Search for content in message boards

Newt Ward in Birmingham, AL

Newt Ward in Birmingham, AL

tkendrick67 (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jun 2010 5:31PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Ward
I’m looking for any information placing my great-grandfather, Newton Coleman Ward, in Birmingham, Alabama. He was born in 1890 and died in 1974. I can place him in Fannin County, GA or Murray County, GA during each census year up to 1930, so his time in Birmingham probably was between census years. I think he probably lived there before he was married in 1909. According to my grandmother, he worked as a streetcar driver.

Does anyone have information on him or can you point me toward a source?

Thanks,
Tonia Kendrick
www.toniasroots.net

Re: Newt Ward in Birmingham, AL

bobeddings (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2010 12:54PM GMT
I dont know when your Newton Coleman Ward was in Birmingham, but I have found some other info on him. Possibly you already know what I am going to say.

When he was born is questionable. Per the 1900 census of Fannin Co., Ga. he was born "10/1891". On the Social Security Death Index it says 10/24/1890. He died 8/1/1974. On 6/27/1909 he married Rachel Louise Johnson and had at least 5 children: Nellie (born 1910); Ruby (1912); Worth (1914); Ellen (??-1917); and Bondell (1918). The name Ellen might not be correct. Possibly Newton was born in Pickens Co., Ga. to William and Tabitha Ward. William was born ca 1836 and Tabitha 1-2 years later. For about $30 you can get a copy of his original Social Security Application which may have some info about his parents, such as Tabitha's maiden name, etc. Good Luck. Bob Eddings.

Re: Newt Ward in Birmingham, AL

tkendrick67 (View posts)
Posted: 11 Jun 2010 4:20PM GMT
Surnames: Ward
Hi Bob, thanks for the response.

Newt was born 24 Oct 1890 in Fannin County, GA. I have this from both his death certificate and headstone, as well as the SSDI. I feel confident that that date is correct.

His parents were William H. Ward and Mary Lourania Forrester, both of whom are reported on his death certificate. I also trust my grandmother's memories of her grandparents' names.

As far as the children are concerned -you're right, Ellen is not correct - it should be Ellerie. There are two other children - one is my grandmother and the other is her next oldest sister who died a few months ago.

Thanks again,

Tonia Kendrick
www.toniasroots.net
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions