Search for content in message boards

Lum McGehee (or McGehee)

Lum McGehee (or McGehee)

Myron McGhee (View posts)
Posted: 17 Jan 2004 1:23AM GMT
Classification: Query
Seeking any info on my great great grandfather Lum McGehee. He was age 47 on 1880 census of Crenshaw County Alabama. reportedly had brother relocate to southern Texas. Death certificate lists death 8pm Jan 11 1916.

Re: Lum McGehee (or McGehee)

ashabazz711 (View posts)
Posted: 24 Aug 2008 2:01AM GMT
One of Lum's children was named Gip, my grandmother father was Gip McGhee from Crenshaw county in Alabama. I also have other info. Ever heard of Mattie Hill?

davisthepreacher (View posts)
Posted: 3 Oct 2008 12:27AM GMT
Surnames: Lum McGehee
Lum McGehee of Crenshaw County, I believe was the father of my Great-Grandmother Gussie McGehee- Canty... Gussie McGehee-Canty Married Oliver Canty Nov. 29, 1906 and they had 9 children....Dud, Willie, Rosie Kate, Berbena, Ruth, Lallie Canty-Davis (My Grandmother), Ola, and Donnie... Ola is the last survior and resides in Warren Oh to this day...

myronmcghee (View posts)
Posted: 20 Nov 2008 2:15AM GMT
hello again. haven't heard from you in weeks. i just joined teh trial of ancestry again so haven't seen these messages for some time.

hope to touch base with you soon. sorry i've never heard of the name mattie hill? whats the connection?
email me at libmbm@emory.edu

ashabazz711 (View posts)
Posted: 14 May 2009 9:18PM GMT
My Grandmother, father was named Gip McGehee, he had a sister named Gussie who was 13 in 1900, Gip was 20. Gip's father was Lum McGehee. There is a connection here. Please reply. I have realtives in Warren Ohio. Do you know of any Hill's?

davisthepreacher (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2009 12:44AM GMT
Hello... Lum McGehee or (McGhee) was my great-great-grand-father. His daughter, Gussie McGehee-Canty was my great-grand-mother (born in May 1887)) who had a brother named Gip McGhee. I am from Warren, OH and yes we have a big family! I'd love to meet you. Please e-mail me back.. I've got some info. I'd love to share with you.

Blessings,

ashabazz711 (View posts)
Posted: 15 May 2009 1:21AM GMT
Good to hear from you. I am interested in any info so that I can continue my search of the Family Tree. Write me at this address: ashabazz711@yahoo.com

By20toe (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2012 12:25AM GMT
Dude McGehee is your correct spelling of your slave name. Somewhere we misspell it MCGHEE we own that name and proud of it. On a lighter side, Lum McGhee was born Feb 1865 in Luvern crenshaw country alabama he was 45 in 1880. LUM had 12 children 1.Andrew 2.Sarah Ann 3.Frances 4.Charlie 5.Ely known as"JUNK" 6. Louvigenia 7.Gip my GGGF 8.Ike 9. John Sr 10.Dudley 11.Gussie and 12. Betty. Lum had 3 wives, Mary McGhee born 1841 past 1876 mother of Andrew sarah frances charlie and ely. Second wife Mary born 1857 past 1893 mother of louvigenia gip ike john dudley and gussie. Third wife Mary Born 24 march 1875 past March 24 1928 She belonged to Goodwill Chamber 2998-Luveren where i found alittle info on her talk to you later for sure you ask i will fill you in as best i know love you dude whom ever you are your my FAM by know

libmbm (View posts)
Posted: 4 Sep 2012 10:10PM GMT
Cousin,
Thanks for the reply. I'm in the Andrew line.
Can you tell me more about Mary Richardson McGhee (Lum's Last wife)?

Do you know anything about Charlie?

The name was probably misspelled because in that area of Alabama, folks pronounced McGhee/McGehee exactly the same. My guess is that someone remembered there was an H in the name but forgot about the first letter "e".

According to his headstone in the Pleasant Hill AME cemetery in Luberne, my great great grandfather Lum was born in April 1833, not Feb 1865. He had younger grandsons great grandsons born after him who also named Columbus - so it's easy to confuse diff. men named Columbus or Lum.

Do you have any old funeral programs from Pleasant HIll AME?
Who were the pallbearers were for John McGhee Sr. in 1965?
Both JW and John "Junior" know me and my dad; my dad (now 83) knew Virg, Aunt Gussie and Closie for sure, but maybe others. My great uncle Horace lived in and around Luverne and I think went to church there too.
Hope to hear from you soon.

By20toe (View posts)
Posted: 5 Sep 2012 8:31PM GMT
Hey blood if i can say that ha ha with young folks today for some reasons colors matter, anyway i have a storie tell you about Andrew who was better know as Drew. I,ll tip you off a little bit Drew ran away fron home and 1880 i,ll tell you no more for know. Man oh man still not going to tell you but it turn out good real good for on that day he met the woman he would marry Minerva Carter. Charlie Charlie Charlie i am sorry to give bad news that is good , sounds stupied but here,s the scoop. Charlie born 1873 no listed death fasten your sit belts bro, Ike Mcghee born no listed birth records. Past away March 11 1928 Marry Loretta Canty. Ike was listed in the 1900 census as 28yrs old with no birth record and Charlie was born in 1873 with no record of death we think he change his name. Ok Lum born 1835 listed birth but like you said he was born 1833, 1880 census list lum 45 and 1900 census list him at 65. THIS LUM is the father of Andrew as list in census my proof is the listed names of his children My GrandPa GIP is 7th child, now check this out, you say your father know JW and Jr. well JW is the Grandson of Closie my grandfather Gip child. Here,s Gipp,s kids Obie, William, Closie, Annie, Mattie and Ebrie my dad know as EARL. Now Gussie WAS Lum last baby from 2nd Mary. As far as Mary Richarson McGhee one child Betty it said she is a member Goodwill Chamber 2998-Luveren Alabama. Lum Might have a 4th wife Mollie as listede 1900 census.All i have is my father,s obit i,ll see what i can find out.Bless you Brother in this world we walk past familiy everday dont know so i feel like one of the lucky one,s with knowing even if i dont know you i got familiy out there and there looking peace out i know i,ll here from you . pS tell me about your dad if you dont mine LOVE FOR YOU MCGHEE CLan.
per page

Find a board about a specific topic

© 1997-2014 Ancestry.com |  Privacy |  Terms and Conditions