Search for content in message boards

Josiah Slone/Sloan OH/IN b. 1796

Josiah Slone/Sloan OH/IN b. 1796

davidslone (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2000 1:00PM GMT
Edited: 21 Jul 2001 1:35PM GMT
Looking for any family connections or information on Josiah Slone, born c. 1796 and raised in Clermont County, OH. Son of William Slone and Elizabeth Prickett. Bought land in Montgomery County, IN 1834 andin Boone County, IN census of 1840. Thanks.

Re: Josiah Slone/Sloan OH/IN b. 1796

crows595 (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 2010 8:16PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Sloan, Slone or Sloane
I am looking for information on Josiah as well. I have information on his son William P. and his wives plus his daughter Anna Sloan and her relatives. I was at the Cox cemetery and took photos of tombstones if you have an interest.
Willoughby Crow, Arizona

davidslone (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2010 9:45AM GMT
Hi Willoughby -

I descend from Josiah through his son Robert (who went from OH>IN>IL) his son Nebraska Bill on forward. I have a fair amount on information on some of the family, particularly from Robert forward and Josiah's parents William and Elizabeth Prickett. William was an early settler (ca 1796) in lower Cincinnati era and eventually settling in Edenton/Stonelick. Perhaps you have all this? I haven't look at my notes for a year or two, but I have copy of William's will (leaving Josiah out - already got his land?) a will deeding property to Anna/Josiah by I think Richard Wood, a deed of land in Montgomery County, IN for Josiah and various other referencese. He is listed as having a lot of kids, but I haven't pinned them all down - Anna living with daugter (married a Hoover in ca 1860 in Indianapolis. Lost track of Josiah after 1840 census, so don't know where he was buried, where Anna was buried, who all the kids were. etc. In the end I became so twisted up with this family - Levi, Anna E?, Keziah, William, Elizabeth - etc. It sounds like Josiah was a kind of hard-luck guy who barely made ends meet? Would be delighted to know what you know: Anna's parents, where Anna born, children's names, where Josiah and Anna buried. A lot of mysteries. For example, shows in 1860 census in Indianapolis area with William and Anna right next to a household that has a bunch of kids by name of Sloman. Assume that was a mistake and it is meant to be Slone/Sloan but who are all those kids? How does your thread go?

I have a good deal of info I will share.

TY

David

crows595 (View posts)
Posted: 1 May 2010 7:28PM GMT
My line goes from Josiah & Anna's son William P Sloan...He married 4 times and had a daughter they named Nancy Ann (Anna)and was raised by her stepmother, Margaret Caldwell...They are all buried in the Cox cemetery, Boone, Indiana...
I have a good bit of information on William Wand but am having difficulty with his father William from Ireland, his wife, Mary Guthrie and also Josiah...I think Josiah and wife were in the outskirts of Indianapolis about the time he died...If he is buried there, he has probably been moved because Indianapolis exploded into a huge city. He is an elusive ancester...
I found the first William from Ireland in Lancaster Co. on the Proprietary & tax lists, Stanford University library...I think that is him...He had a hard time too. 1 horse 2-3 cows plus some acerage..He moved alot..I lost him in 1772 then he is shown as a freeman in 1773...The last year there is 1782 in Drumore twp...After that I found a Wm & Mary in Westmoreland co...There are more George, Wm & John Sloan's all over the country!! Will keep you posted on my digging. Willoughby

crows595 (View posts)
Posted: 3 May 2010 4:54PM GMT
I am thinking Wm #1 from Ireland lived in Westmoreland Co, Pa in Unity twp. William and Mary are both shown in the usgwarchives 1786 Septennial census, Westmoreland co. Mt Pleasant twp...They had 1 child left at home at that time. Every other Wm Slone listed anywhere still had a bunch of kids..I found a Wm Slone in Hanna's town 1773-1774 that signed a petition to Wm Penn.They later bought land in Unity twp adj. to his brother, John in Derry and Unity.I found a James Sloan that signed the Oath of Allegiance in Lancaster co. in 1777 at ristenbatt.com..There are more Sloans all over the country named WM with brothers John, etc....If you want to send me your e-mail address, I will forward some of this to you...I am leaving Ancestor.com soon..Mine is crows9238@cox.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions