Search for content in message boards

Old Cawthon Cemetery, Metcalfe Co, KY

Old Cawthon Cemetery, Metcalfe Co, KY

rdezell1 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Mar 2012 4:49PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Cawthon
I am the 3rd-great grandson of Martin Bird Cawthon (1800-1884). I believe he's buried in the Old Cawthon Cem. on/at Subtle Ridge in Metcalfe Co, KY. I haven't been able to find a location for this cemetery. Does anyone know how I can find it? Also, my family lore says Martin Bird was part Indian. Does anyone have any information on this?

Re: Old Cawthon Cemetery, Metcalfe Co, KY

1_conniejean56 (View posts)
Posted: 14 Aug 2012 10:23PM GMT
Surnames: jessee, phelps,compton, fields,
FROLM EDMONTON TAKE HIGHWAY 496 GO BETWEEN THE POST OFFICE AND SEWING FACTORY GROUND 2 CURVES OVER BIG HIL COME TO INTESSECTION OF 533 AND 496 BARE TO THE RIGHT FROM EDMONTON ABOUT 6-6 1/2 MILES TO CAWTHORN CEMETERY RED TO THE RIGTH. IF YOU CAN'T FIND IT. YOU CAN CONTACT AT THIS THE EMAIL ADDRESS. conniejean56@yahoo.com . in the subject box please put the Cawthorn CEmetery in it.
Were do you live at?

rdezell1 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Aug 2012 2:37PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Thank you so much for replying. I was there in May and a lady at the library in Edmonton found Old Cawthorn Road on a map, so I was able to find the cemetery. It was wonderful!! -- down in a little valley off Subtle Ridge (which I learned is pronounced sub-til, not suttle, like we normally do). So some or all of that valley was my ggg-grandfather's farm. What a thrill to stand there!

The pronunciation of 'Subtle' explains why my grandfather, who was born in Missouri after the family started heading west, always said 'sub-til' for the word 'subtle'. He also pronounced the 'r' in 'Cawthon', even though it had been dropped a generation or two earlier.

I live in Atlanta now, but am from northwest Arkansas. The Cawthons (no 'r' now) and Ezells (from Williamson Co, TN) ended up there together about 7 generations ago. Where do you live, and are you a cousin of mine?

Thanks again for answering my question.

conniephelps28 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2012 6:35PM GMT
Surnames: jessee, phelps,compton, fields,
Hi, My husband is Danny Phelps... He grew up on Sutble Ridge.He said that he knew John Cawthon and Owen Cawthron(his son).Far as I know we are not Kin. I live in Metcalfe Co.Ky. My parents are the late Harley and Magldine Gibson Phelps of Subtle Ky.
I glad that you found the cemetery.
Have a great week and weekend

Danny Phelps

potatoclan (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2012 7:03PM GMT
Does anyone know if a Henry G Scott born 1866 is buried in
this cemetery? He lived in that area until 1910 which was the last year I can find anything on him. His wife was
Hester Stephenson(Steverson) Scott.

I would like any info

E-mail is mp34223@aol.com

Re: Old Cawthon Cemetery, Metcalfe Co, KY (including directions)

rdezell1 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Sep 2012 7:12PM GMT
Classification: Cemetery
Surnames: Cawthorn, Cawthon, Garman, Scott
Thanks to an astute librarian in Edmonton, KY, I actually found this cemetery last May. It was a wonderful experience -- actually standing on ground that was my 3rd-great-grandfather's farm, and where he and his son are buried.

I wish I could give you more information about Scotts buried there, but I can't. The only other name I remember (because they also married into my family) was Garman. It's quite possible your Henry G Scott is there, but I can't confirm or refute.

If you ever have a chance to visit this cemetery, here are my notes about how I got there from Edmonton:

Go south from Cumberland Parkway into Edmonton. Go southeast from square on state 496 about 8-9 miles. Turn right onto Cawthorn Cem Rd (just past Phelps-Dunham Rd [right], Combs-Moss Rd [right], and Scott Ridge Rd [left]. Cemetery is at end of the gravel road, about 1 mile. Since Martin Bird is supposedly buried on the family farm, the valley where the cemetery is located, at least part of it, was probably the family farm. There are some Garmans buried there as well. (There is no name marker for Martin Bird.) State 496 runs along the top of the ridge (Subtle [the ‘b’ is not silent]). The tiny community of Subtle is just beyond the cemetery road. I was told there are lots of Garmans in the area.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions