Search for content in message boards

Fielder name Origin?

Fielder name Origin?

D. Fielder (View posts)
Posted: 22 Feb 2009 8:17AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Fielder
Hi all,

I am a Fielder and am curious what others have found as to our name's origin. The oldest existence of our name I have seen on here is in the 1770s around Virginia/North Carolina.
Where in Europe does our name come from and who has the earliest arrival here in the US?
I am from the NJ Fielders and see others in Georgia, Virginia, Alabama, Arkansas and Texas; are we all related? I have been told that we have Lenape blood too, has the Fielder trail been spread from the exodus to Oklahoma?
Would love to hear other's thoughts.

Douglas J. Fielder

Re: Fielder name Origin?

luno1973 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Apr 2009 6:25AM GMT
My Fielder family. I've only been able to go as far back as the mid 1800's to De Kalb county Alabama. From there they moved to McClain county Oklahoma. I only know of a hand full of us here in California. We came I think during the Dust bowl.

mickg01 (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2009 9:24AM GMT
Surnames: Fielder Quinton
My Fielder is Albert Edward Fielder the man who married my Aunt Mabel Isabel Quinton in Southwark London in 1923.

Regrettably he only lived 5-years after the marriage and not being a direct line I have not pursued this too far yet.

I'm pretty convinced the name is of English origin back to when surnames started to be used. It could be a distortion of a German Felder in some cases.

MickG

RDHnGa (View posts)
Posted: 4 Apr 2009 2:08PM GMT
My Fielder family arrived in Georgia from Virginia by way of North Carolina in the late 1700s. Family tradition has it the first of our line to arrive in Virginia was from Liverpool, England. I have had contact with a descendant of another Fielder family which originated in Prussia.

knitternana (View posts)
Posted: 5 Apr 2009 2:29AM GMT
A cousin of mine traced our branch of the family to Albany, NY. I was told that the original name was Felder and that were 2 branches. Those that go by Felder and those that go by Fielder. He found a man that had been living in the same farmhouse that had been occupied by the family for several generations. Robert Felder immigrated to the US in 1794 from Staleybridge, UK which is just outside of Manchester. He married Elizabeth Cheetham whose brother owned several cotton mills in the area. I visited the town while I was in England, but was not able to find out how Robert got to Staleybridge.

bernieandleol (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2009 2:04PM GMT
Hi, my Mother Naomi Green (Kelley)is from the line of Heards and Kelley's. Her Great Grandmother was Sarah Jane Dixon whose Mother was Mariah M. Fielder B. 1812 D. 1888, her father was William Louis Fielder have no info on him or his wife. We have Sara Ann "Sally" Benge as his mother, we now know from your information that her husband was James Fielder. We have been following some of the history of the Benge family. Would love to know how Obediah fits in with William L. Fielder, are they brothers?
bernieandleol@aol.com

RDHnGa (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2009 1:09PM GMT
William Lewis Fielder was the older brother of Obediah Martin Benge Fielder. Sarah Benge Fielder's mother was Elizabeth Lewis, daughter of William Terrell Lewis of Virginia. Obediah was named after Sarah Benge's brother, Obediah Martin Benge.

bernieandleol (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2009 4:02PM GMT
Thank you so much for that information! If I can help with any of your information, please do not hesitate to email. We are family!

edadams27 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2009 8:32PM GMT
Surnames: Adams, Fielders, Benge
My ggg grand father, Thomas Adams, came to Davidson/Williamson Co., TN prior to 1799. He died that year in Davidson/Williamson Co. Joel Lewis became the guardians of his minor children. Thomas Adams had two sons who married Fielder girls in Williamson Co., TN. My gg grand father, Daniel Adams married Susannah Fielder on 4/10/1811 and David Adams married Betsy Fielder on 9/11/1816. I have not been able to document the parents of these two girls. I know that the Fielders, Lewis and Benge families connect in some way. Also, since Joel Lewis became the guardian to the Adams children, I believe there is a connection with the Adams and Lewis family. Can someone help me out? See my web site at: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~adams1895

Ralph_Sewell (View posts)
Posted: 26 Apr 2009 9:55PM GMT
I have a Sally Bengie in my family tree. She is the wife of James Fielder and their daughter Mary Polly Fielder Married Joseph Few who is my 3rd great grandfather. Any connections out there?
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions