Search for content in message boards

John and Mary Paterson

John and Mary Paterson

Tara Hawkins (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Paterson
Looking for information that might help me prove that John and Mary Paterson are the parents of my Jessie/Janet Paterson. I do not know if this couple even exists, but if Jessie and her husband used the normal naming procedure with their chilldren, this would be the names of her parents. Can anyone help me to find out if they exist? Jessie was married in 1845 so probably born bef 1830.

Paterson

LibWindram (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2001 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 25 Jun 2001 9:38PM GMT
Surnames: Paterson, Patterson
I am responding to a posting over a year old, so you may already have the little information which I have to offer.
I have checked all my data on Paterson, and the only couple who might qualify are John Patterson and Mary Blaickie of Coldingham. The only children that I can find, however are Archibald 1818, James 1823 and George 1826.There is also a John Paterson who married Mary Blackie and had a son Allan 1840 in Ayton. These Johns may be the same people. A new parish, a new Minister , a different way of spelling.

Re: Paterson of Coldingham

davidpaterson1 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2002 7:02AM GMT
Edited: 3 Apr 2002 11:10PM GMT
Hello, I noticed the combination of Patterson & Coldingham.
I'm descended from William Patterson who married Margaret
Gilroy in Coldingham in 1794. I don't know whether William
was christened in 1767 or 1793.

Do you have any information on Paterson/Patterson of
Coldingham?

Paterson, Gilroy (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jan 2003 10:40PM GMT
A little late with a reply. have been out of circulation for a while. Hope this might help.
Memorial inscription, Coldingham
Ralph Gilroy Esq., died 12th nov 1825. Margaret Gilroy, wife of William Paterson, Joiner in Coldingham, died 7th Mar 1834. Their son William Paterson , died in Jamaica 30th Sep 1822. Daughter Margaret died in Newcastle july 1830 aged 31yrs. William paterson. feuar in Coldingham died 30th Mar 1848 aged 81yrs. John Paterson died at Eyemouth Dec 1849 aged 45yrs. George died in Australia 1864 aged 63yrs. Mary Lee Paterson died 24th Feb 1878 aged 75yrs.

Looks like 1767 is the birth date of William

David Paterson (View posts)
Posted: 12 Jan 2003 10:42PM GMT
Thanks for that.

I'm hoping that somone can look up for me the microfilm of the Coldingham parish register for the William Patterson - Margaret Gilroy marriage 7 Feb 1794 in Coldingham. Both the IGI and microfiche state that the microfilm has "more information" on that marriage. There are at least three possible births for William:

20 Mar 1767 to John Paterson & Alison (last name Alison or Turnbull?) East Reston, Coldingham
21 May 1767 to William Paterson & Margaret Spense, Coldingham
15 Dec 1767 to John Patterson, Earlston, Berwick

I can't find possible births for Margaret anywhere in the UK.

Re: John and Mary Paterson

patricktuttle1 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2005 11:07AM GMT
I am a direct descendent of John Patterson & Mary Blaikie (or Blackie or Blakie). Based on my research this couple was married in 14 Feb 1818 in Chirnside. The 1841 Scottish census Berwick (District Coldingham, Houndswood, Ferney Castle) notes the approximate ages of the family members. I have noted where my subsequent research has confirmed birth dates: John Patterson (50); Mary Patterson (40); Archibald (20) actually born 24 Nov 1818; Jennet (15)- this might be your ancestor; James (14) actually born 21 Sept 1823; George (12)actually born 30 July 1826; John (10)- this is my ancestor who migrated to Australia; Robert (8); Thomas (6); William (2); Allan (10 months) actually born 30 July 1840. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who shares these ancestors

Audrey (View posts)
Posted: 29 Nov 2005 2:40PM GMT

I am also a direct descendant of John PATTERSON and Mary BLAIKIE/BLACKIE,
they are my 4x's great grandparents. I am descended from their daughter
Janet/Jessie and her husband Henry HUGHES. I have quite a bit of research on the
family and would be happy to share.

Audrey

Jacqui (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2005 10:34AM GMT
Surnames: Sharp, Burgon, Hardie, Blaikie, Martin, Cormack
My great, great grandmother was born Mary Blaikie around 1850 and lived in the Oxton/Channelkirk area of Berwickshire. I would be interested to know if there is a connection.

Best wishes

Jacqui

Mary Patterson (nee BLAIKIE or BLACKIE)

Jackie (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2005 10:41AM GMT
Surnames: BLAIKIE or BLACKIE, PATTERSON, ALLAN
Jackie
I cannot confirm any connection as my research only extends from the Patterson line (Namely John PATTERSON son of John PATTERSON and Mary BLAIKIE). The only BLAIKIE information I can add is that Mary's parents (per her death regsitration on 13 Aug 1869) were James BLAIKIE and Janet ALLAN.

Regards
Nicole

jannette_conner (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jul 2012 9:07AM GMT
I am doing a bit of family research and I remember my mother. Joan Paterson Bryant telling me that her great? possibly great great grandmother was called Jessie Paterson. All I know about her was that she and her husband worked on the estate belonging to the Duke of Buccleugh. What is also interesting is that I am decended on my fathers side from Ralph Gilroy who was connected to the Patersons. Hope this is of help, Jan Connor
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions