Search for content in message boards

John Bradford (1798 - aft. 1860)

John Bradford (1798 - aft. 1860)

David Cann (View posts)
Posted: 17 May 2006 5:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bradford, Blades, Higgs, Bickerton
Following is one of my personal MAJOR brick walls. John Bradford was my 3g-grandfather, that much I am sure of, but I have no information on any siblings or parents for him and would be eternally grateful if anyone can lead me to his parents. According to family stories by my g-grandmother (his granddaughter) we are directly descended from Gov. Bradford of the Mayflower, but I can find not one fragment of information on his parents so likewise can neither prove nor disprove what my g-grandmother told us.

I realized that EVERYONE with Bradfords in their lineage thinks they are descended from William Bradford, and I am no different, but even if it proves we are not descended from him I would still like to find any connection to this John Bradford's ancestors. He HAD TO have some parents somewhere. I welcome any help or thoughts on the subject from anyone. Much of my information is rather sketchy, so even if you know of something that is anywhere close I will be grateful for any and all leads after ten years of searching. :~(

David

1. John Bradford was born on 25 Jul 1798 in Tennessee. John listed Tennessee as his birthplace in both the 1850 and 1860 Federal Census returns. However, Bradford Family Reunion documents mention two different other locations: an arm of land off Chesapeake Bay, possibly in Maryland or Virginia, or Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. He owned $1,000.00 worth of real estate in 1850 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. He lived in Columbus Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana in 1860. By 1860, John was apparently widowed and retired, as he was found living with his son Jonathan and daughter Sarah. He died after 1860.

John Bradford and Sarah Blades were married on 20 Jan 1817 in Franklin County, Indiana. The ceremony was performed by a Rev. John Blades, a Baptist minister serving Franklin, Rush, and Bartholomew Counties, and thought to be Sarah's uncle. They appeared in the census in 1840 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. Sarah Blades (daughter of Isaac Blades and Sarah Higgs) was born on 27 Jun 1800/1 in South Carolina. She is thought to have been born in Abbeville County, but this is undocumented. She died before 1860 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. She was buried before 1860 in Section (now Harmony) Cemetery, Bartholomew County, Indiana. One source states her gravesite has no marker. John Bradford and Sarah Blades had the following children:

2 i. Isaac Bradford, born on 19 Sep 1827, Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana; married Sarah Jane Bickerton, on 18 May 1848, Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana; died on 30 Nov 1908.
ii. Harvey Bradford was born on 16 Nov 1828 in Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana. He appeared in the census in 1840 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. He died on 21 May 1900. He was buried after 21 May 1900 in Sand Creek Friends Cemetery, Bartholomew County, Indiana.
3 iii. Emaline Mary (Emily) Bradford, born on 18 Dec 1830, Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana; married John Carney, on 10 Jan 1850.
iv. John Herod Bradford was born on 23 Apr 1832 in Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana. He appeared in the census in 1840 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. He appeared in the census in 1860 in Columbus Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana. He is shown on the census as living with his brother Isaac and his family. In 1860 he was a carpenter. He lived in Elizabethtown, Bartholomew County, Indiana in 1870. He politically a Republican and stated his faith simply as a "Christian" about 1874 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. He died on 25 Jan 1904. He was buried after 25 Jan 1904 in Springer Cemetery, Bartholomew County, Indiana.
v. Sarah Ann Bradford was born on 19 Apr 1833 in Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana. She appeared in the census in 1840 in Bartholomew County, Indiana. She died on 12 Nov 1900.
4 vi. Jonathan William Bradford, born on 1 Jan 1838, Sand Creek Township, Bartholomew County, Indiana; married [name unknown]; died on 16 Jun 1903.

Re: John Bradford (1798 - aft. 1860)

Jenkins5286 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2006 4:49PM GMT
Surnames: Bradford, Blades and Higgs
Hi! I too decend from John Bradford and Sarah Blades Bradford. I don't know if I have ever e-mailed you or not in the past. I may have some info that you don't have. I live in Bartholomew County Indiana. If you are interested in comparing notes, e-mail me at cjgennut@yahoo.com and I will see if I can fill in info for you. I have worked on genealogy for 40 years. My ansestor is Sarah Caroline Bradford daughter of Harvey Bradford. Thanks, Carol Guinn Jenkins

David Cann (View posts)
Posted: 27 Dec 2006 8:51PM GMT
Surnames: Bradford
Carol - Per your request, I have just sent you a private response and have enclosed a copy of an Individual Summary on our common ancestor. I am very interested in hearing from you and perhaps exchanging information. This John Bradford is a MAJOR and very LONG STANDING brick wall to me, and I am very interested in anything you might have on his parents and siblings.

David

Jenkins5286 (View posts)
Posted: 29 Dec 2006 2:22AM GMT
Surnames: Bradford, Blades, Russell and Smith
Hi David, I have that John Bradford was born in 1798 in Tennessee. From a granddaughter of John Bradford named Stella Bradford I received these hints. He was relation to a family by the name of Russell and also a family by the name of Smith. He had a brother that was killed by a falling tree named Henry. The family originally were in Maryland and migrated to Mechlinburg? North Carolina and then into Tennesee and thru Kentucky into Indiana. Some relatives lived in Switzerland County Indiana. Using these hints I have found a Mary Ann Bradford from Grainger County Tennessee who married there about 1800 or shortly after and moved to Franklin County Indiana. She married a Russell and he died shortly after. She had one son by him and another on the way when she made the trip to Indiana. Later she married a Mr. Gant. There are Gants burried in the cemetery where John and Sarah Blades Bradford are burried. A Benjamin Bradford was either a witness or signed for her to marry the Russell. In Bartholomew County Indiana there was a David Bradford and wife Mary very early. They moved to Jennings County Indiana. When David Bradford died it mentions one son named David who was a minor. But, David Sr or Jr. owned land close to where my father was raised on the "Old Bradford Place". Also early in Bartholomew County was a Elias Bradford who married a Senia Deweese. I don't know if he is a brother or not.
I have dates etc, but just trying to get you an answer right now and will fill in later. We still have not had our Christmas family party. It is tomorrow night. After that I can dig up the dates. I tend to think that our John's father was John Bradford and wife Elizabeth Mann, but have not found the proof. Where the Smith family comes in at I still don't know, but was told by Stella Bradford that our John was raised by a family named Smith. When searching in Switzerland County Indiana found a family of Bradfords that had connections to the Smith family there. Stella had mentioned Switzerland County Indiana.
So, I have not cracked thru on this brick wall either, but seem to be skirting around the answer. Let me know what you think and if you can suggest any place for me to look around here. I live about 5 miles from the old Bradford Home Place and about 7 miles from where John and Sarah Blades are burried. Do you have on back on the Blades family? If not, I can fill you in on what I have. Hope to hear form you. Your distant cousin, Carol
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions