Search for content in message boards

Alexander WOODS - Warren County Ohio pioneer

Alexander WOODS - Warren County Ohio pioneer

dave703_1 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2013 11:05PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: WOODS
Alexander WOODS (1768-1848) appears to have come from Northern Ireland around 1790. He was a wheelwright by trade, a maker of wagon wheels. On 2 Jan 1794 he married Mary / Polly ROBINSON at the Old Hanover Church in East Hanover Dauphin / Lebanon County Pennsylvania. In 1796, they traveled towards Ohio, with Polly giving birth to oldest son John WOODS (1794-1855 who became a politician) and next son Doctor Samuel WOODS (1796-1856) in Maysville, Kentucky on the Ohio River. By 1798, they settled in the area that became Warren County.

Alexander is listed in 1800 as being in "territory North West of Ohio River". In 1810 he is listed in Turtle Creek Township then 1830 and 1840 in Springboro. It appears his religion was the Associated Reformed Church, which became the United Presbyterian Church.

The remainder of the Woods children that lived to be adults were born in Warren County; Jane Woods (1798-1862); James Woods (1800-1851); Alexander Woods (Jr or III) (1802-1858); Mary Woods (1803-1875); William Cunningham Woods (1806-1836); Rebecca Woods (1810-1866). A family genealogist, Roy Cleo Woods documented this family in a book published in 1936. In the book, Alexander Woods is cited as passing away on 9 Jan 1848 near Springboro, Warren County.

THE QUESTIONS I HAVE are the obvious... where was he born? ... where did he die? ... where exactly was his farm? ... where is he buried?

Does anyone know if there is a pioneer cemetery in the county? Are the records to further detail this family while in Warren County?

I thank you for reading this far and appreciate your input.

Dave Schubert

Re: Alexander WOODS - Warren County Ohio pioneer

ATrelvik284 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Aug 2013 11:33PM GMT
Surnames: Woods
It appears that he died in Warren County.
His farm was located in Sec 21, Twp 2E Range 5N between the Miamias. See 1867 map of the section at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohwarren/maps/1867franklin...
The east west road running through the center of the section is now PennyRoyal Road and was the southern boundary of his farm.

See his early Deed Records at
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohwarren/Deeds/woods_alexa...

See Chancery Court Partition suit at
http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ohwarren/Court/woods_alexa...

I looked at Warren County burial records at the Gen. Soc. and see no listing for Alexander Woods. He farm crossed the border into Montgomery County

dave703a (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2013 4:11AM GMT
Surnames: WOODS
Arne,

Your efforts researching Alexander Woods are appreciated beyond words. I hope to come to the area within a year or two to learn more about his life there and hopefully locate his grave.

By the way, I am quite certain the seller of the land to Alexander was his brother-in-law, John Snoddy Robinson.

Dave

ATrelvik284 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Aug 2013 11:40AM GMT
I believe the entire section was patented to John Robinson by President Madison a few years before in a cash entry sale. The image links for the chancery court papers should now work properly

dave703a (View posts)
Posted: 4 Oct 2013 2:00AM GMT
Surnames: WOODS ROBINSON SNODDY
Thank you for that message. John Robinson (John Snoddy Robinson B:12 Oct 1766 in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania, USA D: 23 Mar 1843 in Springboro, Warren, Ohio, USA ) was Alexander's brother-in-law. That would make sense. Thanks again!
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions