Search for content in message boards

J. THOMAS PHILLIPS

J. THOMAS PHILLIPS

DENNISPHILLIPS81 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Mar 2001 8:18PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 10 Mar 2011 12:20PM GMT
Surnames: Phillips
I NEED SOME INFORMATION ABOUT ABOUT J. THOMAS PHILLIPS WHO WAS MARRIED TO HANNAH WEATHINGTON. HE WAS BORN ABOUT 1760 IN NORTH CAROLINA AND WAS A SOLDIER AT KINGS MOUNTAIN, NORTH CAROLINA....

WHO WAS HIS FATHER ?
WHERE IS HE BURIED AT? ANYTHING ELSE ABOUT HIS FOREFATHERS WOULD BE APPRECIATED?

DENNIS PHILLIPS
GRANITEVILLE, S.C.

Re: J. THOMAS PHILLIPS

jjones5327 (View posts)
Posted: 22 Jun 2002 4:59AM GMT
Thomas Phillips was born around 1762 in Lenior Co, NC, he was the son of Thomas Phillips III b. abt. 1730 and d. Jan. 29, 1782. His mother was Ann Gaskins. They were married March 1, 1758, in Craven Co. NC.

Children of Thomas Phillips and Ann Gaskins were:
James Phillips b. Aug. 14, 1759
Thomas Phillips abt. 1762 d. Franklin Co. Ga.
Richard Phillips b. 1765
Nicey Phillips b. 1764
Charity Phillips b. 1767
David Phillips b. 1769
Kerizah Phillips b. 1771
John Phillips b. 1773
Peter Phillips b. 1775

Notes: Thomas and Hannah moved to Franklin Co. Ga. in 1803 with their children Cleverly, Rachel, Dennis, Zelpha, and Wiley C. They had two other children after they arrived here. They were Dewrant and Kissa. Thomas Phillips died Dec. 16, 1814 in Franklin Co. Ga. After his death Hannah applied for a pension as Thomas was a RS, she was accompained by two of her sons, and it was said in the report that I have she was a frail woman, but made her X and was witnessed by her sons. She testified that her father Cleverly Weathington was a good friend to her husband and many knew him well as a good and faithful soilder. She was granted the widows pension. Thomas and Hannah are both buried at Franklin Springs, Ga. on the hill behind Emmanuel College, Franklin Springs, Ga. Thomas and Hannah were married April 1, 1785 in Lenoir Co. NC. by Rev. Abram Baker. Hannah was born abt. 1762 in NC. She died Dec. 26. 1854 in Franklin Co. Ga. Also of note is that Thomas was a Minister of the Gospel as was his Grandfather Thomas Phillips. Information above is from census records, marriage records, wills, cem. records, church records, and war records, and from family interviews. Hope this has been helpful. Judy

Martha7210 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2011 6:43AM GMT
Surnames: PHILLIPS
Judy,
Thank you so much for all the wonderful information in your post. I have information back to and including J. Thomas Phillips and family from Hannah's pension application and all I have agrees with what you have. So I am especially interested in your info back from J. Thomas. What I need along with the info are the proofs and/or sources if you would be so kind to share with me.

You report J. Thomas and Hannah are both buried on the hill behind Emmanuel College, Franklin Springs, Ga. In the early 2000's my mother and I made two trips to Franklin and Hart counties in Ga. The trips were wonderful, memorable and I shall never forget them. I'm pretty sure I remember where this college is located. Of course, at the time I did not know they were buried there but, at least, I now know that I was near where they were buried. Do you know if there is any kind of grave stone or marker? Is this at a cemetery?

I live in Cullman, Cullman County, Alabama
Again, thank you,
Martha

Martha7210 (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2011 6:52AM GMT
Hello Dennis,
This line is my direct line and I am interested in any info back past J. Thomas and Hannah Phillips.

Please keep me in mind if you have anything to share.

I live in Cullman, Cullman County, Alabama.

Thanks again,
Martha

NancyKiser (View posts)
Posted: 10 Mar 2011 7:42PM GMT
Two descendants of Thomas Phillips and Hannah Weathington have gotten DNA tested and their Y-DNA matches that of Phillips Family DNA Group 5. You can look at the pedigrees of Group 5 at this link:

http://www.phillipsdnaproject.com/ylineage/pedigrees-by-fami...

As far as I know, no one has been able to establish the parents of Thomas Phillips with any actual record evidence. Tom Hutchison, one of the co-administrators of the DNA project, has set up a website concerning early NC Phillips families. Here is a link to his page on the website about Thomas Phillips:

http://www.encphillips.com/phillips-by-county/2-craven-count...

Sincerely,
Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

Hutchy68 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Mar 2011 3:44PM GMT
Edited: 11 Mar 2011 3:45PM GMT
Hi Martha

I do want to correct this piece of information from Judy. There is no proof that Thomas Phillips who m. Ann Gaskins is the father of Thomas Phillips who m. Hannah Weatherington. This information has been incorrectly reported for so long, it is taken as correct.

Thomas who m. Ann Gaskins d. in the mid 1780's, from probate it appears he was probably related to the Phillips Line of DNA Family Group 2 out of Maryland.

Thomas, father of James, Thomas, Richard...etc. died in 1792, wife's name unknown. James(which is my line) and Thomas's brother John were named exec. of his Will. He never mentioned his wife by name, but she was still alive and he mentioned providing for her.

Thomas who m. Hannah is thought to have come to GA in the late 1790's or right about 1800.

James(my line) came to GA roughly about 1806/7 from what I can tell. Following his daughter, Naomi, with the rest of his children after his son-in-law a Fish fled NC with her. He was wanted for the death of a Bond orphan. Don't know the whole story, but this is again what I can piece together.

Finally, there is only circumtantial evidence that Thomas who m. Hannah W'ton was the younger brother of my James. We and a few others leave him there because it fits and so far evidence points that direction. DNA proves the relationship, but it may be 1st cousin, not brother.

You can email me through connect or you may go to the Early NC Phillips website and use the contact form. I won't post my email on the message board because of spam bots. I'll get right back to you....

Take care
Tom Hutchison

Martha7210 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2011 5:28AM GMT
Hello Nancy,

Thank you so much for all your good information. My line is J. Thomas and Hannah Phillips.

I'll check the two sites you gave me and I appreciate your sharing with me.

Martha

Martha7210 (View posts)
Posted: 12 Mar 2011 5:46AM GMT
Hello Tom,

Thank you so much for your reply and all your good information. My line is J. Thomas and Hannah Phillips. One of the first important and chock full of information documents I ever discovered at the Case Western Genealogy Library was Hannah's pension application. I was so excited back then 20 years ago and I have been researching ever since.

I appreciate your clarification and agree that proofs and sources are of the upmost importance in research.

I'll check out the web site you suggested and continue searching.

Thanks again,
Martha
Cullman, Alabama

TommyaBryant (View posts)
Posted: 5 Oct 2011 11:48PM GMT
I found the unmarked graves , on a hill behind Emmanuel College ,,,i want to see what you read to reach this conclution,,the land once was owned by the Phillips Family ,,did they call the Cemetery,, Phillips Family Cemetery ,,, they look very old ,,Please help me find more to convince the landowner of whom the Graves are.

TommyaBryant (View posts)
Posted: 7 Oct 2011 1:18AM GMT
Looking for more information on the where about of J Thomas phillips grave .
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions