Search for content in message boards

Loves in Mississippi

Loves in Mississippi

ErinneDock (View posts)
Posted: 17 Nov 2012 7:39AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: LOVE
Edna Malissa Love is my 3rd great grandmother, wife of William Wortham Hamblett.

her father was Isaac Love (mother was Nancy (possibly a Cooper)..... Isaacs father from what I can find was Robert love (spouse possibly mary sadler)...robert is a bit of a dark horse........not sure exactly where he sprang from but I think his father might have been Benjamin (not sure of wife) and Benjamins father was James who came from Ireland......I would like help confirming/correcting what I think i have and also filling in the siblings and spouses. I do know that there IS Choctaw somewhere in there but not exactly sure. I am assuming its the the Nancy cooper line.

Ii seems that I am ran into a bit of a muddle and I REALLY need some help/suggestions etc. Seems that researching the Love connection has got me all twisted (I researched my husbands family thru the holocaust to zgoritza Moldova but I cannot unravel the Loves lol

Re: Loves in Mississippi

beckerlj (View posts)
Posted: 1 Dec 2012 6:43PM GMT
Surnames: Love
Can you give any dates on any of the older Loves you mentioned? I come from Loves that were Chickasaw and since the two tribes were somewhat together, there is a possibility of a connection. I have an Isaac Love name that carries throughout the family. I can be reached at beckerw@ix.netcom.com.
Will wait to hear from you if you are still looking.
Lynda Becker

terijo170 (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2012 12:01AM GMT
Have you two had a male Love tested? It's easy and pretty inexpensive and we'd love to see where we all link up. I'm interested because I have a lot of Loves who migrated all over the area (NC, probably Maryland first, W Virginia, Kentucky.... Terijo

beckerlj (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2012 12:58AM GMT
There are no males left in my family that carry the LOVE surname. Sorry. I do know that my Love family married into the Chickasaw Indian Tribe. Oldest that I can prove is Thomas Love, who married Chickasaw, Sally Colbert. They were in area of Holly Springs, Mississippi and were removed from there about 1842 to Indian Territory. I hope I have the right names as I am doing this from memory.

ErinneDock (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2012 7:21AM GMT
Edited: 2 Dec 2012 7:22AM GMT
My Isaac Love married a Nancy Cooper, who we think was Choctaw

Interesting about your Holly Springs. The Land im on once belonged to the Choctaw Love branch. Slone Love (he had choctaw blood and quite often was an interpreter) sold quite a bit of Land .. it later became a town called Wyatt.... but nothing is left of it at all......between the RR moving to Abbevile and the union soldiers (a skirmish was fought there) nothing is left of Wyatt. Another Love (choctaw name..will have to look it up in the morning to be precise) owned the land from Harmontown north to Tate county along Greasy Creek ....My house sits just above Greasy creek and we can see the creek bed from my hilltop

ErinneDock (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2012 1:17PM GMT
The Lafayette Historical society collection of stories/histories has Slone Love (Sloane) son of Thomas Love and Sally Colbert acting as an interpreter/leader of a part of the Choctaw nation. His name has been found also as "Stone" Love. It was he who arranged the sale of land to begin the town of Wyatt.

beckerlj (View posts)
Posted: 2 Dec 2012 6:26PM GMT
"My" Sloan Love was Chickasaw, son of Thomas Love, a white man, and Sally Colbert, daughter of James Logan Colbert and a Chickasaw woman. He was born abt 1801 and died 1848. Sloan married Lottie Gains. The only thing I could find on the Choctaw Sloan Love was that he voted at Calvin's precinct in Tobusky County in 1897 and was dead at South McAlester by 1904. J C Story was administrator of his estate.

ErinneDock (View posts)
Posted: 3 Dec 2012 4:39AM GMT
interesting that =) I dont usually do cross overs lol....
My great great great grandmother Malissa love had choctaw sorry for the cross over.
so your thomas is the one who had at least 2 chickasaw wives, and who sided with the British in the Revolution............then after a skirmish with family members and some of col sumpters men fled for his life setting on Pontotoc co miss. He is listed on the 1830 monroe county (now pontotc) federal census as being 100 years old. his last wife and her family then moved to Oklahoma with sons Ben Isaac and slone serving as chiefs/interpreters and Judges for the Chickasaw. Slone is still listed as selling land in and around Harmontown Miss and IN community of "Wyatt's crossing"
My ancestress was born in 1818 in St Clair Alabama in Beaver Valley area to Isaac and Nancy Love. They moved to Mississippi when she was about 6. I know her father Isaac was the son of Robert Love who was involoved in the shoot out with sumpters men (he was killed in the barn)....not sure of the dates on that I do need some references etc and primary documents ..need some dates of birth and death and siblings Robert is not mentioned in the Benjamin Loves will because of this fracas which got Robert killed....still looking for dates and primary documentation

SallyWoolley87 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2013 2:51PM GMT
I think you might be the help I've been looking for! My 2 great grandfather Michael Kisner came with "Bob Love" from Tennessee in the late 1830's, possibly. He said he was leaving an unhappy family situation. I have had no luck finding a Kisner in Tennessee that fits. So I am hoping the Loves can tell me where in Tennessee they came from? So I can look at the land records to possibly identify a Kisner/Kesner/Kazner (or some variant)neighbor he would have known. I know Michael was friends with the Indian population as he named a daughter Minelotah, which was supposedly the name of an Indian woman. I haven't researched that, just family lore. Can anyone help me?

terijo170 (View posts)
Posted: 8 Aug 2013 3:41PM GMT
My Loves in NC bounced back and forth across the 4 state lines in this time frame - look at the counties in the touching 4 states: my Loves lived in the NW corner of NC, the SE corner of KY, the NE corner of TN and the SW corner of Virginia. I dont know of a Bob Love but I have only tracked the direct line. Your guy may have come from Tenn LAST but may not have come from Tenn originally - and particularly if his family situation was unhappy he may not have claimed the right area. I didnt realize mine had bounced into Tenn until I saw evidence of Caleb Love - who I was not aware had left Ashe County, NC., voting in the neighboring county across the state line in Tenn. Johnson County, I think.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions