Search for content in message boards

Bowinkelmann

Bowinkelmann

Peter Wieland (View posts)
Posted: 17 Sep 2006 2:42PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bowinkelmann, Winkelmann
My 2x great grandfather is Wilhelm Bowinkelmann. He first shows on the English BMD index as marrying in Q4 1860. He next appears on the 1861 census as born in Germany, and on the 1881 census his birthplace is listed as Westphalia, Germany.

I have had a good look around and cannot find much reference to the Bowinkelmann name, but I have noticed a fair number of Winkelmann in Westphalia.

Does anyone know if these names are connected, and if so what is the significance of the 'Bo' at the start?

Regards

Peter

Re: Bowinkelmann

cwitze (View posts)
Posted: 18 Sep 2006 4:38PM GMT
If those are English censuses, one wild guess would be Bo meant "born as". You might post on the Winkelmann RootsWeb message board.

Re: Bowinkelmann

KarenRowland27 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Aug 2013 6:58PM GMT
Surnames: BOWINKELMANN, STRAUCH, BUTTERWEGE, WIEGARD
Do you know if Wilhelm's mother is Maria Agnes Butterwege? I am researchig my husband's Strauch/Bowinkelmann line and while I haven't found a direct link there might be a possible link. Jacob Strauch mentions as a reference his brother-in-law Wilhelm Bowinkelmann. Jacob's wife, Theresa Bowinkelmann, was the dau/o Johann Heinrich Bowinkelmann & Theresa Voss. Johann Heinrich - born ~ 1832 - was the son/o Peter Bowinkelmann and Agnes Butterwege, who were married in 1818. Wasn't one of William's daughters named Agnes?
There just might be a link somewhere.
Karen
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions