Search for content in message boards

Bennetts of Pennsylvania

Bennetts of Pennsylvania

gummichu (View posts)
Posted: 16 Apr 2002 9:57PM GMT
Classification: Query
Surnames: Bennett, Reed, Dye, Schurr, Trimble,
I am seeking info on the Bennett lines of Pennsylvania. My 3ggrandfather was Isaac Schurr Bennett b.19 dec 1834 in York, PA. He was married to Lucy Jane Reed (Dye) b.1834 in New York.
Isaac served in the Civil War.
Isaac's parents were William bennett & Elizabeth Schurr. Thats all I have to go on. Please contact me if you have any info on this Bennett line. I have from William Bennet on down to present.
Also, children of Isaac Schurr Bennett & Lucy Jane Reed (Dye) are:
1. Essie Gallen Bennett b.1861 married Clinton Gorman
2. Rose Elizabeth Bennett b. (?) married John Sherman
3. Jerome Smith Bennett (2gg) b.1864 married Elverta Rairigh
4. Ruby louise Bennett b.(?) married Abe Bowder
5. Ada Bell b.1869 married James trimble
6 .MAry Alice Bennett b.1873 married Walter Blose
7. Dennis Foster Bennett b.& d. 21 Mar 1878

Lucy Jane Reed was also married to John Dye.
Children to John Dye:
1. Albert
2. Augustine
3. Eliza married John Trimble
4. Emma married James Van Tassel
5. Walter died when 2 yrs old.

Anyone with any information please contact me. Thanks :)

Re: Bennetts of Pennsylvania

joycebennett40 (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 7:56PM GMT
Edited: 21 Sep 2002 12:45PM GMT
Surnames: BENNETT
We have a Thomas H. Bennett born 6-9-1810 in Bradford County, Pa. He surfaced in Bath County , in 1849 when married to Viana Johnson. I can't hardly believe he was 39 when he first married, but We have not found any other info on him except after he married in 1849. I have all his children and most of their families. If this clicks with you we may be hanging from the branchs of the same family. Let me know if you have any info re: this Thomas H. Bennett Thanks, Joyce

win clark (View posts)
Posted: 17 Apr 2002 10:55PM GMT
William Bennett b.1800 to Joseph Bennett and Mary Anna Grove was my gg grandfather. He was born in Lewisberry, York, Pennsylvania, where his grandfather Samuel Grove Sr. had a gunsmith business. What would you like to know?

varrowood_1 (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2002 12:19AM GMT
Edited: 12 Nov 2003 3:50AM GMT
my grandfather is Ernest Delbert Bennett.. son of Orren Reed Bennett & Cora Gromley ( I have names of all their children.) Orren is son of Jerome Smith Bennett who married Elverta Rairigh, ( i have names of their children too). Father of Jerome is Isaac Schurr Bennett marrieed to Lucy Jane Reed (Dye) .. also have list of their children.
Isaac Schurr Bennett was born 19 Dec. 1834 in York, Pa. He fought in Civil War 1864/65. His father was William Bennett who married an Elizabeth Schurr. William Bennett would be my 4th Ggrandfather. Is this the same as your William Bennett? I am tring to find out anything I can on William and all of his children and his ancestors. Can you help?
Thanks,
Val

win clark (View posts)
Posted: 18 Apr 2002 7:10PM GMT
Dear Val,
Yes, this is the same William Bennett. He married Elizabeth Shurr. Don't know much about Elizabeth except the family rumor that she was a "Kentucky Belle". However she is buried in the Gardner-Bennett Cemetery in Glen Campbell, PA She was born Sept 6 1792 and died Sept 6 1863 aged 71 years according to the tombstone. William also is buried there and his stone reads: born September 18,1800 - died March 31,1872.
Their children were:
Eliza Jane Bennett, b.18 March 1824; d. 26 May 1909; m. Jonathan Walker Gardner.
Joseph Bennett, b. 19 April 1826; d. 24 Dec. 1855; m. Elizabeth Lingafelt. On December 22, 1845, Joseph Bennett, at age 19, received 247 acres of warranted land in Clearfield County.
John Bennett, b.28 Aug. 1828; d. 22 Feb. 1899; m. Sarah Jane Gardner. (This is the line from which I am descended)
Nancy Anne Bennett, b.10 Jan. 1832; d. 10 Dec. 1884; m. Walker Billings.
Isaac Bennett, b. 19 Dec. 1833; d. 19 Nov. 1891; m. Lucy Jane (Reed) Dye (This is your line)
Henry Bennett, d. 17 Dec. 1887; m. Sarah Hopkins.
Except for Isaac, all of William and Elizabeth's children are buried in the Gardner-Bennett Cemetery at Glen Campbell.
This is quoted from the book "Ancestors and Descendants of Norris and Elizabeth Bennett"
One detail: Elizabeth Shurr was a daughter of Adam and Barbara Shurr.
I tried to find the gravestone for Isaac Bennett, which is supposed to be next to Jane (Reed) Dye and her first husband, and located not too far from Glen Campbell, but to the east. However, I ran out of time and never did locate it. I have family that lives in Punxsutawney, PA and when I visit them I try to do a little genealogy.
William's mother, Anna Mary Grove Bennett, is buried in Burnside at the IOOF Cemetery. She died October 18, 1865 at age 81. She lived with her youngest son Isaac, who was William's brother.
William's father, Joseph Bennett, died in Lewisberry, York, PA in about 1813. After several trips to York, I have given up trying to locate a gravestone for him and I am convinced that he was buried at the Bat Pen Burial Ground at Lewisberry. It is the Old Union Lutheran and Reformed Church cemetery and since Anna Mary's parents were married at the Old Salem Lutheran Church, it seems likely that Anna Mary and Joseph attended a local Lutheran Church and with his untimely death leaving a widow and six children she couldn't afford a stone. This church has been gone for many years and I don't know how to locate records. The cemetery is untended and in fact, half has been moved for a new road.
Anyway, I can give you more information, much more information. My family has pretty well researched back from William except for a glitch on his parents. We are almost positive that his grandparents were Joseph Bennett and Rebecca Fincher, Quakers. But we are having a dispute over whether his father was Isaac or Joshua, both sons of Joseph and Rebecca. About that time the family was dropping away from the Quakers, so records are scarce. I believe that his father was Joshua, but some other family members think he was Isaac. We will probably never know.
I have lots and lots of information. Start with this and then let me know what you want next.
You can reach me directly at win5179@aol.com.
Win
ps. please excuse me if there are any typos. and feel free to ask for info, nothing pleases people who are into genealogy as much as being able to supply info to others.

OneCrabApple (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 12:38AM GMT
Edited: 10 May 2005 12:18PM GMT
Surnames: Bennett, John, Wintersteen, Wettlaufer, Smith, Rudy, Morrison, Shriner, Lewis
Win,
Have you additional syblings for Joseph Bennett, or for Isaac and Joshua? I have a Nathaniel Bennett, born around 1770. He married Mary John in 1795 in Chester Cty PA. Her family were Quakers. I have much data on their family up to me, but can find nothing on Nathaniel's parents nor any of his syblings. Any possibilities?

Bob Bennett

WIN CLARK (View posts)
Posted: 20 Apr 2002 6:53PM GMT
HI, IT COULD BE QUITE POSSIBLE TO HAVE A NATHANIEL BORN IN 1770'S TO ONE OF JOSEPH AND REBECCA FINCHER'S CHILDREN. THEIR CHILDREN ARE WILLIAM B.19 DEC 1727, SARAH B.29 APR 1733, REBECCA B. 29 NOV 1734, MARY, B 19 JUL 1736, PHEBE B.30 JAN 1738, JOSEPH B. 10 JULY 1739, JOSHUA B. 15 FEB 1741, ELIZABETH B.25 DEC 1742/43, EDWARD B. 7 MAY 1744, HANNAH B. 19 NOV 1745, ISAAC B. 21 JUL 1749.
OF THESE, ISAAC REMAINED IN LEWISBERRY AND JOSHUA MOVED TO FAWN TWP. BUT THE REST HAVE NOT BEEN THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED BY MY FAMILY.
PLEASE CONTACT ME AT WIN5179@AOL.COM SINCE THIS BOARD IS SO DIFFICULT TO ACCESS.

Re: Bennetts of Pennsylvania (Thomas Bennett)

donald baggott (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2002 1:29AM GMT
i have a thomas bennette on my list and i wonder if it is the same thomas bentte i also have alist of his brothers and sisters and his mother was salley bennett and his father was james bennett if this rings a bell give me a hollar back.

thank you,
donald

Re: Bennetts of Pennsylvania (william bennett)

donald baggott (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2002 1:32AM GMT
i have a couple of william bennetts on my list maybe i can provide you with some information?

Re: Bennetts of Pennsylvania (Thomas Bennett)

win clark (View posts)
Posted: 25 Apr 2002 3:51AM GMT
Thanks for your offer, but my Thomas Bennett was my father and he was the son of Norris and Elizabeth Bennett of Pennsylvania. If you wind up descended from Pennsylvania Bennetts let me know. Edward and John Bennett immigrated from England in about 1685. They were brothers and came to Chester County, PA. We have traced our line through Edward, Joseph, Joshua, Joseph, William, John, and Norris.
They came from Philadelphia region and moved west to western PA and Ohio.
Win
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions