Search for content in message boards

FOSHEA/FOSHEE/FORSHEE

FOSHEA/FOSHEE/FORSHEE

Patricia C. Andrews (View posts)
Posted: 30 Apr 1998 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
My husband's great grandfather was James Madison FOSHEA/FOSHEE/FORSHEE, b. 1850? in Natchitoches Parish? His father was probably the William M. Forshee in the 1850 and 1860 censuses of Natchitoches and Sabine Parishes who m. 2nd Samantha Dixon in Sabine Parish Sept. 4, 1856. William M.'s father was probably the Nathanael/Nathaniel Forshee b. 1791? Orangeburgh District, S. C.
1) Can someone help me untangle the various Foshees who appear in Natchitoches area records ca. 1840-1870? How were they related
to each other? There was even another William married to another Samantha!
2) Is anyone working on transcribing the Foshee Cemetery in/near Bellwood? A listing of those buried there would be invaluable.
3) What happened to William M. after the 1860 census? Did he die in the Civil War, or just move to Texas
after the War, as his son James Madison did?
Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated.
Pat Andrews,
3003-38th Street
Lubbock, TX 79413

Foshees in Natchitoches Parish

Betty Monk Ryman (View posts)
Posted: 28 Jan 1999 12:00PM GMT
Pat:

I, too, am interested in the Foshees in Natchitoches Parish around 1850. Isaac Monk married Martha(?) Foshee and the three children listed on the census are Andrew, Benjamin, and Dixon. Does anyone have any information about this family?

Betty Monk Ryman
dryman@sat.net

FOSHEE

Scott Klamert (View posts)
Posted: 28 Apr 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: MOSS, FOSHEE
I was just curious, I think I am related to Andrew MOSS b.28-Feb-1879 m. 14-May-1908 to Emma FOSHEE d. 26-Dec-1954 bu.Bellwood Cemetery. Do you have any information on these two? This is all I have.

Re: FOSHEA/FOSHEE/FORSHEE

suejohnson_s (View posts)
Posted: 29 Jun 2001 11:54PM GMT
Surnames: Foshea
My gr. grandfather was James Madison Foshea. born?1850 Married Colista Johnson. know very little other than he came from Louisiana.

Re: Foshees in Natchitoches Parish

Suzyzroots (View posts)
Posted: 27 Feb 2002 7:18AM GMT
Edited: 6 Sep 2002 3:02AM GMT
Surnames: HOLLAND, MONK, LEE
Hi, Betty...........

I wrote you, re HOLLAND-MONK lines, via E-mail awhile back but mail was returned to me.....

I just read this particular posting and I see it was posted in 1999......you may already have this info:

1850 Natchitoches Parish, LA........

HH1
WAGLEY, Philip
Mary (nee MONK)

HH2
LEE, Harris, 38, NC
Caroline, 24, GA (nee HOLLAND)
Mary, 6, LA
Thos. F., 5, LA
Japser, 1, LA

HH4
HOLLAND, John, 25, SC
Nancy, 20, AL (nee MONK)
Isaac, 2, LA
Dixon MONK, 13, AL

HH7
FORSHEM, Nathaniel, 69, SC (FOSHEE?)
Sara, 69, SC
George MONK, 12, LA
Elizabeth MONK, 10, AL

HH 13
Issac MONK, 52, SC
Andrew, 27, AL
Benj., 17, AL
Dixon, 15, AL

HH17
HOLLAND, harris, 67, NC
Mary, 66, SC (nee MONK)

As you can see, Isaac's wife does not appear on the census...most likely she had died.......

The MONK, FOSHEE & HOLLAND families were neighbors in SCarolina, migrating to AL & GA & LA.....

Hope this is of some help...........

Suzy

franpoole1 (View posts)
Posted: 20 Aug 2012 3:04AM GMT
There are no stories about him or his father? We are all curious about him. I do believe when he came back from the civil war he left with the older children he had by his first wife, possible Mary Ann Foshee. I am from his second wife Samantha Dixon. They had several children. Greene Warren Foshee is my great grandfather. It appears he left her shortly after he came back. Greene was born about a year later after the war ended. We heard William left and went to Texas. We heard Samantha Dixon came from Florida (she was part Indian). In the 1850 census he lived in Florida with Mary Ann Foshee. He and Samantha Dixon married in 1856 in Sabine Parish. My grandmother said my grandfather talked about a Marion Foshee coming to visit I am assuming as a child. Marion and James Madison were both born in 1850. They may be twins or born within the same year.

lee strong (View posts)
Posted: 14 Apr 2014 6:21PM GMT
Helllo Ms. Johnson,

I am also a relative of Colista Johnson.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions