William Thomas Counihan - per the 1900 Census, He was the youngest of 7 children born to Frank J. (born Sep. 1856 in CT) and Annie Counihan, who from 1887-1891 resided at 68 Roath in Norwich. His occupation was given as "pistol fitter." In 1900, they were shown on Pleasant St, near Oakridge, where most of the other Counihans lived. Also listed in the city directories for that time-frame was "Hannah, widow of John" - she was not listed in the 1891 directory, so probably died in 1890.
In the LDS FamilySearch, I found a John Counihan, son of Francis and Catherine (Sughrue) Counihan, Christened 1 Jan. 1834, Roman Catholic, Killarney, Kerry, Ireland, who I believe may be the half-brother of my g.g.grandfather, Daniel Counihan, son of Francis and Margaret (Sughrue) Counihan, Christened 9 Aug. 1831. A sponsor for one of Daniel's sons, born CT 1865, is given as "Hannah Counihan."
I also found a birth record for a Francis Counihan, son of Daniel and Mary (Naghlan) Counihan, Chr. 29 Jul, 1797, in Killarney, that seems to fit. Additionally, in the city directories, 1887-1891, is listed a "Catherine, widow of Francis" at 84 Boswell Ave. in Norwich. My hypothesis at this point is that Francis, the father, with his 2nd wife Catherine, and his sons, Daniel (and his wife, Catherine Connell, Chr. 5 Nov. 1835) and John, all born in Killarney, emigrated to Norwich at the same time, before 1856, when John's son, Frank J. [?Francis John?] was born in CT.
Ann Counihan (born 4 Aug 1869) may have been Frank's younger sister, and daughter of John and Hannah.
Per same sources, I've found that some of the info I previously posted here was incorrect. My g.g.grandparents, Daniel, [a stone mason, resided 29 Oakridge 1887-1891, prob. d. bef. 1900; (He did not remarry to Bridget Bray.)], and Catherine (Connell), [d. age 49, 10 Nov, 1884], Counihan had at least seven children:
1. John or "Jack", carpenter, b. May 1858 CT, who married ca. 1888 Clara, b. Feb 1864 NY, resided 29 Oakridge 1887-88, then 11 Main, Preston 1889-91; had at least 3 children: (a) Harold J., b. Jul 1888, (b) Clara C., b. Oct 1892, & (c) Laura H., b. Jul 1897.
2. Daniel, Jr., molder for foundry, b. Apr 1859 CT, who married ca. 1884 Anastasia, b. 1860 CT, resided 37 Oakridge 1887-89, 39 Baltic 1890, 46 Baltic 1891, 51 Oakridge 1900, & 55 Oakridge in 1910; had 9 children:
(a) William J., born Apr. 1885 CT, married Mary (Leahy), had four children:
(1) Louise, b. 1911, unmarried.
(2) William J. "Bud" Jr., b. 1914, Assistant Attorney General RI
(3) Ruth, married ____ Mooney
(4) Leta, married ____ Butler
(b) Daniel F. "Bud", born Jan 1887, "Betty Boop" cartoonist., wife's name unknown, had two children:
(1) Anita "Colby", b. 1914/15, d. 1992, Model, Actress.
(2) Francine, married ____Riordan
(c) James M., born Jan 1889, unmarried
(d) Anastasia "Blossom", born Oct 1891, married & divorced George Fournier, had three children:
(3) Wells, married Natalie ____
(e) Julia M., born Jan 1892, lived at 55 Oakridge.
(f) Helen M., born Jul 1894, married August McHugh
(g) George F., born Jan 1896
(h) Ruth M., born Jul 1898
(i) Raymond, born Jan 1900
3. Michael, born ca. 1861, ?married ____Fox of RI?
4. Frank D. [?Francis Daniel?], born ca. 1862/63, molder, resided 37 Oakridge 1887-91, not listed on 1900 census - my aunt said he was killed by a train ca. age 25.
5. James, born ca. 1863/64 - possibly drowned aged 2.
6. William, born 5 Nov 1865 CT, Chr. 12 Nov., sponsors: Martin Farrill and "Hannah Counihan", probably died young.
7. Mary Ann, born 6 Feb 1867 CT, Chr. 7 Feb., sponsors: "Michael Counihan" [?her older brother?] and Catherine Divine, married Norwich 8 Oct 1890 to Thomas Francis Carroll, born Apr. 1862 NY, Witnesses: Thomas F. Murray and Josephine Hurley. Tom died Jan 1927 NY, buried Norwich; Mary Ann died Aug 1948 MA, buried Norwich. They had one daughter, my grandmother:
(a) Gladys Catherine, born 16 Dec 1891 NY, married 1914 MA to Otis Swift Phillips, born 1889 Cataumet, MA, youngest son of Enos Burt Phillips of Taunton and Cambridge, MA, and his third wife, Martha Briggs (Swift) of Wareham, MA, oldest daughter of Alexander Swift and his wife, Betsey Sturtevant (Hamblin), both Mayflower descendents. They had 10 children (Phillips surname):
(1) Otis Swift, Jr., born 1915
(2) June Martha, born 1919, married Clifford Ellis
(3) Richard Carroll, born 21 Sep, 1921, married May 1948 to Barbara Elizabeth Twomey of Marion, MA, daughter of Thomas Francis Twomey of N. Billerica, MA and Jennie Holmes (Luce) of Marion, MA. They had five children, including me:
a) Jane Gladys, born 2 Aug 1949 Wareham, MA
(4) David Burt, born 1922/23
(5) John Stoddard, born 1924
(6) William Hamblin, born 1926
(7) Sheila Catherine, born 1928
(8) Marjorie Ann, born 1930
(9) Samuel Enos, born 1932
(10) Charlotte Elizabeth, born Jan 1934
Have to go now, but this should give everyone a few clues. Please let me know if this ties in with your own information - mine is, as always, a work in progress and subject to errors & revision.
You can reach me at <email@example.com
>. Thanks, Jane.