Search for content in message boards

Johnston - Congenital absence of the middle phalanges

Johnston - Congenital absence of the middle phalanges

NovaClifton (View posts)
Posted: 12 Feb 2004 9:30PM GMT
Classification: Query
Edited: 14 Feb 2004 4:42PM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Hodges, Frazer
I am researching a hereditery trait that occurs in my family.
I want to know of any other ascendents or descendents who may have this. Please contact me if you have any knowledge of this. frasherfraziergenealogy@hotmail.com

Medical terms:
1. Congenital absence of the middle phalanges of either the fingers and toes or both the finger and toes
2. Congential shortening of the tendon of the fingers and toes or both the fingers and toes
3. a form of dwarfism (this is disputed at this time as they find no correlation between dwarfism and this, as dwarfs don't usually have any absence of any joint, just the stubbiness that shows in some of those with this congenital hereditery)
Dx: Does not prevent persons from having normal life as they learn to play the piano, type, and work with their hands.

In my mother's Hodges family:

This apparently started with Sophia Ann Johnston's marriage into the Hodges family, to Andrew Crockett Hodges. There are supposedly 3-4 versions of this. It is said that it came from the Irish side of Sophia Ann Johnston side of the family, which apparently goes back about 5-6 generations to an ancestor who was born in Ireland.

These are the descriptions of the joints:

1. Shortened tendon of the first joint of the forefinger and some fingers with the absence of the middle joint

2. Worse case, absence of middlejoint, very short, stubby with overlay of skin on fingers and toes

3. Short, stubby

4. Looks almost normal, shortened tendon of the first joint of forefingers

My Johnston family:

WILLIAM2 JOHNSTON (RICHARD1) was born December 19, 1697 in Annan, Dumfries, Scotland, and died 1778 in Port Royal, Caroline County, Virginia. He married (1) ANN MARY CHEW October 12, 1723 in Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, Virginia, daughter of LARKIN CHEW and HANNAH ROY. She was born 1703 in Caroline County, Virginia, and died November 11, 1742 in Port Royal, Caroline County, Virginia. He married (2) ELIZABETH WYATT July 06, 1748. She was born Abt. 1705 in Gloucester County, Virginia.

Notes for WILLIAM JOHNSTON:
Came to Virginia in 1722. William was a member of the House of Burgess in Virginia from 1736-1740.

William Johnston, 1697-1778, a native of Scotland, is said to have immigrated to Virginia and married Ann Chew, daughter of Larkin and Hannah Roy Chew. According to researcher Elbert F. Johnston in his 1964 "Johnston of Caroline,"

More About WILLIAM JOHNSTON:
Date born: December 19, 1697, Annan, Dumfries, Scotland
Date died: 1778, Port Royal, Caroline County, Virginia

More About ANN MARY CHEW:
Date born: 1703, Caroline County, Virginia
Date died: November 11, 1742, Port Royal, Caroline County, Virginia

Marriage Notes for WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ANN CHEW:
Spotsylvania County Virginia (Marriage Bond Is Dated Oct 1723)

More About WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ANN CHEW:
Marriage: October 12, 1723, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, Virginia

More About ELIZABETH WYATT:
Date born : Abt. 1705, Gloucester County, Virginia

More About WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ELIZABETH WYATT:
Marriage: July 06, 1748

Children of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ANN CHEW are:
i. JOSEPH3 JOHNSTON, b. 1725, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

ii. LARKIN CHEW JOHNSTON, b. May 01, 1727, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. March 16, 1816, Probably Elbert, Jasper County, Georgia.

Notes for LARKIN CHEW JOHNSTON:
The following notes are chiefly from the Spotsylvania records, but there are some from other sources:
"I have very little information in regard to my grandfather Richard Johnston. I know he was in the Revolution for I have a letter from General Lafayette to my father in which he writes of my grandfather as his fellow soldier. I had an uncle Larkin Chew Johnston. I have always heard we were related to the Ches. E. P. Johnston, Washington, D.C. 1910"

iii. ROBERT JOHNSTON, b. 1728.

iv. JUDITH JOHNSTON, b. 1729, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. 1793.

v. JOHN JOHNSTON, b. 1732, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

Notes for JOHN JOHNSTON:
Never married.

vi. BENJAMIN JOHNSTON, b. 1734, Port Royal, Caroline County, Virginia; d. 1792, Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky.

Notes for BENJAMIN JOHNSTON:
Was a judge and a town clerk in Fredericksburg, Virginia, in 1774. He was a Revolutionary War veteran, and he also rode and warned General Campbell of a Cherokee Indian attack in April of 1780. Benjamin and Dorothy both died in Falls of the Ohio (Louisville) Kentucky. This information was mainly gathered through Virginia and Kentucky history books, Mormon records, and through family papers.

vii. JAMES JOHNSTON, b. 1736, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. 1820.

viii. WILLIAM JOHNSTON II, b. 1738.

ix. WILLIAM JOHNSTON, JR., b. 1738.

x. HANNAH JOHNSTON, b. 1739, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. Caroline County, Virginia.

Notes for HANNAH JOHNSTON:
Hannah's will was probated Caroline County, Virginia, February 1783. Order Book 1781-1785, page 212. Caroline County Records.

3. xi. RICHARD JOHNSTON, b. 1740, Caroline County, Virginia; d. March 02, 1791, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

xii. ELIZABETH JOHNSTON, b. 1742, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

Children of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ELIZABETH WYATT are:
xiii. PHILLIP3 JOHNSTON, b. 1757.

xiv. CATHERINE JOHNSTON, b. 1758.

Generation No. 3

3. RICHARD3 JOHNSTON (WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born 1740 in Caroline County, Virginia, and died March 02, 1791 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. He married (1) DOROTHY WALLER 1763, daughter of WILLIAM WALLER and ANN STANARD. She was born September 11, 1743 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia, and died July 26, 1770 in Spotsylvania County, Virginia. He married (2) ANN SMITH October 01, 1772 in Mr. Cluveraes Duke's In Louisa County, Virginia.

Notes for RICHARD JOHNSTON:
From Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, page 244 "I have very little information in regard to my grandfather Richard Johnston. I know he was in the Revolution for I have a letter from General Lafayette to my father in which he writes of my grandfather as his fellow soldier. I had an uncle Larkin Chew Johnston. I have always heard we were related to the Chews. E.P. Johnston, Washington, D.C. 1910."

Notes for DOROTHY WALLER:
Dorothy was a widow when Richard married her. (Virginia Historical Magazine July 1930) VMHB, vol. 38, p. 245 ("From an old Johnston Family Bible record:") "Dorothy Johnston wife of Richard Johnston died 26th July, 1770, and was buried in the Waller Family Burying ground about 7 months gone with her 4th child who died with her. Dorothy Johnston obit. July 1770 ac. 26 years, 10 months and 15 days." That she was buried in the Waller burying ground is further indication that she was a Waller, not a Beverly. Another Virginia Magazine article, "The Wallers of Endfield, King William County, Virginia," Vol. 59, No. 3 (July, 1951), p. 351, says that William Waller married June 21, 1738, Mrs. Ann (Stanard) Beverly and that their daughter, Dorothy Waller, married Richard Johnston. Ann Stanard Beverly Waller was the widow of Robert Beverly, Esq., and one of her daughters, Dorothy's sister, Ann, married John Beverly Roy. These are the only references to Waller-Beverly connections in this article, which covers the genealogy of the first three generations of Wallers in Virginia. The author of the article cites the will of William Waller and some documents concerning the disposition of his slaves, after his death, as the source of the names of his children.

More About DOROTHY WALLER:
Burial: Waller Family Burying Yard, Spotsylvania County, Virginia

More About RICHARD JOHNSTON and DOROTHY WALLER:
Marriage: 1763

Marriage Notes for RICHARD JOHNSTON and ANN SMITH:
At Mr. Cluveraes Duke's in Louisa by the Rev. Mr. Robert Barrett. (Virginia History Magazine July 1930)

More About RICHARD JOHNSTON and ANN SMITH:
Marriage: October 01, 1772, Mr Cluveraes Duke's In Louisa County, Virginia

Children of RICHARD JOHNSTON and DOROTHY WALLER are:
i. JAMES4 JOHNSTON.
4. ii. WILLIAM WALLER JOHNSTON, b. October 28, 1765, Caroline County, Virginia; d. Aft. April 14, 1823, Green County, Kentucky.
iii. ANN JOHNSTON, b. May 03, 1766, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. September 02, 1767, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

Notes for ANN JOHNSTON:
(Virginia Historical Magazine July 1930) VMHB, p. 244, "From an old Johnston Bible record:"
Ann Johnston the first daughter and second child of Richard and Dorothy Johnston was born in Spotsylvania County, 3rd May 1766 and was baptized by Rev. Mr. Tickle a travelling minister. Surities were Benjamin Johnston and Dorothy his wife, John Benger and Betty his wife and Ann Johnston. She died Sept 2, 1767 and was buried in the Waller Family Burying Yard, Spotsylvania.

More About ANN JOHNSTON:
Burial: Waller Family Burying Yard, Spotsylvania County, Virginia
Christening: By Rev, Tickle-A Travelling Minister

iv. RICHARD WALLER JOHNSTON, b. April 18, 1768, Culpeper County, Virginia; d. March 02, 1791, Spotsylvania County, Virginia.

Notes for RICHARD WALLER JOHNSTON:
(Virginia Historical Magazine July 1930)VMHB, p. 244: ("From an old Johnston Family Bible Record:")
Richard Waller Johnston, 3rd child and second son of Richard and Dorothy Johnston, was born Culpeper C. H. 18th April, 1768. Babitzed by Rev. John Thompson; surities; Mr. French Strother and Lucy his wife, Mr. Hugh Cruder and Fanny his wife and Mr. Joel Williams.

From Crozier, Virginia County Records, citing guardian's bonds in Spotsylvania Will Book E, p. 80: Joseph Brock posted 2000 pounds as guardian to Richard Johnston, orphan of Richard Johnston, Feb 5, 1788.
Crozier, Virginia County Records, p. 1086): "Will Book E 1772-1798, p. 46: Johnston, Richard W., Spotsylvania County, d. (date of will) March 2, 1791, Executors Bond dated Sept 6, 1791. Wit. William Waller, M.D., William Coleman, Judith Roy. Ex. My relation Hugh Roy. Leg. my aunt Judith Farish; Miss Jiney Carter, daughter of William Carter; my cousin Judith Roy."

More About RICHARD WALLER JOHNSTON:
Christening: Rev John Thompson

Children of RICHARD JOHNSTON and ANN SMITH are:
v. BETSY4 JOHNSTON, b. August 18, 1773, Caroline County, Virginia; d. Bef. 1780, Caroline County, Virginia.

Notes for BETSY JOHNSTON:
(Virginia Historical Magazine July 1930) Baptized the 25th day of January, 1774 by the Rev. Archi'd. Dick, Rector of St. Margarett's Parish; surities were Mr. Humphrey Edmundson, Mrs. Thilman wife of John Thilman, Miss Fanny Thilman their daughter and myself; she departed this life on (illegible) 177x and was buried in the Burying Yard at Caroline Court House".

More About BETSY JOHNSTON:
Baptism: January 25, 1774
Burial: Burying Yard At Court House, Caroline County, Virgina
Christening: January 25, 1774, Rector of St. Margaretts Parish

vi. ANN JOHNSTON, b. February 05, 1775, Caroline County, Virginia.

Generation No. 4

4. WILLIAM WALLER4 JOHNSTON (RICHARD3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born October 28, 1765 in Caroline County, Virginia, and died Aft. April 14, 1823 in Green County, Kentucky. He married ANN BUCKNER February 02, 1785 in Caroline County, Virginia, daughter of WILLIAM BUCKNER and MARY MADISON. She was born January 18, 1770 in Caroline County, Virginia.

Notes for WILLIAM WALLER JOHNSTON:
William Waller Johnston's middle name
By Joe Johnston - Oct 9, 2000
Jane Mildred Johnston, Absalom's (Abbot's) youngest sister, married William Madison Belt, II. I found a record of that marriage at the Green County, Kentucky, courthouse and posted it somewhere on this site. Later, I contacted a researcher through a Belt site on GenForum (as I recall) who told me that a book about the Belt family gives Jane Mildred's parents as William Waller Johnston and Ann Buckner. About four months ago, I wrote to the book's author, Walter E. Belt, II., asking for the source of the middle name, "Waller." Walter finally replied last week with a photocopy of the entry about William Madison Belt in an Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri and I have copied the article into the History section of this site.
The article, though from a book called an "encyclopedia", has the general tone of an article from one of those "mug books" that were common in the nineteenth century and must, therefore, be taken with a grain of salt. The information must have come from Jane Mildred's children and who knows whether it was based on a written record, such as a family bible or purely from memory. Nevertheless, it does reinforce the circumstantial evidence we have tying Absalom's parents, William and Ann Johnston, to Richard Johnston and Dorothy Waller, Richard being the son of William Johnston and Ann Chew.
Some discrepancies: The encyclopedia article gives Jane Mildred's birth date as Nov. 27, 1812, and the VMHB article, "from an old Johnston Bible record," says she was born Nov. 27, 1809. Both appear to have come from people's memories, not from sources recorded shortly after the event and it would be easy for either or both years to be incorrect. The encyclopedia article says Jane Mildred was born in Fredericksburg, Virginia., but another article Walter Belt sent me, about her son, Marcus L. Belt, says she was born in Caroline County, Virginia. Caroline County is near Fredericksburg, which is in Spotsylvania County, but was the nearest town of any size to Caroline County at the time.
I don't know about the encyclopedia article's claim of direct lineal descent from "Sir William Waller, the English baron." Another VMHB article about the Wallers traces "our" Waller line to a John Waller (California. 1645-1723) of Newport Pagnell, Bucks, England, and says his ancestry is uncertain. That article carries a picture of Sir William Waller and says he was of the Groombridge, Kent, family. His picture makes him appear to be something of a supercilious ass and I wouldn't mind not being descended from him.

In The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, he is called William Johnston and no middle name is given. Middle name comes from WFT genealogy of his daughter, Jane Mildred Johnston. Likewise, the article doesn't name him as a child of Richard Johnston. The information in the "old Johnston Family Bible record" begins with "the first daughter and second child of Richard and Dorothy Johnston" indicating that the first child was a son but doesn't name that son. The Bible record moves directly from the children of Richard and Dorothy Johnston, the presumed parents of this William, to those of William, himself, and Ann Johnston. So, whether William Waller was the unnamed first son or not ( and he must be--the Bible record says Dorothy died while carrying her fourth child and the other two are named), he clearly is a member of the same family. Need more documentation on this.
In the 1820 U.S. Census (a typescript copy in the Green County, Kentucky Library),dwelling 651, appears a William Johnston whose family consists of a white male and female over 45, a male aged 16-25, a female aged 16-26, and a female 10-15. The childrens' ages are consistant with those of Absalom, Dorothy, and Jane. The occupation colume indicates one person engaged in manufacturing. The record shows three slaves.
The next dwelling is that of Francis Johnston, age 26-44, a female aged between 16-25, and a female under 10. Occupation is given as manufacturing.
William Waller Johnston's middle name

Notes for ANN BUCKNER:
Ann bought 100 acres for $275 from some Buckners in 1829, according to Green County Deed Books, and sold it, for the same price to Absalom Johson in 1732. Absalom johnston, of Grayson County, sold the same land to William O. Johnson for $300 in 1836.

More About WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ANN BUCKNER:
Marriage: February 02, 1785, Caroline County, Virginia

Children of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and ANN BUCKNER are:
i. RICHARD HORACE5 JOHNSTON, b. February 23, 1784.

ii. MARY MADISON JOHNSTON, b. January 18, 1786.

iii. WILLIAM BUCKNER JOHNSTON, b. May 16, 1791, Virginia.

iv. FRANCES WALKER JOHNSTON, b. April 03, 1792, Virginia.

v. GEORGE MADISON JOHNSTON, b. October 09, 1793, Virginia.

Notes for GEORGE MADISON JOHNSTON:
He came from Culpeper County, Virginia to Green County, Kentucky with his parents and his three older brothers, Francis. Absalom and Will. They arrived at some time in the first decade of the 1800s. Their motivation for the change is Unknown to us but we can speculate that they were influenced by their membership in the strong Baptist community which had already migrated to Kentucky from Culpeper to Green. and perhaps were attracted to Kentucky by the presence of the Johnston's relatives, the Will Buckners.
George and Sally Johnston bought 168 acres of land on Pitman Creek off the Old Greensburg Road. Part of this land, including the stone-walled family cemetery, is now owned by G.W. Henderson.
The Johnstons had 10 children, and a few months after the birth of the youngest child, George Edwards Johnston, Sally died at the age of 36. Her husband never remarried and the children were raised by the oldest sister, Harriet. In Taylor County records, George Madison Johnston is always identified as a farmer. On several occasions he was a member of the standing jury of the county court. In 1837 he is described as a patron of a general store in Campbellsville. In 1850 he was listed as the owner of one 13-year old slave, though later his father-in-law's will makes it evident that the slave was loaned by the Edwards family. The inventory recorded at the time of his death in 1869 includes a good horse, a feather bed, some notes indicating several hundred dollars due him, and information that he was renting his land to R.S. VanCleave. There is no inscription on the stones which mark his grave or that of his wife.

vi. ELIZABETH LOUISA MALDON JOHNSTON, b. January 17, 1796, Virginia.

5. vii. WILLIAM ORVILLE JOHNSTON, b. March 19, 1798; d. November 26, 1868, Bonnieville, Hart County, Kentucky.
viii. ORVILLE JOHNSTON, b. March 08, 1799, Virginia.

ix. ABSALOM HILL JOHNSTON, b. December 14, 1802, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. September 13, 1880, St. Paul, Neosho County, Kansas.

Notes for ABSALOM HILL JOHNSTON:
In her notes there is a mention of A. H. married a catholic girl in Grayson County. He gave the land for the first Catholic Church at ??? on the Nolin River. (some of the handwriting is hard to decifer).
There's much more in the notes, I'm sure that Hart County Historical Society would be glad to make copies of the Johnston file.
Their address is 109 Main St. P.O. Box 606, Mundordville, Kentucky. 42765.
Attn: Mary Willia Branstetter.
(from note to Norma Roberts from Ruth Lockwood) Absalom married the "catholic girl", Elizabeth Thomas, in Washington County, not Grayson County. I was interested to see that de donated the land for the St. Benedict's Church at Wax. Some of the Grayson county tax records show his 309 acres as being on Nolin River and some show the same land as being on "Barton's Run". The Run runs into the River jsut behind the present Church and cemetery so Absalom's land must have been right around there, possibly under the present lake, as Billye Higdon suggested a while back, which flooded the original Church and cemetery.

aka Abbott Hill Johnston or Abraham Hill Johnston.
1840 U. S. Census: 1 male 30-40; 1 female 30-40; 1 male 10-15 [William]; 1 female 10-15; 1 female 5-10; 2 males under 5 [Robert and Pius]. Where is Bennet? and who are the two young females? From Billye Higdon: "If poor Bennet were somehow mistaken for a girl, that would still leave an older sister unaccounted for. I wonder if she could be the Ann Elizabeth Johnson who married Samuel Pierce in the 1850s? William T. Johnston named his eldest daughter Ann Elizabeth--my g-grandmother--and according to some (I need to research this more) when he died, his widow Martha went to live with the Pierce family."
1850 U. S. Census, Grayson County, Kentucky, Schedule page # 34: Johnson, Abselom H. 48; Elizabeth 48; William 21; Bennet 19; George 16; Robert 14; Pius 13; James 8; Susan 5; John 2.
1870 U. S. Census, written p. 17, printed p. 197, Mission Twp., Neosho County, Kansas: dwelling # 137, Johnston, A. H., age 68, farmer, real estate owned-blank, personal estate owned-illegible, place of birth-Virginia. Elizabeth, 68, born Kentucky. James M., 27, invalid, born Kentucky. Susan, 25, Kentucky. John A., 22, farmer, Kentucky. Bennet A. 14, Kentucky. James A., 6, Illinois. Clarisa F. [?], 4, Illinois. [next dwelling, # 138, family 127, Johnston, Robert A., age 35, farmer, born Kentucky. The rest of the family is omitted.] I don't know who Bennet A., James A., and Clarisa F. are. One might expect they are grandchildren, children of a deceased child. William T. died in 1868 in Kentucky, I believe, but I don't think they are his children. Need to check 1860 Grayson and Hart County. census.
1875 Kansas State Census, Lincoln Twp., Neosho County: p. 14. A. J. [sic.; schedule 2 shows A. H.] Johnston, age 73, farmer, born in Vir., came to Kansas from Kentucky. Elizabeth, 73, wife, born Kentucky, from Kentucky. J. M., 34, farmer, Kentucky, Kentucky. J. A., 27, farmer, Kentucky, Kentucky.
E-mail from Billye L. Higdon, 11/8/1998 -- "I have some notes from the Grayson County Tax records . . . . Absalom Johnston was not listed for Grayson County. in 1834, but appears in 1836 (I seem to have skipped 1835). He is also listed 1839, 1841, 1844-- the other years I made notes of. So I would guess he moved from wherever to Grayson County about 1835. He settled on Nolin River (on a watercourse more particularly called Barton's Run-- where my Higdon ancestors also lived). There were other Johnsons or Johnstons in the county, but none seemed to live around him. He owned 309 acres and two slaves in the period I looked at (1836-1844). A note from the 1844 tax lists states that his total property was worth $1550, and that he had seven children between the ages of 5 and 16."
The Thomas Thomas Genealogy Report found that Absalom was baptized as an adult--several of his children were baptized earlier than he. The children were baptized at Holy Mary Church, Calvary, so maybe he was, too. This tends to confirm my suspicion that Absalom, not Elizabeth was the convert. I expect (for now, Sept. 1999) there's a connection between him and the Absalom Johnston in Nelson County, and the one in Augusta County, Virginia.
From Cemetery Inscriptions of Neosho County, Kansas, by Chanute Genealogical Society Chanute, Kansas (Page 93) shows Johnson, A. d. 13 Sep 1880 78yr Kentucky

Absolom was converted to Catholic religion after marriage to Elizabeth and after several of his children were born. Baptism of Absalom at the Holy Name of Mary Church in Calvary, Marion County, Kentucky states the following -- 1832 Decem. 25 Baptizata est Absolom Johnston adultus. Suscepit D. A. Deparcq.
Absalom appears in 1836 on Grayson County, Kentucky tax list. He settled on Nolin River( on a watercourse more particularly called Barton's Run-where Billye Higdons ancestors were also. He owned 309 acres and two slaves in the period of 1846-1844. 1844 tax lists states that his total property was worth $1550, and that he had seven children between the ages 5 and 16.
Green County, Kentucky tax books, Absalom first appears in 1827 (three previous years are missing)
1827- one white male over 21. 3 blacks over 16, a total of 8 blacks. 3 horses. Total assessed value $2200. No land shown in this or any of the other years.
1828- 5 blacks over 16, 9 total. 6 horses, one a stud with a $3 rate of covering. Total assessed value, $2100.
1829- 4 blacks over 16, 9 total. 6 horses. Total: $1600.
1830- 0 blacks over 16, 1 total. 5 horses. Total: $500.
Absalom first appears in Grayson County, Kentucky. tax records in 1834 and last in 1868. Some records are missing and he didn't appear on a few of the records that do exist. Taxable items recorded varied from year to year: the general picture that emerges is: he was taxed on 309 acres on Nolin River (sometimes the record shows Barton's Run instead-the latter joins the former near the present location of St. Benedict's Catholic Church at Wax, Grayson County, Kentucky) and, some years, on an additional parcel on the same watercource. He was taxed on horses, cattle, corn, wheat and tobacco. He was also taxed on two or three slaves most years.
1840 U.S. Census, Grayson County, Kentucky: 1 male 30-40; 1 female 30-40; 1 male 10-15 (William); 1 female 10-15 (Ann Elizabeth); 1 female 5-10 (Mary Jane); 2 males under 5 (Robert and Pius). Bennett was only about nine; where is he?
1850 U.S. Census, Grayson County, Kentucky, Schedule page # 34: Johnson, Abselom H. 48; Elizabeth 48; William 21; Bennet 19; George 16; Robert 14; Pius 13; James 8; Susan 5; John 2. ( Mary Jane is gone from this census where is she?)

(From Notes of Bob Johnston) Much conjecture surrounds my gr.gr. Grandfather, as re: names Absolom/Absalom/Abraham/Abbott, most due to old records misspelling, some by early monks/priests being transcribed in early Latin, I contacted a Latin scholar, loosely translated all (Absolom/Abraham/Abbot) were often interchangable, also referring to religous/biblical sons of Abraham. Latin scholars interpretaton, not mine. Every thing I have gleaned about him, was of a positive nature. Seems he may have been the earliest convert, poss. from Scots Calv. religion to Catholic, also poss. due to wife Elizabeth being Catholic. A very upstanding family man.

1860 Census Grayson County, Kentucky, MillersTown reel #M653-369 Page # 186:Johnson A H 58 M Farmer real val. 2,800 pers val. 2,000 birthplace Virginia; Elizabeth 59 F Housewifery birthplace Kentucky;
Robert 23 M Farmlaborer birthplace Kentucky; James 19 M Farmlaborer birthplace Kentucky; Susan E 15 F birthplace Kentucky; John 12 M birthplace Kentucky.

More About ABSALOM HILL JOHNSTON:
Burial: St. Francis Cemetery, St. Paul, Neosho County, Kansas
Christening: December 25, 1832, Holy Name of Mary Church, Calvery, Washington County, Kentucky
History: Marriage bond is recorded in Washington County, Kentucky (Book 2 page105)., County Court Clerk.Washington County Courthouse, Springfield, Kentucky 40069.
Religion: Catholic

x. DOROTHY ANN JOHNSTON, b. August 08, 1804, Caroline County. Virginia; d. June 18, 1833, Palmyra, Marion County, Missouri.

Notes for DOROTHY ANN JOHNSTON:
She was great grandmother to Bess Truman, wife of President Harry Truman.

xi. JANE MILDRED JOHNSTON, b. November 27, 1809, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania County, Virginia; d. January 20, 1907, Mexico, Audrain County, Missouri.

Generation No. 5

5. WILLIAM ORVILLE5 JOHNSTON (WILLIAM WALLER4, RICHARD3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born March 19, 1798, and died November 26, 1868 in Bonnieville, Hart County, Kentucky. He married NANCY ANN SHIVELY February 05, 1823 in Green County, Kentucky, daughter of JACOB SHIVELY and SOPHIA DAVIS.

More About WILLIAM ORVILLE JOHNSTON:
Burial: Campground Cemetery, Bonnieville, Hart County, Kentucky

More About NANCY ANN SHIVELY:
Burial: Campground Cemetery, Bonnieville, Hart County, Kentucky

More About WILLIAM JOHNSTON and NANCY SHIVELY:
Marriage: February 05, 1823, Green County, Kentucky

Children of WILLIAM JOHNSTON and NANCY SHIVELY are:
i. SARA JANE6 JOHNSTON, b. March 09, 1824.

ii. ELIZABETH R. JOHNSTON, b. April 09, 1826.

iii. WILLIAM WALLER JOHNSTON, b. September 20, 1829.

iv. JACOB FRANCES JOHNSTON, b. December 23, 1831.

v. RICHARD HORACE JOHNSTON, b. May 26, 1833.

vi. JOHN DUDGEON JOHNSTON, b. October 06, 1836.

vii. GEORGE BELT JOHNSTON, b. October 20, 1839.

viii. MARY JANE JOHNSTON, b. September 29, 1841.

6. ix. SOPHIA ANN JOHNSTON, b. April 15, 1843, Kentucky; d. February 07, 1904, Izard, Independence County, Arkansas.

Generation No. 6

6. SOPHIA ANN6 JOHNSTON (WILLIAM ORVILLE5, WILLIAM WALLER4, RICHARD3, WILLIAM2, WILLIAM1) was born April 15, 1843 in Kentucky, and died February 07, 1904 in Izard, Independence County, Arkansas. She married ANDREW CROCKETT HODGES 1866 in Kentucky, son of MILES HODGES and NANCY HAWKINS. He was born July 01, 1840 in Virginia, and died February 20, 1905 in Izard, Independence County, Arkansas.

More About SOPHIA ANN JOHNSTON:
Burial: Pine Springs Cemetery, Cave City, Arkansas
Census: 1900, Independence County, Arkansas

More About ANDREW CROCKETT HODGES:
Burial: Pine Springs Cemetery, Cave City, Arkansas
Census: 1900, Independence County, AR

More About ANDREW HODGES and SOPHIA JOHNSTON:
Marriage: 1866, Kentucky

Children of SOPHIA JOHNSTON and ANDREW HODGES are:
7. i. BENJAMIN LONGSTREET7 HODGES, b. March 19, 1867, Hart County, Kentucky; d. October 17, 1949, Anadarko, Oklahoma.
8. ii. JOHN WILLIAM HODGES, b. November 13, 1869, Hart County, Kentucky; d. May 10, 1943, Tripp, Dallas County, TX.
9. iii. JETTIE HODGES, b. March 1873, AR/Kentucky; d. 1958.
iv. MILES T HODGES, b. April 10, 1875; d. November 26, 1875, Independence County, AR.

More About MILES T HODGES:
Burial: Independence County, AR

10. v. URAL CLARENCE HODGES, b. August 1878, Arkansas.
vi. H E HODGES, b. 1880.
11. vii. EDDIE ALLIE HODGES, b. May 16, 1880; d. January 21, 1960.
12. viii. ALVIS HODGES, b. Abt. 1881, AR.
13. ix. ELIZABELL (BELL) HODGES, b. February 1882, Arkansas.
x. OLLEVA HODGES, b. August 09, 1883; d. April 13, 1888, Independence County, AR.

More About OLLEVA HODGES:
Burial: Independence County, AR

14. xi. ADA HODGES, b. 1885.
15. xii. FRANKIE HODGES, b. October 28, 1887; d. September 07, 1962.

Re: Johnston - Congenital absence of the middle phalanges

Alex (View posts)
Posted: 6 Aug 2004 7:37AM GMT
My grandfather, Elbert F. Johnston, PhD, is the author of Johnston of Caroline which you cited in your inquiry. He was a genetic researcher by profession and I believe he would have found such an anomaly of particular interest had he encountered this type of trait in a particular genetic line of the Johnston family. To my knowledge he never mentioned or noted any such data. I hope this information contributes to the research you are conducting.

Mary Frasher (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2004 4:57AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2004 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Johnston
Sophia Ann Johnston did have this and passed it down to her children. Where did Sophia get it? Don't know, have not been able to find that info, but there is a story about it being in her Johnston line from Ireland. Also, that this came from the "little people"...now what does that mean exactly in real terms?

Alex (View posts)
Posted: 7 Aug 2004 5:50AM GMT
Edited: 7 Aug 2004 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Herndon, Howard
While I don't doubt that your research indicates that Sophia Johnston may have had this anomaly, I can only indicate that my grandfather's research did not seem to come across this particular finding as it was never mentioned in any of his published research or, as far as I know, his notes. I looked Sophia up in my copy of his book, Johnston of Caroline County, Virginia, and found her listed on pages 58/59, and page 543 where she is listed as Sophia Johnston Herndon.

Page 58/59 lists her as the 9th child of Larkin and Mary Johnston, born 12/15/1769, Granville Co., NC. Married to Larkin Herndon, 8/26/1802 of Caswell Co.

I am descended from Sophia's younger brother, Richard Johnston born 3/14/1778. As far as I know, all this line of Johnstons originated in the lowlands of Scotland. I don't know of a connection with Ireland, and my grandfather was never able to establish a connection with an Irish line. He gives an accounting of this Johnston family's history at the beginning of his book and it only mentions a connection with Scotland.

On page 543 of his book, my grandfather noted that "Research on this family (meaning Sophia's) lagged behind that on other branches. Consequently, confirmation on some of the information given here is lacking. Weak spots in the record will be indicated. The above information came from the Larkin Johnston Bible. Other information came from the Bible of Archer Jessee owned by Mrs. E.F. Hargis of Lebanon, VA.

Sophia and Larkin Herndon both died in Russell Co, VA. They were married in Caswell Co., NC. She was his second wife. He was a brother of Rachel Herndon who married Larkin Howard (13331) and the father by his first wife of Edward Herndon who married Nancy Ann Howard (13333)." My grandfather then continues on for the next two pages to give some accounting of this Sophia's and Larkin's children and grandchildren.

If you don't have a copy of my grandfather's book and would like one you might be able to purchase a copy from my mother as she may have a few left. If you would like her address to send an inquiry please let me know and I will forward that to you.

All the best in your continuing research. I hope you find the answers that you are seeking.

Posted: 8 Aug 2004 3:15AM GMT
Edited: 8 Aug 2004 12:37PM GMT
Surnames: Johnston, Fairholm, Hodges
I would certainly like to obtain this book. But, I know for a fact that Sophia Ann Johnston had this, I do not know for a fact where it came from, just heard that it came from the Irish side which would be from not the Johnston line itself, but from the line of Sophia Fairholm who was from Ireland and married William Johnston. Like I said I know for a fact Sophia Ann Johnston who married Andrew Crockett Hodges did have this, but do not know where she inherited it from. And it is a fact that it has descended all generations since her from this family line from those who also inherited this. The chance was 50-50 that if you have it your children will have it. And several of her children inherited it and passed it down to their children and it still is being passed down. It is in my own family and several cousins, etc have this. The Sophia Ann Johnston I am referring to was born 15 April 1843 KY and died 7 Feb 1904 Arkansas. You can contact me at ~Molly frasherfraziergenealogy@hotmail.com

LITTLEMOMMA38 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Jun 2006 2:02PM GMT
Edited: 8 Jun 2006 8:02PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Hodges
1860 Census of Hart Co. KY.
Sophia Johnson was d/o William O. Johnson and Nancy.( Maybe Robertson)
Had two bros. at this time George and John.

Posted: 8 Jun 2006 5:52AM GMT
Surnames: Johnston
William Orville Johnston and Nancy Ann Shively are Sophia's parents. William's parents are William Waller Johnston and Ann Buckner. Nancy's parents are William Buckner and Mary Madison and so on...I have this info, but thanks for helping. frasherfraziergenealogy@hotmail.com

Re: Nancy Johnston m. Woodring

lutaor002 (View posts)
Posted: 9 Jun 2006 6:56PM GMT
Edited: 30 Jun 2006 6:25PM GMT
I am looking for a Nancy Johnston who married a Woodring and had a son named William Wellington Woodring. I saw Buford in their line and Lewin also. Can somebody pleeeeeeease help me Leslie

tunnelm1 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Oct 2009 10:35PM GMT
Surnames: Johnson, Smith, Johnston
What evidence do you have that the Richard Johnson who married Dorothy Waller was the same Richard Johnson who married Ann Smith in Louisa Co., VA (but who then lived in Caroline Co., VA)? Thanks so much.

LouiseFieldsCosar51 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Mar 2011 3:38AM GMT
Surnames: Johston, Harlow
Did your grandfather live in Commerce, TX? I have a copy of a letter from Elbert Johnston written in 1964 about my great-grandparents.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions