Search for content in message boards

History of Elyton Village

History of Elyton Village

nitabobo (View posts)
Posted: 8 Feb 2008 4:28AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bagwell/York
I have tried to find out the history of Elyton Village on line and all I have found thus far describes it as a small and unimportant little village. Yet on early maps of Alabama it appears, the little I have been able to find out that it was a jumping off point for those settling western Alabama and further west. Was it an Native American village?Who were the first white settlers? Why is there so little info on it.

Re: History of Elyton Village

ggfor44 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Mar 2008 4:23AM GMT
contact the Birmingham Public Library at the following website-when it opens, click on the drop down box and click on ASK A LIBRARIAN. It is free and you usually hear within 24-36 hours.

http://www.bplonline.org/

eurotoaster (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2008 5:58PM GMT
I've been looking for information about the founding of Elyton myself. There's surprisingly little information on the web. Elyton seems to have been a hamlet of little consequence until it became the site of the new city Birmingham in 1871.

Here's what I have learned though.

Several villages in the Jones Valley, Elyton among them, were founded around 1813. The area seems to have been previously occupied by Creek Indians, and the first white settlers in Elyton were soldiers who had fought with Andrew Jackson in the Creek Wars.

ggfor44 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Apr 2008 7:21PM GMT
I live in Birmingham and there is still a small area of Birmingham called Elyton. Please follow the instructions I am listing--they will be more than willing to help on this matter and any other matter, They respond very quickly.
----------------------------------
contact the Birmingham Public Library at the following website-when it opens, click on the drop down box and click on ASK A LIBRARIAN. It is free and you usually hear within 24-36 hours.

http://www.bplonline.org/

nitabobo (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2008 9:06AM GMT
I haven't tried the library deal yet..but my curiosity is why there is so little? i have an ancestor who was native American and he was supposed to be the leader of the village. I wonder if the finding of iron and all precipitated the lack of info? Also, I am doubly curious because it is listed on alot of old maps. I have read how people traveling to west of Alabama traveled thru there. I will try to find out more and if I do I will let you know. And thanks for the info

WHORN125 (View posts)
Posted: 7 Apr 2008 12:34PM GMT
You may have already found this information but here is briefly the story of Elyton.

Transcribed from ALABAMA, HER HISTORY, RESOURCES, WAR RECORD,
AND PUBLIC MEN FROM 1540 TO 1872, by W. BREWER

"Elyton is the seat of justice. It was incorporated Dec., 20, 1820, having been laid out just previous to that date, and Matthew H. Gillaspie, Samuel Hall, Wm. C. Tarrant, and Col. John Martin were appointed to hold the first municipal election. It now has about 700 inhabitants. It is named for Mr. W. H. Ely, the agent of the deaf and dumb asylum, and who deeded to the county the quarter section of land on which the town stands on the condition that the courthouse should be erected here."

Also see:
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9...

Elyton was named for William Ely of Connecticut. His "asylum for the deaf and dumb" in Hartford was given a grant of lands in Alabama in 1819. The sale of the land was used to fund the operations of the asylum. Ely donated part of the land for a county seat. In gratitude, the residents named the area Elyton.

The Birmingham Library is your best resource as the other researcher has mentioned.

eurotoaster (View posts)
Posted: 8 Apr 2008 5:54PM GMT
A librarian passed on the following information to me:

According to the book, Elyton-West End: Birmingham's First Neighborhood,

"As Jones Valley attracted more settlers, a trading center called Frog Level naturally developed . . . The village sat on land that a Connecticut school (the Connecticut Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb) owned through a gift from the U.S. Government. IN 1819, the school sent its agent, William Ely, to Jones Valley to sell the land. Ely liked the residents of Frog Level so well - and thought their land so worthless - that he gave them 160 acres in and around the village. In gratitute, the citizens of Frog Level promptly changed the name of their frontier community to Elyton." (pp. 1-2).

Additional information can be found in Leah Rawls Atkins's book The Valley and the Hills: An Illutrated History of Birmingham and Jefferson County. If this book is not available in your local library, they may be able to borrow it for you via inter-library loan. Most of the early settlers of Jefferson County were farmers. They came pre-dominantly from Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, and Virginia. Many of them were veterans from the Indian Wars of 1813 who had traveled through this part of Alabama with Andrew Jackson.

LytleRichie (View posts)
Posted: 16 Jun 2010 1:15PM GMT
Surnames: Richie, Price
I lived in Elyton Village from 1969 until I graduated from high school in 1979. I was wondering if you could help me with finding photos of people who lived there around the time that I did. I am sorry that I cannot provide you with any history of it except what it was like when I lived there. I do know it was the oldest housing project in the Birmingham area and have been told it was a very elite neighborhood when it was first built as was the West End area. Thanks for any help you can give.

baileypr11 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jun 2010 6:51PM GMT
Just a quick note about the town of Elyton in Jefferson County. Elyton was the county seat of Jefferson County until a couple of years after Birmingham's founding. After the courthouse at Elyton burned, the county seat was moved to Birmingham. One account, amusing but definitely undocumented, was that some of the envious upstarts from the new community helped to "spark" the move.

Here are a couple of early maps I found somewhere online that might be of interest.
Attachments:

jbrookshomes (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2010 5:08AM GMT
Surnames: Johnny Brooks
I lived in Elyton Village from 1963 through 1971. During
that period of time, as a kid it was almost heaven.
There was something for everyone. Most occupants were
single mothers like mine, some were on public assistance,
but many worked two jobs trying to make ends meet. Legion
Field at that time was The Football Capital of the South.
The kids would make money by parking cars in the village
during Alabama football games. It was truly an experience
living in Elyton Village during that time.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions