Search for content in message boards

BUTTERWORTH Descendants of Belfield & Butterworth Hall

BUTTERWORTH Descendants of Belfield & Butterworth Hall

IanButterworth2010 (View posts)
Posted: 8 May 2009 4:44AM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: ALLEN, ASHWORTH, BAILEY, BAILLIE, BARRY, BARTLETT, BENOUGH, BINNS, BISHOP, BOWEN, BOWER, BRADSHAW, BUCKLEY, BUTLER, BUXTON, CAMPBELL, CARTER, COGSWELL, COLLIER, COOKE, COX, CRONKSHAW, CURTIS, CUTTS, DALE, DANIEL-TYSSEN, DAVIES, DIXON, DODGEON, DODGSON, EDWARDS, FLETCHER, FLOYD, FORD, GILBERT, GOODE, GORE, GREEN, GREENWOOD, GURNEY, HARGRAVES, HARGREAVES, HAWORTH, HAYWOOD, HEAP, HEATH, HEYER, HEYES, HEYS, HINDLE, HOLLAND, HOLLIS, HORN, HOWORTH, HUDDLESTON, IONISES, JACKSON, JEAS, JOHNSON, JONES, KAYE, KERSHAW, LAMBETH, LISTER, MANLEY, MARSDEN, MINES, MORGAN, MORRIS, OSMIN, OSMOND, OSWIN, PENNY, PERRETT, PHILLIPS, PIKE, POLLARD, RAMSBOTTOM, RILEY, ROBINSON, ROSEY, ROYLE, SAWYER, SHACKMAN, SIDNELL, SPARPLES, SHORE, SKIDMORE, SMITH, SPARK, SPENCER, SPENDER, STOCK, SUDAL, SUDALE, TAYLOR, TIDESWELL, TUCKER, VINCENT WALKER, WALMSLEY, WALTHAM, WARBRITTON, WARBURTON, WARDE, WHEREAT, WHITACRE, WHITAKER, WHITE, WHITEHEAD, WHITTAKER, WIGAN, WILCOX, WILKINSON, WILLIAMS & WITCOMBE
Hi,

I am looking for the connection of BUTTERWORTHs of Belfield to Henry BUTTERWORTH (1702-1785), a pious blacksmith in Rossendale, Lancashire.

The "History of the Parish of Rochdale [LA/l80] page 347-on) shows information on the BUTTERWORTH of Belfield and if you are interested in reading it you may be able to obtain a copy from your local library.

There is also another publication "Some notes on the family of BUTTERWORTH" by David BUTTERWORTH that also makes mention of the BUTTERWORTH of Belfield. In his Booklet David makes mention of the fact that the founder of the BUTTERWORTH family was a certain Reginald (Reynald, Reinaud) who lived in the time of King Stephen (1135-1154). David also goes on to say that the direct line failed with the death of Alexander VI in 1728.

David also said that there are two junior branches of the BUTTERWORTHs of Belfield who survive to this day.

One of which connected with Major General William John BUTTERWORTH (1801-1856), Governor of Singapore, after whom the town of Butterworth in Malaysia was named.

The second "junior" branch of the family descends from Henry BUTTERWORTH (1702-1785), a pious blacksmith in Rossendale, Lancashire but I am yet to find the connection that David talks about and would love to hear from anyone who has this information or could help me to obtain it.

This second "junior" branch is my BUTTERWORTH Line and it includes 4 of Henry’s sons who became Particular Baptist Ministers. There are also some others from this Line that became Church of England ministers. Other descendants of Henry include Joseph BUTTERWORTH MP & Law Book publisher (1770-1826) who also played an important part in the abolition of the Slave Trade; his nephew Colonel Henry BUTTERWORTH FSA & Law Book publisher (1786-1860); George Sainton Kaye BUTTERWORTH MC (1885-1916) an English composer who was killed at the Battle of the Somme; Sir Alexander Kaye BUTTERWORTH (1854-1946) the father of George Sainton Kaye mentioned above and James BUTTERWORTH (1811-1888) Historical Painter, Author & Historian. There are also JP’s and many others that I could mention but I think this is becoming a very long post.

I will just finish by saying that this BUTTERWORTH Line has spread far and wide over England and to my current knowledge there are branches in Australia and South Africa.

These BUTTERWORTH married into the following Lines - ALLEN, ASHWORTH, BAILEY, BAILLIE, BARRY, BARTLETT, BENOUGH, BINNS, BISHOP, BOWEN, BOWER, BRADSHAW, BUCKLEY, BUTLER, BUXTON, CAMPBELL, CARTER, COGSWELL, COLLIER, COOKE, COX, CRONKSHAW, CURTIS, CUTTS, DALE, DANIEL-TYSSEN, DAVIES, DIXON, DODGEON, DODGSON, EDWARDS, FLETCHER, FLOYD, FORD, GILBERT, GOODE, GORE, GREEN, GREENWOOD, GURNEY, HARGRAVES, HARGREAVES, HAWORTH, HAYWOOD, HEAP, HEATH, HEYER, HEYES, HEYS, HINDLE, HOLLAND, HOLLIS, HORN, HOWORTH, HUDDLESTON, IONISES, JACKSON, JEAS, JOHNSON, JONES, KAYE, KERSHAW, LAMBETH, LISTER, MANLEY, MARSDEN, MINES, MORGAN, MORRIS, OSMIN, OSMOND, OSWIN, PENNY, PERRETT, PHILLIPS, PIKE, POLLARD, RAMSBOTTOM, RILEY, ROBINSON, ROSEY, ROYLE, SAWYER, SHACKMAN, SIDNELL, SPARPLES, SHORE, SKIDMORE, SMITH, SPARK, SPENCER, SPENDER, STOCK, SUDAL, SUDALE, TAYLOR, TIDESWELL, TUCKER, VINCENT WALKER, WALMSLEY, WALTHAM, WARBRITTON, WARBURTON, WARDE, WHEREAT, WHITACRE, WHITAKER, WHITE, WHITEHEAD, WHITTAKER, WIGAN, WILCOX, WILKINSON, WILLIAMS & WITCOMBE.
No doubt there are many more to come.

I would love to hear from anyone who connects to any of these names or who can help me to find the connection to the Belfield Line.

Thanks.

Ian BUTTERWORTH.

Re: BUTTERWORTH Descendants of Belfield & Butterworth Hall

Jazzper24k (View posts)
Posted: 22 Oct 2010 11:59PM GMT
http://wehmeyergenealogyplus.com/butterworthtree.htm

Hi, I hope the above link works for you, my Grand-Mother is a Butterworth, married a James White. her father was Henery Butterworth...Also you can Google The name Butterworth type Henrietta "Hank" that would be our page. White/butterworth and another I think, hope this helps you,

Tammy

HaydenOswin (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2010 10:44PM GMT
Surnames: Oswin Butterworth
Hi. My Great Great Great Great Grandmother was Hannah Butterworth and she married Thomas Oswin in 1788. They had nine children between 1789 and 1802.
Hannah Butterworth's parents were John Butterworth and Anne Butterworth.
Do you have any information on these Butterworth's and Oswin's?
Regards, Hayden Oswin

wendyh651 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2010 11:20PM GMT
Hi Hayden,

I couldn't help noticing your name, and wonder if we used to know each other? I don't want to put too much here in a public forum, but if my name isn't familiar to you do the names Oswin Griffiths and Equal Data Systems mean anything to you? I'd love to hear from you directly - please feel free to email me at wendy.howard@gmail.com

Kind Regards,
Wendy Howard
--
Kaiwaka, Northland, New Zealand
http://freepages.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~wendyh65/

IanButterworth2010 (View posts)
Posted: 4 Dec 2010 11:57PM GMT
Hi Hayden,

Thanks very much for your email.

I believe that the Hannah BUTTERWORTH (my 1st cousin 7 x removed) who married Thomas OSWIN was the daughter of Henry BUTTERWORTH & Alice COWPER. My source for this is the “Draft Third Codicil for PA/101/8/744 PA/101/8/755 - Will of Henry BUTTERWORTH”. I very much appreciate that it is extremely difficult sorting out who fits in where in this period of time but I do feel I am correct but I am more than happy to be proved wrong as this only makes my Tree more accurate.

If you would like to email me ianFH at westnet.com.au (please change the word “at” to @ and remove the spaces) I would be happy to supply more information on this Line.

Look forward to talking to you later.

Best regards,

Ian B.

From: butterworth-bounces@rootsweb.com [mailto:butterworth-bounces@rootsweb.com] On Behalf Of gc-gateway@rootsweb.com
Sent: Sunday, 5 December 2010 9:44 AM
To: BUTTERWORTH-L@rootsweb.com
Subject: Re: [BTTRWTH] BUTTERWORTH Descendants of Belfield & Butterworth Hall

This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.

Author: HaydenOswin
Surnames: Oswin Butterworth
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/surnames.butterworth/415.2/mb.ash...

Message Board Post:

Hi. My Great Great Great Great Grandmother was Hannah Butterworth and she married Thomas Oswin in 1788. They had nine children between 1789 and 1802.
Hannah Butterworth's parents were John Butterworth and Anne Butterworth.
Do you have any information on these Butterworth's and Oswin's?
Regards, Hayden Oswin

Important Note:
The author of this message may not be subscribed to this list. If you would like to reply to them, please click on the Message Board URL link above and respond on the board.

-------------------------------
To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to BUTTERWORTH-request@rootsweb.com with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions