Search for content in message boards

Charles Stenault Friis

Charles Stenault Friis

winking151 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2010 10:03PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Friis, Grotheer, Hetzer, King
Does anyone have any history on the father of Charles Stenault Friis. He was married to Rosa Burke who was born in Australia. I understand that his full name may be Charles Frederick Christian Stenault Friis and that there may a connection to King Frederick VI. I am trying to verify who his mother was. We have some documents from family members who are no longer living that suggest that he was born of a union between the King and a lady-in-waiting to Queen Sophie and that he may have been born at Friisenborg Slot. If anyone has any information that would either comfirm this or refute this, it would be most welcome.

Re: Charles Stenault Friis

homesbypj (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2012 4:10AM GMT
Surnames: Grotheer, Friis, Frijs,
Hi there. He was my great grandfather and the documents I had I gave to my grandfather Charles Stenault Grotheer. He subsequently gave them to another family member, although I never found out who. I have a portrait of him and a photograph of his ship; what have you discovered about his father? I, too heard his Father was King Frederick and his mother was a lady in waiting!
I am interested in speaking with you.
Warm Wishes, PJ Crockett
(707)953-8888 cell

winking151 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2012 9:05PM GMT
So you are a Grotheer descendant also. Wonderful. I contacted a Friis in California who lives in El Cerrito who claims to have documentation; however, she has been unable to provide me with any copies even though I have pestered her for over two years now. Unfortunately, I do not have any proof of the lineage outside a calling card that contains the Frijs Crest and I am not sure how my grandmother (Florence Grotheer) came by it but supposedly that is our family crest. I do not have a protrait of him but do have a picture of the JD Spreckles Ship...is this the ship in question? I would be happy to share what information I do have. Look for KJKHetzer Family on Ancestry.

birdofthenorth (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2013 5:13PM GMT
Edited: 7 Jun 2013 4:40AM GMT
I am a great-grandchild Charles Stenault Friis and have been told by my father and grandfather that his father was King Frederick VI of Denmark. I saw on a tree on ancestry.com that Frederika Dannemand was his mother. However, I have seen lots of trees that have incorrect information. A Wikipedia entry on King Frederick VI does not list Charles Stenault Friis as a child of the king and his mistress Fredeikke Dannemand. Of course, that could be an omission on the part of the writer.

winking151 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2013 2:56PM GMT
Katherine Friis Harker is your great grandmother. Is your line through the Harker line? Would you have any more information? I also have doubted entries that are made to the family tree; however, Aunt Kate did go to Denmark and I believe was able to confirm a birth certificate that was later lost. My family lore only poses that although the child was acknowledged by the King, he was still a bastard and therefore baptized under the Lady-in-waiting's family. I think we are related to the landowners...but have not yet found a direct connection. Any information that you would have would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: 19 Jun 2013 4:47AM GMT
Edited: 19 Jun 2013 4:49AM GMT
Hello Clinton,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, that was an error on my part. Charles Stenault Friis is my great-great grandfather.

I have not been able to come up with any information beyond what you have about the Harkers.

I will let you know if I find out anything.

Sincerely, Dana Olson

winking151 (View posts)
Posted: 23 Jul 2013 2:13PM GMT
PJ, I am hoping that you are still on-line. Can you tell me more about your family? You indicated that there was proof at one time...I would love to know more if you have it. I am getting ready to contact the Danish embassy to see if they can help; however, the last time I did that, they were disbelieving...Any information that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Karen King
864-578-8559
winking@bellsouth.net

Posted: 11 Aug 2013 12:01PM GMT
Hello Everyone,

I just created a group on Facebook called "Descendants of Charles Stenalt Friis"

You are all welcome to join. It is a closed group so only members will see content. Indicate that you want to join, and I will add you.

Sincerely, Dana Olson

Posted: 2 Jan 2014 2:52PM GMT
Here is a heroic story about Charles Stenault Friis. If he had not been successful, none of us would be here.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast?a=d&...
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions