Search for content in message boards

ancestors of Colemore Harrison of Jackson Co, Ga & Md.

ancestors of Colemore Harrison of Jackson Co, Ga & Md.

Peter Harrison (View posts)
Posted: 18 May 2002 4:00AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Harrison
I am looking for the ancestors of Colemore Harrison of Jackson Co, Ga. (1779-1857). His father was Joseph Harrison (? - 1831) from Maryland. Any leads or information is greatly appreciated. Peter Harrison, Ft. Pierce, FL. peterh18d@aol.com

JOSEPHUS HARRISON

Glenda Lohmann (View posts)
Posted: 19 Jul 2004 7:51PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 26 Nov 2006 8:39PM GMT
Surnames: HARRISON
I connect to this line through COLEMORE's brother, JOSEPHUS HARRISON, b: 1784 in Prince George County, MD. COLEMORE HARRISON was b: 1779 in Prince George County, MD and d: Feb 1857 in Jackson County, GA. He married FRANCES PHILLIPS on 30 Jan 1812 in Madison County, GA. I have no further information on her.
Colemore was the son of JOSEPH HARRISON, b: 1752 in MD, d: March 1831 in Jackson County, GA and RACHEL PERRY, b: abt. 1754 in MD and died in 1831 in Jackson County, GA. Rachel was a daughter of JOHN PERRY and PRISCILLA RAY.
JOSEPH HARRISON left a will in Jackson County,GA., found in Will Book A, 1803-1860. In the will, he names his children. Son, HEZEKIAH, seemed to have provoked the ire of his father, since he fathered a child out of wedlock with REBECCA KINNINGHAM. Hezekiah did acknowledge the child. It's not known if he eventually married Miss Kinningham. Some researchers believe that he did. Hezekiah's brother, OVERTON HARRISON, b: 1794 at St. John's Parish, Prince George County, MD, married on 19 Feb 1821 in Jackson County, GA, MARY KINNINGHAM. She is most likely a sister to Rebecca Kinningham. Other siblings of Colemore Harrison are: MUKY HARRISON (a sister), who married JOHN HOLLAND; TILMAN HARRISON (did not marry, as far as I know); JASON HARRISON, who married MARY Unknown; and SUSAN HARRISON, of whom I know nothing about.
Son of Joseph and Rachel Perry Harrison, and brother to your Colemore, JOSEPHUS, married SALLY MOON. After Sally's death, he married 2nd, LYDIA M. HARRISON. Josephus eventually wound up living in Attala Co., MS with his son, HEZEKIAH HARRISON (named for Hezekiah, brother of Josephus and Colemore), and his wife, SERAH D.

A group of families from the Greene County, GA, Jackson County, GA, and adjoining counties, migrated together in a caravan to Attala County, MS, to the Wells Township, which became known as the Georgia Settlement.
Some of the other names who migrated there in the group from GA were: HINES, BRIDGES, KIMBROUGH, CLARK, RILEY, BRUCE, LITTLETON, WASSON, WOODWARD, BEACH, COPELAND, CROSSLEY, SARAH SMITH, widow of REUBEN SMITH, and her five children, MATHIS, LUCAS, TOLER, WHATLEY, THOMPSON, MARTIN, and CROW.
One of the first to arrive there was E.M. CROSSLEY, who migrated from Greene County, GA prior to 1840. Others began arriving in the fall and winter of 1846-47. The HARRISON clan migrated later, around 1859-1860. The section where these families settled became known as "Little Georgia". HEZEKIAH HARRISON (son of JOSEPHUS) presented his credentials to the Attala County Court in 1860.

There were two different Harrison lines in the same area of GA about the same time, and they eventully merged through marriages of at least one offspring.

MK Harrison has information on both these lines at her website:
http://www.mkharrison.com
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions