Search for content in message boards

St. Michael's Orphanage

St. Michael's Orphanage

Allen Moore (View posts)
Posted: 17 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Moore
I am looking for my family. There were six of us that were at St. Michael"s Orphanage. We were there starting in 1944. I found all but one brother. His name is DuWayne. I need to know where I can find the history or archivies of this orphanage.

St Michael's

Micvhael E Dorsey (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
City of Lacrosse... St Michaels I cannot help you with your search for your brother but I spent five years there fron 1936-1941 and it was not a happy place for me.Besides myself there was a younger brother and three sisters.My brother might have known your brother. Helives in Lexington NC and I will contact him.

Mike Dorsey Mechanicsvill, Va.

St. Michaels Orphanage

Allen Moore (View posts)
Posted: 23 Oct 2000 12:00PM GMT
Lacrosse Wisc. Thanks for the info. That should be a good place to start

St Michaels'/Records

Michael E Dorsey (View posts)
La Crosse....
You might check with the Catholic Charities of La Crosse.at P.O. Box 266 Zip 54602 Tele 608 784 5323. I got my complete record They might have info on your brother..
A donation might speed things up.

Mike Dorsey

St. Michaels Orphanage

Allen Moore (View posts)
Thanks for the response. I was in Lacrosse on 10-13-00 and found out the orphanage was toredown. I was hoping to look for some records as to where my brother DuWayne went when He left there. I thought that would be a start. I left there in 1950 and worked on a farm by River Falls Wi. for some very nice people.

Re: St. Michaels Orphanage

cdorsey655 (View posts)
Posted: 25 Jan 2004 7:10AM GMT
The two orphanages were St Michael's Home for Boys on Winnebago Street, dedicated in 1875, and a few years later, St Mary's Home for Girls on Market Street. The two operated until 1911, when a new St Michael's for both boys and girls was built on a 180-acre farm on what was then the outskirts of LaCrosse. The site is now houses Ray Hutson Chevrolet. Bob Laubach, executive director for Catholic Residential Services, said some records do still exist from the homes. People intrested in obtaining copies of specific records should contact Catholic Residential Services P.O. Box 2394, LaCrosse WI 54602 and be prepared to submit a formal request in writing. The other place to look for information from these orphanages is to contact the State at 608-266-1003 or Department of Vital Records 608-267-7820 in Madison Wisconsin.

Re: St Michael's

rmatlackjr (View posts)
Posted: 22 Mar 2010 6:08PM GMT
I'm looking for Richard Matlack that went to St. Michaels between 40's and 60's. Might you remember him?

Re: St Michael's

Roygavigan1934 (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 2010 9:53PM GMT
I was at St. Michaels at that time. I'm talking about St.
Michaels in La Cross, WI.

Re: St. Michael's Orphanage

Roygavigan1934 (View posts)
Posted: 26 Jun 2010 2:57AM GMT
Surnames: Gavigan
I was there at that time with my brother ands sister.

Re: St. Michael's Orphanage

nbss0107 (View posts)
Posted: 21 Aug 2010 1:21AM GMT
St. Michael's Orphnage burned down. I was able to get information from the Diocese of LaCrosse Catholic Church. I actually went there to pick it up. My grandfather and his family were there in the 1910's.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions