Search for content in message boards

Cornwell

Cornwell

Carol Davies (View posts)
Posted: 1 Feb 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cornwell, Judd, Swope, Sullivan
I would appreciate any information on the parents of Elijah Cornwell, of VA; murdered 1804, Monroe Co, VA; married 12 Nov 1794, Greenbriar, VA, Ruth Swope. They had a daughter Nancy born ca 1804, Monroe Co; died after 1880, probably Appanoose Co, IA; married 24 Nov 1819, Adair Co, KY, Joseph Judd. Elijah's father was Edward--who was his mother?
Thank you,
Carol

Re: Cornwell

jstrahin1 (View posts)
Posted: 28 Oct 2011 4:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
I'm really trying to track Elijah Cornwell's family after his death because his daughter, Betsy, is the best fit I've found for being my 3g grandmother.

I've seen the marriage record for Nancy Cornwell and Joseph Judd and read the messages posted here. After finding the marriage in 1819 I wondered if I could find an 1850 census record in Adair County. Joseph and Nancy are still there, in Adair County Kentucky. This census record raises a red flag. According to it, Nancy was born in 1808. If this is true then Nancy could not have been the daughter of Elijah Cornwell of Monroe County, Virginia. Elijah was murdered in 1804, 4 years before this Nancy Cornwell said she was born.

I then looked for Nancy Judd in Appanoose County, Iowa. First I looked in findagrave. She's there and buried in Henry County in 1900. Since the 1890 census is a fragment I went directly to the 1880 census and there is Nancy Judd, in Appanoose County, Iowa. According to the 1880 census this Nancy Cornwell (maiden name from findagrave) Judd was born in 1804 which is about right, but it also says she was born in North Carolina. If true, this Nancy Judd isn't Elihah Cornwell's daughter, either.

According to Katherine Swope's will, her daughter Ruthy married a Baker and lived in Kentuky in 1822. Has anybody been able to trace Ruthy Swope Cornwell Baker between 1804 and 1822? Does anybody have any idea what became of Elijah and Ruth's daughter, Betsy?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions