my greatgrandfather off with the te acres of land my greatgreatgrandfather contu to purchase land and when he ndied he owned and left 999.98 acres of land to his children of which one was my greatgrandmother Barbara Polk Jackson and as of this date we the descendents (Jackson's) still owned this land which consist of 120 acres.which is still called The Old Polk Place in WFP. I have been working on ourr Family Tree since 1987, and would appreciate any information you can give me regarding these slave records

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 8:52PM GMT
Surnames: JACKSON POLK DENT WRIGHT DAVIS
My greatgrandfather Henry Polk born 1820 in Mississippi had a slave owner named Willis\Wm Hamilton, in West Feliciana Parish before the Civil War, after the War this Hamilton gave my greatgrandfather about 63 acres of land, in which my great greatgrandfather called the Polk land he died in 1904 . I am trying to find the slave records which I was told that the Hamilton family still have.Because W.L\Wm
Hamilton started my greatgrandfather off with 63acres of land my greatgreatgrandfather contu to purchase land and when he died he owned and left 999.98 acres of land to his children of which one was my greatgrandmother Barbara Polk Jackson and as of this date we the descendents (Jackson's) still owned this land which consist of 120 acres.and which is still called The Old Polk Place in WFP. I have been working on ourr Family Tree since 1987, and would appreciate any information you can give me regarding these slave records

Posted: 16 Aug 2004 9:01PM GMT
Surnames: JACKSON, POLK, DENT, WRIGHT, DAVIS
I FORGOT TO TELL YOU THE SLAVEOWNER COULD BE jAMES hAMILTON SINCE HE ALSO WAS BORN IN WOODVILLE MS. HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.

Posted: 3 Feb 2005 4:14PM GMT
Surnames: POLK=JACKSON=DENT=WRIGHT=DAVIS
My Greatgrandfather Henry Polk\slave born Feb. 1820 from Woodville Mississippi moved with his slaveowner to St. Francisville La. I was told that the slaveowner's name was Hamilton. and I am trying to locate the slave records which will show who owned him. After the Civil War my greatgreatgrandfather Henry Polk acquired over 999.98 acres of land during his life time which he called the Old Polk Place which still exist today. when he died in 1904 he left this land to his eight children of which one was my greatgrandmother Barbara Polk Jackson, I was told that James Hamilton's decendents still had the records listing the slaves. I am trying to complete my family history and was hoping you could help me in giving me the information regarding my greatgrandfather Henry Polk .
Any help you can share with me will be greatly appreciated.

Louise Hamilron (View posts)
Posted: 5 Feb 2005 4:10AM GMT
Hi! Geraldine,

Yes, the Hamilton family did have slaves back then. I have found in the probate records where slaves were willed to varouis family members but there were no names listed. I have not found a names list yet.

There were three or four Hamilton families in West Feliciana Parish at that time. They all owned slaves.

Have you tried the West Faliciana Parish courthouse ? They should have what your looking for in the old record books.

see Genforum - Record Lookups Forum - #12571.

Sorry couldn't be of more help to you!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Louise

Posted: 6 Feb 2005 7:14PM GMT
Surnames: POLK=JACKSON=DENT=WRIGHT=DAVIS
Hi Louise:
all of my ancestories are from Louisiana, however, I am from Chicago, I still have aunts, uncles, cousin in Louoisiana, so I go there quite offten I have been to wfp courthose many times.
my surnames are Jackson-Polk-Dent-Wright and Davis. all from WFP, EFP, EBR, Orleans, St. John Baptist,

My Polk"s are from WFP, I have the information regarding my greatgreatgrandfather Henry POlk\Slave papers\Will, Deeds, Land ownership 999.98 acres he owned of which his daughter Barbara Polk Jackson left her share 102 acres to us which we still own found these papers at the courthouse, I have collected records on the Hamilton (over 22 Hamilton's names birth\married\died\Cemetery records etc.BUT NOT SLAVE NAMES LISTED RECORDS.etc) from 1810 -1820-1830-1840-1850-1860-1870-1880-to date which show them owning slaves but as you known they do not show names, My ggggrandfather Henry Polk born 1820 Mississippi and my records show the only Hamilton that was born in Mississippi were Jamesdied 1818\\James F. born 1785 and Willis.L. .
Would you by any chance have copies of the probate Wills ?when I find Henry, s Owner I will be able to trace his beginning..

Thank you again.

lonnee62 (View posts)
Posted: 5 Jan 2010 1:11AM GMT
Surnames: hamilton
Hi there

I have started a website for the descendants of the Hamilton family of West Feliciana parish. http://hamiltonwestfeliciana.com

geraldinekey1 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2010 6:09PM GMT
Surnames: JACKSON, POLK, DENT, WRIGHT, DAVIS
I understand that Willis Hamilton was the owner or my Greatgreatgrandfather Henry Polk who wa born in 1820 in Mississippi and the owner brought him to West Feliciana Louisiana when he moved there. however, Henry Polk had 8 children of which one daughter named Barbara Polk my greatgrandmother married my greatgrandfather James/Jim Jackson on January 2m 1867. etc
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions