Search for content in message boards

McKnights of St. Clair, Patton Twps.

McKnights of St. Clair, Patton Twps.

Dana Thompson (View posts)
Posted: 23 May 1999 12:00PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: McKnight, Thompson, Connor, Conner, Borland, Murdock, Cusenno, Estep
My gg-grandmother Mary N. McKnight (b. March 1825 "valley of the Turtle Creek;" d. 11 July 1904 Murrysville) in 1843 m. John Thompson (1811 - 28 March 1890) Patton Twp. farmer sketched on p. 716 of Warner's 1889 county history. The sketch says Mary was "a native of Washington county, dau. of Joseph and Elizabeth (Connor) McKnight" but I haven't yet found a connection to the McKnights and Connor/Conners of that county. Instead, my hunch is that Mary may be a gr.dau. of Cornelius Conner (or Connor) of St. Clair Twp. in Allegheny Co., based primarily on Cornelius' will recorded 8 Oct. 1832 which lists ch. William, John, Rebecca, Margaret Borland, Mary Murdock, Nancy Cusenno, Elizabeth McKnight, Susanna Estep, and a neighbor named McKnight. The 1830 census lists a Joseph McKnight in that twp. with dau. of around Mary's age (and numerous other ch.) Cornelius is apparently the son of Sgt. Cornelius Conner of Winchester, Va. who has numerous entries in the DAR register. In the yard of Unity United Presbyterian Church in Unity, several miles north of Monroeville, I found "Joseph McKnight d. Jan. 29, 1844 in the 52 year of his age; Eliza, wife of Joseph McKnight d. Aug. 25 (26? 29?) 1848 in the 49 year of her age." Are these Mary's parents? I'm interested in any sort of lead on her family.

Thompson, Clark

Posted: 6 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: Thompson, Donley
There were no sisters that I know of -- just the brothers William, James, John and Alexander that reached adulthood. William and James I think married Agnes and Jane Donley, respectively; Alexander I know nothing of. John had a gr.grandau. Florence, b. ca. 1915, dau. of Charles Kendall Thompson and Lula Schlossnagel, who m. a Clark; it's the only Clark connection I have a record of.

John THOMPSON

Kristin Clark (View posts)
Posted: 6 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: THOMPSON, CLARK
I was wondering if you had any further information on John Thompson, your gggrandfather? Floranna Thompson, my ggggrandmother, lived in the same area as your relatives (Patton, Plum, Penn Twp. etc.). Perhaps your John could be her brother. Floranna, or Anna, or Flora (she went by all names) was born around 1815 and died 1875, and married James CLARK, b. 1806 or so. Let me know if you believe it is possible that John and Floranna could be related. Thanks, Kris Clark
clark1930@duq.edu

CLARK

Posted: 13 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: CLARK
Sorry, don't know any of those names, my James Clark was married to Floranna Thompson. I have, however, run across the surname ROBINSON associated with my Clarks. This family lived in the Penn Hills area. The Clarks are my father's family, but the REEDS are on my mother's side, so there is no link between CLARK and REED in my family until you get to my brother and I. Sorry. Let me know if I can help you with anything else.

CLARK

glennmc1 (View posts)
Posted: 13 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 28 Apr 2002 6:47PM GMT
Surnames: CLARK, McCONNELL
Hi, Kristen,
I'm looking for LOUISA CLARK who married ELISHA ROBINSON McCONNELL (born 05 July, 1847). Her parents were JAMES CLARK and MARY McGINNIS. Louisa also had a brother named FRANK CLARK, and I expect there may have been other siblings. They lived in the Allegheny/Armstrong County areas. I notice you have both REED and CLARK in your ancestry, as I do. I'm hoping we can find a connection. Thanks for your help. Linda

McConnell connection

MARYCF (View posts)
Posted: 14 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Edited: 24 Jun 2001 12:51AM GMT
Surnames: McConnell, Montgomery
Allegheny County, Pa - Could you tell me if your Thomas McConnell lived in Ontario, Canada -
thanks,
Mary

CLARK/ROBINSON

Surnames: CLARK
Sorry, nothing sounds familiar to me. Probably no connection, but I'll keep you in mind if I ever run across Robinsons again. Thanks Anyway, Kristin

CLARK/ROBINSON

glennmc1 (View posts)
Surnames: CLARK, ROBINSON, McCONNELL
I don't know Pennsylvania geography, so I'm not familiar with the Penn Hills area. My Robinsons, I am told, are from "Perry Township in the north of Armstrong County along the Alleghney River between Butler Co., immediately west, and Clarion County on the river's opposite shore".
My Robinson's are: ELISHA ROBINSON and ELIZABETH ROHRER ROBINSON and several children, one of whom was OLIVE ROBINSON (b 28 June 1822 and married Thomas McCONNELL). My Elisha Robinson had a farm, and struck oil there, becoming fairly well-known, I think. Any of this ring a bell? Thanks. Linda

THOMAS McCONNELL

glennmc1 (View posts)
Posted: 15 Jul 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McCONNELL
Hi, Mary
To my knowledge, my Thomas McConnell never lived in Canada. Thomas I immigrated to the U.S. about 1794, and settled in Pennsylvania. He married Sarah Reed by 1813, when his son Thomas II was born. And he, also, as far as I know, Stayed in the same area. Thanks for your response.
Linda

McKnights of Upper St. Clair Twp.

Posted: 1 Aug 1999 12:00PM GMT
Surnames: McKnight
I have the idea, rightly or wrongly, based on the pre-1850 census, that Mary had only sisters. There was also a John McKnight in that region of about the age of Mary's father Joseph -- perhaps they were brothers. I think John had sons, but I haven't been able to trace his descendents. Mary had a son James Albert Thompson (b. 6 Aug. 1857; m. Westanna Kennedy); middle name could be family name, but more likely has no significance. I'll be interested in what you find out about your line.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions