Search for content in message boards

Sheboygan Co. Asylum/Northern Hospital for the insane in Winnebgao?

Sheboygan Co. Asylum/Northern Hospital for the insane in Winnebgao?

malss9703 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2010 6:21PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Rust
I am looking for information about a relative named Adolph Rust. I found a couple of articles in the Sheboygan Press about him. One says he was "found insane by Judge Krez and will be taken to the Northern hospital for the insane at Winnebago"(2/24/1910). The other is also in the Sheboygan Press and it indicates he died at 34 years old in the local county asylum (10/28/1918). Not sures if this is the same place, or if he was in 2 different asylums, but I am trying to find out what he did to get thrown in the asylum, and what killed him at 34. Does anyone know where I can find this out?! Any help is appreciated!! Thank you!!:)

Re: Sheboygan Co. Asylum/Northern Hospital for the insane in Winnebgao?

marmil74 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2010 7:55PM GMT
Surnames: Rust
I made a transcript of the death certificate:
Sheboygan County Death Volume # 20 Page 109
ADOLPH RUST
d. October 27, 1918,insane asylum
b. June 16, 1884, Wisconsin
father: Carl Rust, b. Germany
mother: Martha Kraatz, b. Germany
cause: influenza
buried: Lutheran Cemetery
Yes, there was a Sheboygan County Mental Hospital on the west side of the city adjacent to the Sheboygan County Poor Farm. Probably Adolph was initially sent to Winnebago and then transfered to be closer to home and family. Any records as to why he was committed would be long gone after 100 years. The courts are only required to retain commitment records for 10 years.
I hope this is helpful to you.

malss9703 (View posts)
Posted: 16 Feb 2010 8:43PM GMT
Thank you!!!!!!! That is very helpful!! It answers one of my questions. I'll keep hunting for the other, but I won't keep my hopes up.

zoogene33 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Feb 2010 8:30PM GMT
Try calling the Register in Probate and/or the Clerk of Circuit Court departments for Sheboygan County. (I was able to find an old record in the Milwaukee County Probate dept. for something in the 1920's.) Ask them if they have files from that time period, they may be stored off-site and have to be ordered from the storage facility (which is why you should telephone first). Some old court records have been transferred to the Wisconsin ARC system. http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/libraryarchives/arcnet/milwa...

The court record will often have details of what caused the judge to rule as he did.

Good luck!

Griepentrog (View posts)
Posted: 18 Feb 2010 2:39PM GMT
The Sanity Proceedings, 1898-1953 are held by the Wisconsin Historical Society Area Research Center in Milwaukee [call no. Sheboygan Series 16] These are restricted files, however, you may petition (by letter) the Sheboygan County Register in Probate for access to the records. Once you have their authorization, you will be able to request the records from Milwaukee ARC.

The Northern Hospital for the Insane (now known as the Winnebago Mental Health Institute) in Oshkosh has their records and will research them for you. You need to contact them by letter, explaining how you are related to the individual and the approximate dates they were a patient at the facility. These records will tell you when the patient was transferred to another facility.

I'm not finding the location of the records for the Sheboygan County Asylum. I would start by calling the Milwaukee ARC to see if they house them or if they know where they can be located.

Hope this helps!

LAGardenGirl2 (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2010 6:04PM GMT
I discovered I had two relatives from one branch/limb at the Sheb. Co. Asylum in early 20th century. They do appear in the census records. When I visited Sheb. Co. last year, I attempted to overturn every stone looking for records. I was told by two sources that it's last ownership was private and that that owner destroyed all records when it closed.
I'd appreciate knowing if, in fact, there are any records in Milwaukee, other than Census Reports.

priscillamatheson57 (View posts)
Posted: 22 May 2010 8:32PM GMT
Hi.
The Sheboygan County Historical Society in Sheboygan Falls has a partial list of those admitted. The actual court records were destroyed in a fire.
Good luck.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions