Search for content in message boards

Riddick Family Cemetery

Riddick Family Cemetery

James Lee Riddick (View posts)
Posted: 31 Oct 2005 8:47PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Riddick
I believe that there is a Riddick Family Cemetery located on White Marsh Road, where "Old Place" Riddick family plantation once stood. I visited the area this past year but was not successful in locating this cemetery. I'm sure it is on private property. Does anyone know if the cemetery has ever benn surveyed and if so, where can I obtain a list of those buried in the cemetery? Supposely my GG Grandfather Washington Lafayette Riddick and his parents Mills and Mary A. Taylor Riddick are buried in the family cemetery. This is the Mills Riddick that built Riddick's Folly.

Re: Riddick Family Cemetery

D. Parker (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2005 3:52AM GMT
Surnames: LOVESAY/LIVESAY/LUFSEY, PRUDEN, LUKE, NELMS, SMITH, MARABLE, SPIVEY, FOSTER,, PULLER, SOLES, FARY, BLAYLOCK
If you go to the Nansemond County, VA GEN WEB site (http://www.rootsweb.com/~vanansem/) and click on 'Cemeteries', and then on 'Nansemond Cemeteries Vol. 1', you will find an accounting of those that are assumed to be buried on this site. I say assumed because of the following:

"MILLS RIDDICK FAMILY CEMETERY
MILLS RIDDICK FARM "OLD PLACE" ORGINALLY, NOW (1996) BELONGS TO FRANK CASE,
2080 WHITE MARSH ROAD, SUFFOLK, VA."

"THE ADULTS ARE MENTIONED IN FILLMORE NORFLEET'S BOOKS OR RIDDICK GENEOLOGY
BOOKLET AS BURIED HERE. I AM ASSUMING THEIR INFANTS OR CHILDREN THAT DIED ARE
ALSO BURIED HERE SO I HAVE INCLUDED THEM. THE CEMETERY IS OVER GROWN AND MANY
OF THE STONES HAVE BROKEN OR HAVE BEEN TURNED OVER AND BURIED. THE NAMES WERE
NOT COLLECTED FROM THE CEMETERY ITSELF."

I have the Filmore Norfleet book mentioned, and here is what is says about your Washington Layfayette Riddick:

"Mills Riddick (b. April 3, 1780 - d. Sept. 5, 1844, in Suffolk) married October 27, 1803, Mary Taylor (1788 - 1875) and had issue fourteen children, among whom were some very substantial citizens: . . . (1 - 9). . . , 10. Washington Lafayette (b. 1825 - 1871, in New Orleans) a lawyer in Suffolk, m. 1844, Frances Marion Blount (b. 1825, at "Belmont," Southampton Co.)"

I'm not sure what is meant by the New Orleans. Could he have died in New Orleans? While you're at the Nansemond County website, check out the Cedar Hill Cemetery burials. There are a whole bunch of Riddicks there as well.

Hope this helps.

Posted: 3 Nov 2005 3:22PM GMT
Surnames: Riddick
Thanks for your reply. I also have a copy of Norfleet's book, and have visited the Gen Web site for Nansemond County cemeteries. I was hoping to find a list that was inventoried by someone who had visited the burial site. Do you have a phone number for the Frank Case that owns the property? As for Washington Lafayette Riddick's death in New Orleans, he had went there from Suffolk for health reasons. From accounts of his death, he was returned to Suffolk for burial in the family cemetery. Supposely, my Great Grandfather Julian Fraser Riddick, who was living in Florida attended the funeral. Are you by chance related to this family?

D. Parker (View posts)
Posted: 3 Nov 2005 5:34PM GMT
Surnames: LOVESAY/LIVESAY/LUFSEY, LUKE, PRUDEN, SPIVEY, MARABLE, SMITH, FOSTER, PULLER, SOLES, FARY, BLAYLOCK
I'm not related to the Riddick family (that I know of!). I obtained several of Filmore Norfleet's books in the hopes of finding information about ANY of my ancestors.

My only Riddick connection is that Nathaniel Riddick, acting as family attourney, filed a claim with the CSA on behalf of my g-g-g-grandmother, Ann Elizabeth PRUDEN LUKE resulting from the death of her husband (my g-g-g-grandfather) William J. LUKE.

White Pages.com has the following information that might be the Mr. Case you need to talk to:
B F Jr Case
2080 White Marsh Rd
Suffolk, VA 23434-7827
(757) 539-0365

Good Luck,

Deborah Parker

Kevin Ashley (View posts)
Posted: 13 Nov 2005 1:18AM GMT
On your trip did you find the Riddick Cemetery near the junction of Adam's Swamp Road and Greenway Road? If not, I have some pictures from that cemetery that include the headstones of John K Riddick and his wife, Elizabeth Brinkley Riddick, in case you are interested.

My closest connection to the Riddick's is that my great-great-grandfather, William Umphlette, lived in the same area and named one of his sons Riddick Umphlette.

Posted: 13 Nov 2005 4:38AM GMT
Surnames: RIDDICK
Thanks for the reply. No, I did not find the cemetery mentioned. I would appreciate pictures and data on folks buried in this cemetery. I haven't ran across a John K. Riddick that was married to an Elizabeth Brinkley. Thanks in advance. James Lee Riddick riddick11@verizon.net

lenn179 (View posts)
Posted: 27 Mar 2010 6:16AM GMT
Hello I am a decendent of a riddick slave and would like any information that you may have on any of the riddick slaves. any help would be appreciated.

mary_windisch (View posts)
Posted: 3 Apr 2012 11:32PM GMT
Surnames: Riddick, Jones
Hi Lenn,
Maybe Riddick Folly Museum in Suffolk could be helpful
I am a descendant of Elizabeth Riddick Norfleet. My brother
has a lot of information on my grandfather Arthur Carroll Jones' family in Nancemond Va.and Gates NC. If you look up his tree maybe you can get some clues. i know by brother has found
names of slaves in wills. Also sallysfamilyplace.com look under Riddicks. Hope this is helpful. Mary Clare

newjersey48 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2013 3:30PM GMT
My husband's 5thgreatgrandmother was Sarah Norfleet Jones Dozier who died 1873. She was the sister of Dempsey Jones. Trying to find burial info. Have articles on murder but doesn't give place of burial. Any help would be appreciated as we are heading that way soon. Thank you Paula
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions