Search for content in message boards

A Lie on a Birth Certificate

A Lie on a Birth Certificate

chmorrisuk (View posts)
Posted: 22 Nov 2009 3:38PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 25 Nov 2009 2:20PM GMT
Hi,
Can anyone shed light on the following please? My Great Grandfather`s birth certificate appears to have 2 corrections on it. The first is where his father is named. My G. Grandfather was Robert George Black b. London 1858 and his father was shown as Robert Blake, the Blake part being crossed through and the number 21 written next to it and then underneath Black. Then under signature of informant it says Amelia Black Mason Mother and then the address. The Mason is crossed through and the number 22 written against it. Can I assume that these 2 "corrections" were simply that. A mistake by the registrar? The next bit I am the most concerned to find out about. The Mother of Robert George is shown as Amelia Black formerly Mason. This seems to imply that the parents were married. However another branch of the family thinks that they were not married and that she was married to someone else at the time. How common, or not, was it then to lie on an official document. How likely would they be to be caught and if they were what was the punishment?

Re: A Lie on a Birth Certificate

mi2early (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2009 2:31PM GMT
Is this an actual birth cert? Without being able to see the birth certificate, it's hard to answer. If this was found on a copy of a register, it would suggest that the names were crossed through and the numbers assigned as transcriptions were made of the register, rather then any corrections were being made.

"The Mother of Robert George is shown as Amelia Black formerly Mason." This indicates that the mother's name at the time of Robert's birth was BLACK, but that she had been married previously at which time her name was MASON.

Take a look at the excellent BMD tutorial site at http://home.clara.net/dixons/Certificates/indexbd.htm

Hope that helps a little!

chmorrisuk (View posts)
Posted: 25 Nov 2009 4:01PM GMT
Hi,

Many thanks for the reply. I will look at the site you suggest but also wondered if you would look at the certificate for me? If you send me your e-mail I could send it as an attachment? Interestingly why did you assume that Mason was a previous married name? I thought it was her maiden name?

chmorrisuk@hotmail.com

Christine

mi2early (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2009 4:16PM GMT
You can attach a copy of the birth cert. to your message here on the board.

I didn't 'assume' that MASON was the mother's previous married name. In the tutorial about certs given in my previous marriage you'll see -

"If a woman has not been married there will be a sole entry for her name e.g. Martha Robinson. If a woman has ever been married there will be two names shown for her e.g. Martha Robinson formerly Wheeler. If a woman has been married more than once the names shown will be e.g. Martha Robinson late Wheeler formerly Gregory. If a woman has been married, all previous names should be shown whether the baby being registered was legitimate or not."

Hope that helps!

chmorrisuk (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2009 7:32PM GMT
Edited: 1 Feb 2010 2:29PM GMT
Hi,
Thanks for that. I have attached certificate for you to look at. Well I think I have!! If not let me know and I will get my son to do it!!
Christine
Attachments:

chmorrisuk (View posts)
Posted: 5 Dec 2009 7:35PM GMT
I have managed to attach it!! Please could you comment on the "alterations" that are numbered? What do you think? I have not yet seen a certificate with mistakes. Why did the registrar not issue a "correct" certificate?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions